Motorists vs Cyclists.... again

Terminator

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Lol...hardly any story there..someone cycling in the road...someone hooted...someone did something else...bit of pushy shovey...Just 1/3 of what actually happened...

No real outcome....Just Capetonians acting like like Gautengers...

But the FB comments, as always, are the real winners! :thumbup:

I liked this one....

He is just angry because he cant play golf....

Maybe he is a Gautenger we all ran down to the coast in December to avoid the Cape Town driver's

three cyclists don't appear to riding next to each other in the photo rather they're staggered one behind the other.

Motorists have this stooopid idea that cyclists must be directly behind each other.at all times.

Well we are not all highly trained track pursuiters....

The rest sounds like the motorist started the confrontation since the vehicle had to stop the driver get out and then flag the cyclists down.

No reason for either party to start a fight. People are just to ******* edgy in 2020.

Flooring a 72 yr old, seems cowardly on the face of it but we haven't heard the cyclists side of the story yet.

Edited by DieselnDust

three cyclists don't appear to riding next to each other in the photo rather they're staggered one behind the other.

Motorists hae this sooopid idea that cyclists must be directly behind each other.at all times.

Well we are not all highly trained track pursuiters....

The rest sounds like the motorist started the confrontation since the vehicle had to stop the driver get out and then flag the cyclists down.

No reason for either party to start a fight. People are just to ******* edgy in 2020.

Flooring a 72 yr old, seems cowardly on the face of it but we haven't heard the cyclists side of the story yet.

I get the impression they all stopped at the look out and the cyclist had a go. 

In the picture they look to be riding in perfect amateur half wheel formation. The driver hooting at them for that needs a glass of shut the hell up.

But violence... pffft.... Idiots

I think cyclists and motorists often have I different view on hooting.

A few days ago I had an incident where I was cycling on a quiet street with no oncoming traffic and a guy hoots at me then passes. A little bit further on he’s stopped at the lights and I pull up next to him. I ask him in a very non aggressive way if there was some reason he hooted at me? He says he just wanted to make sure I knew he was there.

I explained that when riding someone hooting causes friction as cyclists see it as threatening and aggressive so he should just give us some space and carry on. He seemed to take that onboard and thanked me for the info! Maybe one less motorist hooting and causing agro I hope.

Edited by Barry_W

...we haven't heard the cyclists side of the story yet.

I assumed that the initial passing happened near the Point parking and the altercation ensued when both parties were there.?

Tjop or not, I would like to hear both sides of this story ...

Everyone has a different opinion such that no opinion posted here is RIGHT!

I happen to not agree with you Barry,

I appreciate it when a motorist/car hoots when approaching from behind

as it is often the case that I don't hear cars approaching from behind.

Nothing worse than chastising a driver for courteously warning you

that he approaching from behind.

How can a hoot be aggressive?? (Maybe only if he hoots more than twice in a row or

holds his hand on the hooter for a while...) Please don't think that every hoot is saying:

Get the Hell out of my way!

Yes, road cycling is dangerous and us cyclist carry a lot of pent up anger towards

stupid motorists that don't take us into account. Yes, I've had many cars/taxi's pass

within inches (old school) of my bike and had two cars turn right into my path (both

without incident, thank goodness!)

If you're not riding with bright flashing lights, front and back and keeping left at all times

and predicting stupid driver behaviour then you're inviting danger...

Interesting one we have here.

From the photo it appears that they are riding in a single line. Not all the way on the edge of the road but definitely off to the side. As a motorist I have no issue with that at all. 

There is more to this than the innocent oom getting assaulted. 

You don't throw down without being provoked. I'm pretty sure it's a case of "holding down the hooter and passing as close as you can" and then the cyclists "**** you you ****" with fingers held high. 

After this everyone stopped and oom got out of his car and the proverbial **** hit the fan. 

I hope the cyclists also laid a charge against the oom instead of just assaulting him and running off. 

In my humblest of opinions both are at equal fault for escalating a situation that could have just been left to be. 

Can someone please help me to understand how some people's mind works? I honestly have never in my life had either enough "karate water" in me or been so badly wronged by a cyclist that I felt the need no wait, the urge to stop next to the side of the road and get out of my car, derail my whole day just to confront him or her. I believe some people are just out to make k@k.

The best way to diffuse conflict is to not add fuel to the fire, why bother, just walk / ride / drive away.

PS: this statement was aimed at both parties involved.

Edited by RobertWhitehead

[quote name="RobbyB" post="3750618" timestamp="1608827330

I happen to not agree with you Barry,

Nothing worse than chastising a driver for courteously warning you

that he approaching from behind.

How can a hoot be aggressive?? (Maybe only if he hoots more than twice in a row or

holds his hand on the hooter for a while...) Please don't think that every hoot is saying:

Get the Hell out of my way!

Bobby on the two points above a bit of clarity might help.

I didn’t chase the driver down and chastise him. He stopped I rolled up next to him and asked the question in a friendly manner.

The agro I was referring to is something I have seen far to often when a motorist hoots and the cyclist give the finger shouts or loses his ****.

That can escalate to what happened in the OP’s post.

Hi Barry, I'm not suggesting you chased him down

but suggested that he was being courteous...

I appreciate a hoot as a sign that a car is approaching

(just a difference of opinion).

You agree with my point then that some cyclists

(the OP's example) ride with pent up anger...to be

unleashed on the next motorist that steps out of line

no matter how insignificant.

RobbyB

Hi Barry, I'm not suggesting you chased him down

but suggested that he was being courteous...

Yes Robby he was, that was the point of my post. The driver hoots, it’s you, no problem, it’s the guy in the red top big problem.

Maybe better not to hoot?