Riding with contact lenses vs RX frames & lenses

DR ◣◢

I'm trying my best to love contact lenses but I just can't get used to it. A couple of months of poking my eyeballs is starting to annoy me. 

I'm very tempted to get some basic frames and getting prescriptions lenses fitted. I will however miss my EV Zero Oakleys. 

Who has gone the RX route instead of contacts and what frames did you end up using? 

I’ve tried riding with my normal specs but find that they don’t go high enough over the eyes so I land up have to look over the frame the entire time.

Have been wanting to go prescription lenses on cycling glasses but the cost has held me back, so I just ride with normal cycling sunnies

I’ve tried riding with my normal specs but find that they don’t go high enough over the eyes so I land up have to look over the frame the entire time.

Have been wanting to go prescription lenses on cycling glasses but the cost has held me back, so I just ride with normal cycling sunnies

Do you use contact lenses? 

I rode with normal specs for a long time and I didn't mind at all. Until that one day I hit deck and used my face to brake. R6000 went bye-bye. Wasn't insured at the time unfortunately. 

Everything else I can find online is around the R5000 mark for prescription sunglasses. 

I guess I need to keep poking my eyeballs. 

I'm trying my best to love contact lenses but I just can't get used to it. A couple of months of poking my eyeballs is starting to annoy me.

I'm very tempted to get some basic frames and getting prescriptions lenses fitted. I will however miss my EV Zero Oakleys.

Who has gone the RX route instead of contacts and what frames did you end up using?

Same here! Also tried the contact lenses, but I get hayfever and tend to scratch my eyes alot. Rode once home with one contact lense - not cool.

I had the Adidas Evil Eye's with inserts, but the cost just got rediculas. Looked at Oakley and other options, but my budget did not agree.

I actually found the cheapest pair of glasses, JAVWELD, with 5 different lenses, carry case for everything and an insert, for R300.00 The inserts was prescriptions added for R1000.

Yes its not Oakley or Adidas quality, but I like it and it fits well. And if something happens, the financial loss is not that big.

Same here! Also tried the contact lenses, but I get hayfever and tend to scratch my eyes alot. Rode once home with one contact lense - not cool.

I had the Adidas Evil Eye's with inserts, but the cost just got rediculas. Looked at Oakley and other options, but my budget did not agree.

I actually found the cheapest pair of glasses, JAVWELD, with 5 different lenses, carry case for everything and an insert, for R300.00 The inserts was prescriptions added for R1000.

Yes its not Oakley or Adidas quality, but I like it and it fits well. And if something happens, the financial loss is not that big.

Never tried contacts, too much of a chicken to get my finger anywhere close to the eye.

I tried the Evil Eyes but found they messed with my depth perception,

I ride with Oakley prescription glasses now and wouldn’t change. They not cheap though, luckily my medical aid has covered both my pairs.

I wasn’t aware the clear lenses would be the cut out type until I went to collect, personally I think they look crap like that but hey, I only use them on overcast days.

post-92079-0-83681100-1608629242_thumb.jpeg

post-92079-0-42181000-1608629264_thumb.jpeg

I also had this issue - hate touching my eyes and as soon as there was a bit of dust in the air the contacts started getting scratchy. For years I cycled with those Wayfarer-like prescription sunglasses which worked fine, until I hit a shady or misty spot and then had to choose between being dark-blind or blurry-blind.

While it's not what you asked, my solution was to get laser eye surgery. Did mine mid-2020 (feels like a decade ago) and its been nothing but awesome. Only thing I regret is not doing it sooner. If you are lucky enough to have the right type of defect, and some cash lying around, I could not recommend it highly enough. Two friends have also done it recently, although with a different doctor and a different method and they are both SUPER happy as well.

I bought the Rudy Project Rydons that take a mini prescription set of lenses that clip in behind the main front normal sunglass lenses. I lost them and purchased another pair of Rydons on BikeHub (R1500) and ordered a second pair of the clip ins (cost about R2300 - bifocals). Work extremely well as I can change the front "sunglass" lenses to suit the different weather conditions. They look a bit old fashion but work perfectly for me...

Do you use contact lenses?

I rode with normal specs for a long time and I didn't mind at all. Until that one day I hit deck and used my face to brake. R6000 went bye-bye. Wasn't insured at the time unfortunately.

Everything else I can find online is around the R5000 mark for prescription sunglasses.

I guess I need to keep poking my eyeballs.

I tried contact a number of years ago, but due the particular defect in the one eye we could not get a prescription that was just right, I fell between 2 different “settings”.

At some point I need to invest in these bifocals. Been avoiding it simply because my eyes adjusted (strong one eye compensating for the wekaer one). One thing for sure is I cannot cycle without photochronic lenses and Rudy"s suit me perfectly for that reason and the other reason is that I have a small nose bridge which needs an adjustable nose pad. They are spot on with their design and hense the reason I dont ride with Oakley's or any other brand. I am yet to find a similar brand that has this adjustable nose pads. Im just curious do these inserts add weight to the glasses or onnthe nose bridge?

Rydon ( Rudy ) with direct Rx clips - bulletproof

does it not add significant weight to the glasses?

Also do the RX inserts not sit to close to your face?

I'm trying my best to love contact lenses but I just can't get used to it. 

Have you tried testers from a different brand? I am a long time user of contact lenses and some brands are a lot more comfortable than others. 

As gerriemtb stated, ask the optician to trial different brands of lenses.

They have huge comfort difference, I'm blind as a bat without lenses or specs so I need them.

I have hayfevere aswell and thus far my lenses give me no issues but then again I'm on a steroid type hayfever tablet

The Rydon inserts don't add any significant weight (all plastic) but as they fit behind curved sunglass lenses the optics isn't 100% due to the slight curvature they have to conform to, but its acceptable and doesn't affect my riding vision. The arms take a bit of adjustment to get them perfectly comfortable. 

If I stop cycling they do mist up a bit due to the heat from my face and double layer of lenses but once riding again they clear up pretty soon.

Edited by RobbyB

Contacts and Oakley Sutro seems fine.

I even used some ocean eyewear sunglasses don’t remember the model but they were fine. The contacts just need to be a different brand. The optometrist can order you trials of the brands they usually do or most times they have in the store. I have astigmatism so I have to order mine in advance. The touching of the eyes and weird feeling I got was the sill as they call it wasn’t the right fit of the lenses and I got the discomfort