Vittoria question

RDL101

Hi. My much loved Ardent race tyres were worn out so I decided to try something new and got a Vittoria Barzo front tyre for my bike. On the first ride the front of the bike felt skittish and felt less than confidence inspiring through loose soil. Does anyone have long term experience with the Barzos over various terrain types? My riding varies between local rocky tracks, sandy bits and also tar to the start of the nice bits. Tyre is 2.35 set up tubeless.

I like the Barzo more than the Ardent Race.

I found it has a running in period and a longer useful life than say the Mezcal.

If you are using the Cape cobra version there is extra rubber in the side walls (apparently) so that could contribute to a less supple and bouncy feel. May need to drop the pressure by 0.1 bar

I like the Barzo more than the Ardent Race.

I found it has a running in period and a longer useful life than say the Mezcal.

If you are using the Cape cobra version there is extra rubber in the side walls (apparently) so that could contribute to a less supple and bouncy feel. May need to drop the pressure by 0.1 bar

It is the cape cobra one. Maybe it will still run in a bit as you say- I did notice the bouncy feeling. Will put some serious km’s on it over the holiday period and hopefully I will adjust or the tyre will run in.

Been running the same tyres for a while, not my favourite but not my worst either.
Find they're pretty unpredictable on loose over hard terrain. Great on hard pack, roots and rocky stuff though (like Thaba) In mud they fair pretty well and shed dirt quickly.
Rolling speed is ok.

For some reason I picked up a lot of pinch cuts to the rear tyre, swopped it over to the front wheel and no problems since.

Barzo at 2.35 should be very good on the front at the right pressure. I'm keen to try it when my Ardent gives up. You could probably run it at the back as well.

From experience on a Mezcal. Its a rear tyre only! and keep far away from any wet muddy tracks.

I made the mistake of thinking it would be ok in Sabie in Feb...how wrong I was....lucky to have survived that mud.

Great in winter in SA - Mezcal loves dry and hard conditions to roll fast.

I've been running the Barzo front with a Mezcal back combo for well over 4000km now. I run it with some Cobalt 2's (only 22 spoke) wheels. And yes, initially they felt quite skittish, but, tire pressure is key. On the front you need to drop the pressure to between 1.6 & 1.8 to get ultimate grip and feel more in control. I don't even go higher than 1.8 - 2.0 at the back anymore

Just over 2 bar

Eina! that is way hard. I do 2 Bar when riding on the road and I am 104kg.

On the mountain I am currently running 1.4 - 1.5 Bar for off-road on a hard tail. I only sort of bump through when I am tired and riding rocky climbs seated.

With the Barzo and Mezcal I ran the front at 1.4bar and the rear at 1.5.

With the Pirelli I am on 1.7 and 1.8 (F/R) for the Lite and the Soft Terrain front is 1.5 and the Rear specific is 1.65 bar.

Pressures should vary per tyre make and model due to different construction and amount of rubber.

Agreed with TDFN and Diesel above, I run my Barzo on the front at 1.4 bar (20 PSI), and my Maxxis Ikon at 1.5 (22 PSI) on the rear.

I love the tyre, has a decent blend of grip in our dry, rocky WC conditions, relatively fast rolling, and no issues with cuts or punctures in about 3 years of running them.

Barzo's do not like dry / loose over hard terrain. Its a good winter tyre though when it can bite into the loamy soil.

Same with Nobby Nic.

Thank you for all the replies. I will play around with the pressure a bit and see how it goes. I tend to ride to the trails from my house so don’t want to run too low pressure on the tar.

I recently put a set of Barzo 650B tyres on my wife's trail bike and so far they have held up well. We mostly ride sand and hard pack with occasional rocks. Pressure is 1.6 for front and rear.