Motorists vs Cyclists.... again

Terminator

This morning in Victory Park.

Driving rather slowly to meet up with a few mates these two gents cycling on the side.

As I approched the red light I luckily decided to give them space and not speed past them. As the light turns green I accelerate to over take them.

Next moment they turn and I get the middle finger and a nice **** you.

If you are on the forum can you please Pm I would love to have a cup of tea so that you can explain why you feel your behaviour is warranted.

I'm not saying its your fault at all, but I hate it while cycling if a car "hover" behind me.  But that's a personal thing, giving them space, great, but pass at normal speed, don't "wait" for them.

Swearing at you is entirely ridiculous though.

Edited by Theog

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What I see is two cyclists turning without signaling or looking back to ensure that it's safe to do so.

Suspect they realize this when they hear your vehicle accelerating, and as is natural for some, go on the offensive as it is "obviously your mistake".

A courtesy wave and apology may have been more appropriate.

This kind of situation happens often here and considered normal, cyclists will without really looking move in front of motorists who will then give way, usually happens without any gesticulating or hooting.

Those cyclists are probably already a bit tense ( a Gauteng trait ) or something happened to make the react so offensively, I’m betting on the first case.

Fun fact - the right hand turn by the cyclists is illegal here in Denmark.

Over here if you want to turn across traffic you need to cross the intersection, hold your hand up to signal that you're stopping then stop on the far side of the intersection, turn your bike 90 degrees and wait for the traffic light to change. You then proceed "straight".

It is pretty slow and adds a ton of time to get through the city but it is proper safe and eliminates bicycles and cars crossing paths.

Edit: Around 1:55 in shows how to turn across traffic:

Edited by Eldron

This would have been a very different conversation if Jaws were a taxi or any other less aware motorist who timed the traffic light better and smoked those two idiots in the intersection.

In absolutely zero circumstance in joburg at least should you walk, run or cycle across a road without looking behind, in front, sideways, on the pavement before swinging across.

How many issues/ problems/ altercations in the world could be avoided if the person who made the mistake just put their hand up and said sorry . . . . ?

Lol...you are half right here....generally something is raised up into the air but its not indicative of an apology....

Lol...you are half right here....generally something is raised up into the air but its not indicative of an apology....

Exactly that

I've made many mistakes, or simply didn't see someone. A wave and smile with sorry mate goes a long way. But here in RSA everyone is big boet that kan like to donner anyone twice his size.

Exactly that

I've made many mistakes, or simply didn't see someone. A wave and smile with sorry mate goes a long way. But here in RSA everyone is big boet that kan like to donner anyone twice his size.

And drive white bakkies or Fortuners!

But on a serious note, after having spent some time riding around SA roads again, it is undoubtedly the middle aged boets, that seem to be the worst and most aggressive roads users.

And drive white bakkies or Fortuners!

But on a serious note, after having spent some time riding around SA roads again, it is undoubtedly the middle aged boets, that seem to be the worst and most aggressive roads users.

The 20-something lady drivers seems to have become "hasty and assertive" .... few things scare me more than being tail gated by a young lady driver, either busy on her phone or applying makeup .... and if she is in a large white vehicle a park on the pavement to let her pass .... Edited by ChrisF

• 7 months later...

There was a Karen on facebook complaining about a cyclists getting in her way and swearing at her when she swerves into them. The average speed on kalk bay main road at 11am on saturday was 15km/h, so not sure where Karen wanted to get passed the cyclists. 

Always astonished that people are in a rush to sit in traffic or a red light.

24 minutes ago, Pure Savage said:

There was a Karen on facebook complaining about a cyclists getting in her way and swearing at her when she swerves into them. The average speed on kalk bay main road at 11am on saturday was 15km/h, so not sure where Karen wanted to get passed the cyclists. 

Always astonished that people are in a rush to sit in traffic or a red light.

living in the deep south the red mist against cyclists is bubbling up again.

must be an argus soon

6 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

living in the deep south the red mist against cyclists is bubbling up again.

must be an argus soon

not just in the deep south, on the far east too.

I got hand gestures shown at me on Sunday morning because I dared to ride through a GREEN traffic light

35 minutes ago, ouzo said:

not just in the deep south, on the far east too.

I got hand gestures shown at me on Sunday morning because I dared to ride through a GREEN traffic light

on Saturday I myself and a buddy were hooted at constantly(like the lady sat on her hooter for the entirety of the distance) as we were going down Spaanschemat, She literally stayed behind us from Tokai circle all the way to the entrance to the bike park, If my phone hadn't died I would've made a video, there were zero cars coming up from the other direction, in fact it was so bad the cars behind her were overtaking her that's how clear the road was, But get this, And this is a fact, she came next to us, took her hand off the hooter and asked why do we think we own the road that we can ride next to one another, when I pointed out that yes we were next to one another BUT we were both inside the bike lane, yes, both inside the bike lane very close to one another, She told me that still does not give us the right to ride side by side and I said ofcourse it does, perhaps she should stay 1.5m away if she wants to talk to us and take her eyes off the road, she then slowed down and continued to sit on her hooter, So myself and my buddy slowed down too to about 20km/h and so did she, could hear her car struggling in 2nd gear which was quite funny. she eventually sped off after we passed the bikepark entrance. Covid really is having an effect on people mentally it seems..