Motorists vs Cyclists.... again

Terminator

16 hours ago, ChrisF said:

We drive IN and drop them at the front door !!

(Really need comic sans for android)

ja my comments are specifically directed at the Rondebosch / Newlands area. There are at least 10 schools within a 2 km radius = chaos

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

12 hours ago, jackievs said:

It is an ongoing battle... many motorists have the view that cyclists do not belong on the road.  IMHO it is due to aggression, a lack of education, intolerance, ignorance and hiding behind anonynimty.  Cars speed through the Cradle at neck-break speeds ... Porsches, mustangs and other sports models race through Cradle ... on Sunday a whole troop of motorcycles past me by driving on the yellow lane.. if I stuck my mad out I could have pushed them off their motorcycles... bunch of lazy sons of b.....s, most of them grossly overweight!!!

Interesting take on that motoring view contained within this long form interview just over a year ago. 

https://www.bicycling.com/culture/a32257789/vehicular-cycling-advocate-john-forester-dies-at-90/

On 8/5/2021 at 1:51 PM, TNT1 said:

I also used to stick my mad out all the time. I'm older and wiser now (or something) but I'm a lot more relaxed about life these days.

Or at least I keep my mad on the inside.

Thanks so much for picking up the typo... 

5 hours ago, Patchelicious said:

These comments 

30A77171-DA78-4D8C-B245-6A5FDBD872DE.jpeg

I am stunned. This guy should be lambasted in the worst way possible. To say that a youngster deserves to be killed by someone disobeying the law.... Wow!!! Some people cease to amaze!!! 

1 hour ago, Paulst12 said:

I am stunned. This guy should be lambasted in the worst way possible. To say that a youngster deserves to be killed by someone disobeying the law.... Wow!!! Some people cease to amaze!!! 

I would gladly contribute to naming and shaming this “human” making him world star famous 

6 hours ago, Patchelicious said:

These comments 

It's unfortunate, but the comment section on this posts tells you all you need to know about the attitude towards cyclists in South Africa. Here you have a driver who ploughed head first into a group of cyclists and took a young life, but half the comments still go "Well the cyclists must have been riding two abreast" or "They shouldn't even have been on the road in the first place." 

7 hours ago, Patchelicious said:

These comments 

Boggles my mind that a guy riding a motorbike would say that, the cognitive dissonance is real. Motorist have a similar view of motorbikes.

29 minutes ago, Paul said:

It's unfortunate, but the comment section on this posts tells you all you need to know about the attitude towards cyclists in South Africa. Here you have a driver who ploughed head first into a group of cyclists and took a young life, but half the comments still go "Well the cyclists must have been riding two abreast" or "They shouldn't even have been on the road in the first place." 

Make no mistake, cycling has a branding issue. Its been like that for some time.

A few years ago a fellow hubber, BDF, and I tried to run a "Considerate Cyclist" campaign. It was all about improving our behaviour to improve attitude towards cyclist. Sadly though, he was killed while riding before we could finish it all.

behaviour toward cyclist has nothing to do with cyclist behaviour. It's all about intolerance and a bullying mindset that is ingrained from young by parents and then fostered in school. Every pathway in SA life teaches us that bigger is better. We learn kindness tolerance toward animals but not toward fellow human beings. Example"

riding up Chappies on Sunday morning a White BMW 1XX passes me as close as he can because soema. Less than 20m later this same car is now braking HAF to avoid hitting a rooster crossing the road. I pull up the passenger side of the Peter oliver eating sweets while he's waiting and ask him what he thought he as doing steering his car at me.

he's response....."you F***ing pieces of **** don't belong on the road, you belong on the pavement and there is no pavement so **** off back to your township and leave the road to people what pay tax you *******************************!!!"then tries to run me down as I set off.

Every encounter with an ignorant person in this place just lowers my opinion of the people in this country, There just seems to be an endless supply and there's no consequence as I've reported the last 3 incidents with no follow up from the authorities

10 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

behaviour toward cyclist has nothing to do with cyclist behaviour. It's all about intolerance and a bullying mindset that is ingrained from young by parents and then fostered in school. Every pathway in SA life teaches us that bigger is better. We learn kindness tolerance toward animals but not toward fellow human beings. Example"

riding up Chappies on Sunday morning a White BMW 1XX passes me as close as he can because soema. Less than 20m later this same car is now braking HAF to avoid hitting a rooster crossing the road. I pull up the passenger side of the Peter oliver eating sweets while he's waiting and ask him what he thought he as doing steering his car at me.

he's response....."you F***ing pieces of **** don't belong on the road, you belong on the pavement and there is no pavement so **** off back to your township and leave the road to people what pay tax you *******************************!!!"then tries to run me down as I set off.

Every encounter with an ignorant person in this place just lowers my opinion of the people in this country, There just seems to be an endless supply and there's no consequence as I've reported the last 3 incidents with no follow up from the authorities

Yep. There a good motorists and bad motorists and then there are good cyclists and bad cyclists and the idea that a couple of people represent the greater whole is just absurd.

Most motorist at least in my experience give ample room or even wave me through a stop street when they have right of way, then you also get those that role though stop streets or cut in front of you at a circle.

6 minutes ago, Newbie321 said:

Yep. There a good motorists and bad motorists and then there are good cyclists and bad cyclists and the idea that a couple of people represent the greater whole is just absurd.

Most motorist at least in my experience give ample room or even wave me through a stop street when they have right of way, then you also get those that role though stop streets or cut in front of you at a circle.

There is, you are right.

Its when there is consequence for bad behaviour that behaviours change.

30 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

Nothing is an absolute, so the statement is already false.

While there are many reasons that contribute to the attitude/behaviour towards cyclists, and you right in your bullying example, but to simply say that cyclists behaviour bears NO impact in the attitude towards them is false.

One could argue that inconsiderate behaviour by cyclists contributes little to the deaths of cyclists by motorists, and I would agree, but this is a separate point to the one that I was making about the perceived issue that road cyclists own the road and should be subject to a motorist scorn.

In no way ever should a cyclists behaviour be used to justify their death. 

Edited by Patchelicious

4 minutes ago, Patchelicious said:

Nothing is an absolute, so the statement is already false.

While there are many reasons that contribute to the attitude/behaviour towards cyclists, and you right in your bullying example, but to simply say that cyclists behaviour bears NO impact in the attitude towards them is false.

One could argue that inconsiderate behaviour by cyclists contributes little to the deaths of cyclists by motorists, and I would agree, but this is a separate point to the one that I was making about the perceived issue that road cyclists own the road and should be subject to a motorist scorn.

In no way ever should a cyclists behaviour be used to justify their death. 

But I think we can all agree that you can obey every written and unwritten road rule there may be and you will still encounter the type of prick that @DieseInDust is describing.

1 hour ago, DieselnDust said:

Peter oliver eating sweets you say? ???????????? note to self: that's a keeper.