Which Wheelset to get for lady rider

Jedi

Can someone let me know about what to look for in new rims?  I am a novice lady rider, DON'T ride in the bunch, average about 2min/km, love the hills and weigh about 52kg.

I currently have Alexrims DA16 on my bike but have been told they are Cyclocross rims and I should look for something lighter.

I might have an opportunity to upgrade and would like to know what to start looking at in the shop without out being sold something which does not suit how I ride.  I have a Specialized bike with Shimano 105 (10 speed).

I want a strong, light rim that will make it over a pothole without cracking.  What prices am I looking at and what make.  I am not worried out "the look" of the wheel, just the performance and durability, ie. doesn't have to be Zipp, etc.

Jedi: Look for the Spinergy Xaero-Lite.

Advanced PBO fiber spokes - 18 front/24 rear

Force 12 hub, utilizes 12 driving spokes for maximum torsional stiffness

Custom US made alloy freehub system with vacuum seal. CNC machined hubs, with sealed cartridge bearings for minimal rolling resistance.

Semi-aero, 24mm alloy rim

Shimano 8/9/10 or Campy 9/10 compatible

Skewers and truing tools included

Colors: White graphics with black or white spokes

Sizes: 700c/650c clincher only

Weight: 1540g/pair (700c) 1450g /pair (650c)

UCI Approved

I've had a pair now for two years, and have had to true the rear once. Aftersales service by Icycling (the agent and hubber) is good, the pricing isn't that expensive (I think around R4k), and they're bombproof. Ask anyone that knows me, I'm HARD on equipment and these have taken the punishment!

Solomons in Pretoria currently have Mavic Aksiums on special for R1499. If you have a nice set build with Ultegra hubs and nice rims it will last you a lifetime. It will cost about R3500. There is a guy advertising in the back of the Ride mag that actually guarantees his wheels to stay true.

Just too bad the same can't be said for the hubs! Look at a set of Ultegra hubs or American Classic hubs (the new ones, they've sorted out their previous hub issues) and build them onto Mavic Open Pro's, for your weight I would recomend a 28 hole configuration.

I'd second TT's recommendation.  If you are not racing in bunches, semi aero rims like the Spinergy's and Ksyriums/Aksiums will not be of much benefit.  If you are wanting to climb a lot, a set of bombproof and light wheels can be built with an Ultegra hub (I would be careful about AM hubs - they had many issues, whether these are resolved I don't know) and Mavic Open Pro rims.  The spokes should either be DT Swiss Revolution or Sapim CXRay's to lighten the wheel more.  At your weight there is little likelihood you will need extra strength spokes or more than 28 per wheel.

Like your spoke choice (CX Rays) these spokes rock, unfortunatley they are very (very, very) hard to get hold of in this country, the Sapim boys refuse point blank to bring them in, and this after I got hold of the Sapim guys in Belgium. Eventually I had to get some from the States to build up my wheels. But yeah you should be light enough to use the Revolutions, personally I try to not use them on back wheels but you shouldn't have a problem at all.

If you get a good wheelbuilder he will know to use stronger spokes on the drive side then the non drive side. He can even do the funkt straight lace on the non-drive side and 3 cross on the drive side.

Who in Jhb is a good wheel builder?  And what would a set like the one mentioned above cost?

Mavic Opens with DT Swiss will do the job, very strong. I did a race yesterday with a set and hit an object in the road going 40 + kmh blowing the rear tyre. Damage to rim was zero despite riding a quite a distance on them as i was in a bunch and had to work my way to the side. Ultegra will be best, but 105 work well also.

If its reliability, looks and performance you are after without having to rob a bank then also have a look at the Easton Circuits, 24 front 28 rear spk. Shimano compatible only, but then that is the better option. Best quote i got when i was pricing them was from Impey Cycles in Bedfordview

20061031_000226_wheels_circuit.jpg

I can vouch for the Easton Circuits. They came with my bike and I've done more than 15 000km on them including used them for racing. They've done well and are priced at around R 3500. They're not "bling" wheels so don't expect ppl to make wow comments about them.

And I just thought one went out and bought two new wheels and popped them in!    Didn't realise one could have different spokes, hubs etc.  Thanks to everyone for their feedback and suggestions.  At least I will have more of an idea at the bikeshop about what the salesguy has to offer.  WOW, this cycling story looks like it can turn into an expensive hobby, but it certainly is good fun!

Jedi, it's only expensive if you want the best, but then again if you buy cheap you have to/want to replace soon. Never buy the best, buy the best you can afford.