Costal bike stores

Forthelove

Some of us have received excellent service from coastal bike stores but some not so! Why the difference?

Edited by Forthelove

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Western Cape, Northern suburbs:

For SERVICING -

- Mark's Workshop

- Knipe_Racing

For parts, components, accessories .... uhm ja .... lottery with the low stock levels.

Got decent service from:

- Giant Durbanville

- Geko Cycles

- Cyclosports

Sadly the single store with the widest range of accessories .... CWC .... DO take your phone with you, while in the shop, search their online shop for the better prices .... R100 difference last week on tires, as soon as I refered to the online price it was marked down .... BUYERS BEWARE ....

Yes go to Ride Life - The chap is excellent he went out of his way in George

Edited by Forthelove

Western Cape, Northern suburbs:

For SERVICING -

- Mark's Workshop

- Knipe_Racing

For parts, components, accessories .... uhm ja .... lottery with the low stock levels.

Got decent service from:

- Giant Durbanville

- Geko Cycles

- Cyclosports

Sadly the single store with the widest range of accessories .... CWC .... DO take your phone with you, while in the shop, search their online shop for the better prices .... R100 difference last week on tires, as soon as I refered to the online price it was marked down .... BUYERS BEWARE ....

OP was specifically referring to Garden Route IMO.

But there you go again.................................

What does it help trying to negotiate with a bike shop owner that you COULD get it cheaper at CWC?

If you find yourself in one of these shops, it's usually not out of choice. It's because something has broken. These are out of the way places, and it will almost always cost you more to get it fixed than taking it to your LBS or comparing online prices.

Word of advice Chris:  load your brain before you shoot your mouth off.

(Matt, this is advice, not a personal attack)

What does it help trying to negotiate with a bike shop owner that you COULD get it cheaper at CWC?

If you find yourself in one of these shops, it's usually not out of choice. It's because something has broken. These are out of the way places, and it will almost always cost you more to get it fixed than taking it to your LBS or comparing online prices.

Word of advice Chris:  load your brain before you shoot your mouth off.

Pretty sure he was referring to the fact that when you go into CWC, often their online store is cheaper for some products than in person shopping and only when you bring this to their attention do they mark it down in store.

But hey, maybe I'm just shouting my mouth off. 

P.S. You seem to have a genuine inability to be decent! Prick 

Yes go to Ride Life - The chap is excellent he went out of his way to help me. I won’t talk about what happened at the Specilized store.... in George.. if you go into that store you need to actually you must leave your wallet in your car because they may correction will “remove it without you knowing!!!!!

Had similar experience. Upsell is one thing when you are in the market for an upgrade, but dissing your current S-Works model to attempt a sale is not cool. When no sale is imminent, any form of service is shutdown. Then you might as well be furniture. I almost feel violated when leaving the store.

Edited by B20

Yes go to Ride Life - The chap is excellent he went out of his way to help me. I won’t talk about what happened at the Specilized store.... in George.. if you go into that store you need to actually you must leave your wallet in your car because they may correction will “remove it without you knowing!!!!!

Had similar experience in Spez George. Upsell is one thing when you are in the market for an upgrade, but dissing your current S-Works model to attempt a sale is not cool. When no sale is imminent, any form of service is shutdown. Then you might as well be furniture. I almost feel violated when leaving the store.

Edited by B20

Word of advice Chris: load your brain before you shoot your mouth off.

. The OP has referred to "coastal bike stores" The last time I checked Cape Town is on the coast, so ChisF's comments are valid. Edited by Eugene

. The OP has referred to "coastal bike stores" The last time I checked Cape Town is on the coast, so ChisF's comments are valid.

but my friend recently along the garden route has received terrible service where the stores are intent in making as much money as possible from the unsuspecting or vulnerable! Who had good or bad experiences ? Please share.

. The OP has referred to "coastal bike stores" The last time I checked Cape Town is on the coast, so ChisF's comments are valid.

Seems a couple of us saw a wider question, for all tourists along the coast line of SA.

But, clearly some saw this as aimed specifically to the Garden route.

@Forthelove - if you meant for this to be aimed at the Garden Route specifically, so sorry for taking this wider.  Please feel free to report this to the Mods, and have my posts on this thread removed if feel I was out of line.  Certainly was not my intention to derail your thread, rather to add value for tourists along this part of the coast line as well.

Some of my friends and my self have received excellent service from coastal bike stores but my friend recently along the garden route has received terrible service where the stores are intent in making as much money as possible from the unsuspecting or vulnerable! Who had good or bad experiences ? Please share. It would be good to have a list of the honorable stores worthy of support!

but my friend recently along the garden route has received terrible service where the stores are intent in making as much money as possible from the unsuspecting or vulnerable! Who had good or bad experiences ? Please share.

Pretty sure he was referring to the fact that when you go into CWC, often their online store is cheaper for some products than in person shopping and only when you bring this to their attention do they mark it down in store.

But hey, maybe I'm just shouting my mouth off. 

P.S. You seem to have a genuine inability to be decent! Prick   

Can't argue with an idiot.

When your bike is broken, and you're on holiday, and you take it in to a local shop, you don't have the luxury of having time on your hands.

You need it to be fixed, on the spot. The shop knows this, and will charge you according to their scale.

You have the choice to pay their price, or pack your bike away for the remainder of the holiday and do your online shopping when you get back.

I'm fully capable of being a nice guy, but when one has to deal with some guy on a forum who shouts his mouth off all the time like this Chris character it gets a bit frustrating.