Motorists vs Cyclists.... again

Terminator

Just about everything us wrong with this event.

The one sided sob story.

Violence to solve issues where there no issue apart from some perceived ego damage.

Attacking old people.

People who think killing cyclists is a fair reaction to us "owning the road" and/or holding up their lives for a few seconds.

The if this was my dad I would moer them stukkend brigade.

How stressed are people that this event happened in the first place then mushroomed into violence and social outrage. It's insane.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just about everything us wrong with this event.

The one sided sob story.

Violence to solve issues where there no issue apart from some perceived ego damage.

Attacking old people.

People who think killing cyclists is a fair reaction to us "owning the road" and/or holding up their lives for a few seconds.

The if this was my dad I would moer them stukkend brigade.

How stressed are people that this event happened in the first place then mushroomed into violence and social outrage. It's insane.

This is the new normal. 

On the one hand I have CY registered bakkies waiting behind me along Misty Cliffs then patiently apssing when safe to do so, on the other hand oupa's getting a stiff upper lip about 3 MAMILS causing a split second delay through a 40km/hr  speed zone.

^Lol at CY plate stigma though.

We drive around in a company registered car so it has GP plates even though it lives in CT permanently. One weekend when we were staying with the parentals north of the boerewors gordyn, I didnt depart a traffic light fast enough for a small piepie guy in a huge red jeep wrangler and got the full treatment. He continued on at whatever speed driving away in rage all while gesturing out the window like a child , passing people on the solid line probably to escape his own embarrassment. Now GP me would have reciprocated his bad mood.

WC me laughed at him..calmly drove on, and ironically caught him at a set of lights 5km down the road. I gave him a friendly curtesy hoot to catch his attention and laughed at him again...after which we blew him some kisses and departed the traffic light too slow for him again haha. Man was he in a bad mood.

Edit: but we get more hate driving around in the GP car here for sure. It’s a territorial thing i think. But i get it, i used to be the same in Gp when you come across a wc plate car trying to navigate the relative chaos that is the Gp road network haha.

Edited by morneS555

https://youtu.be/W-yiUX8af-Y

This morning in Victory Park.

Driving rather slowly to meet up with a few mates these two gents cycling on the side.

As I approched the red light I luckily decided to give them space and not speed past them. As the light turns green I accelerate to over take them.

Next moment they turn and I get the middle finger and a nice **** you.

If you are on the forum can you please Pm I would love to have a cup of tea so that you can explain why you feel your behaviour is warranted. 2e6011c1977e8a5b6fa9a1bd6bc8d734.jpg

Edited by Jaws677

Not a mask between the lot of them and not 1.5m separation either - they must careful that Cele doesn't get involved personally here.

As I approched the red light I luckily decided to give them space and not speed past them. As the light turns green I accelerate to over take them.

What I see is two cyclists turning without signaling or looking back to ensure that it's safe to do so.

Suspect they realize this when they hear your vehicle accelerating, and as is natural for some, go on the offensive as it is "obviously your mistake".

A courtesy wave and apology may have been more appropriate.

What I see is two cyclists turning without signaling or looking back to ensure that it's safe to do so.

Suspect they realize this when they hear your vehicle accelerating, and as is natural for some, go on the offensive as it is "obviously your mistake".

A courtesy wave and apology may have been more appropriate.

Agree with you there.

I also wouldn't pass cyclists in an intersection as a rule.

Who remembers the case quite few years ago when "Cyclists attacked grandpa" in the Gautent area as well.  Very similar situation.  The whole world even here on the hub were demanding the heads of the cyclists.  Even made it to the Beeld.  Very similar situation as here now.  In that case it turned out the innocent oupa was not so innocent and that he had a tendency to swing his fists in settling an argument and that witnesses came forward to state that the oupa swung his fists at the cyclists. Wonder if he was on holiday in Cape Town recently.

I do, I do,What fun it was to get amongst all the angst and stir the pot...

Driving rather slowly to meet up with a few mates these two gents cycling on the side.

If you are on the forum can you please Pm I would love to have a cup of tea so that you can explain why you feel your behaviour is warranted. 2e6011c1977e8a5b6fa9a1bd6bc8d734.jpg

Ha ha...brilliant.Maybe its a Jewish thing??

I see a lot of nothing in that video to be honest.

I see a lot crying in the post though.

Hiehie ... seen through "cyclists eyes" ....

Others could possibly see:

1. Two cyclists owning the road ... now if ever there was a topic worthy its own thread ...

2. A very patient driver not speeding past the cyclists ....

3. A very rare driver not hooting at the cyclists ...

4. At the intersection things are not all that clear from the footage ....

5. Seems the cyclists starts owning more of the road as they get to the intersection ...

6. Cyclists never indicate that they want to turn right .... downright stupid .... a lesser driver could have hurt them badly ...

7. From the footage it is not clear how the driver expected to get past the riders in the intetsection ....

8. Which begs the question ... at what point did the cyclists expect him to pass safely ? Now if they had bothered to lift a hand to show their intention to turn.....

9. Middle finger and swearing .... not so clear on this small screen .... but seems to be the standard response in SA when called out for stupid behaviour, ie turning in front of a car without indicating ....

So this video is probably more about what we DONT see .... so easy to glance back, communicate your intentions with fellow road users ....

Wish I had Comic Sans on the phone ... a few lines are obviously in gest ...

They clearly were not aware of you, but nevertheless they're at fault - they should have signaled that they were turning and moved to the centre line when stopping at the light (who turns right from the left kerb). If they had been on the centre line when the light went green then there would be no issue?