Motorists vs Cyclists.... again

Terminator

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, Patchelicious said:

Taking a lane in Bakoven to stop cars passing you on a blind corner, and acknowledging them, is riding defensively, and the acknowledgement of the car shows consideration. Few rational people will have a problem with this.

Riding into oncoming traffic to film a group riding 3 abreast for a social media post is not done for safety.

Spot on!

4 hours ago, Patchelicious said:

Taking a lane in Bakoven to stop cars passing you on a blind corner, and acknowledging them, is riding defensively, and the acknowledgement of the car shows consideration. Few rational people will have a problem with this.

Riding into oncoming traffic to film a group riding 3 abreast for a social media post is not done for safety.

maybe not for safety (image projection) but can be done safely ( a practice of considered behaviour)

I see reported on the cape medical response FB page that a father and son were cycling through the 4 way stop in SunValley (foot of Black Hill) and were involved in an MVA. The son is in stable condition but the dad is critical. Not sure of details. Anyone have more info?

On 8/16/2021 at 9:40 AM, DieselnDust said:

I see reported on the cape medical response FB page that a father and son were cycling through the 4 way stop in SunValley (foot of Black Hill) and were involved in an MVA. The son is in stable condition but the dad is critical. Not sure of details. Anyone have more info?

https://www.iol.co.za/weekend-argus/news/glencairn-expressway-and-kommetjie-road-intersection-deemed-problematic-for-cyclists-276fede3-9451-4b9a-ab6f-3a9fb0517d9a

25 minutes ago, Oodles said:

Some of the worst street design in Cape Town. Good luck and God speed to those that ride in those bike lanes. 

That intersection is also very tricky for cars, the robots have been replaced since the new intersection 4 times after a weekend driver has wrapped their car around it.

45 minutes ago, Pure Savage said:

Some of the worst street design in Cape Town. Good luck and God speed to those that ride in those bike lanes. 

That intersection is also very tricky for cars, the robots have been replaced since the new intersection 4 times after a weekend driver has wrapped their car around it.

No No no you have it all wrong, Its because cyclists aren't courteous enough that that intersection is problematic

11 hours ago, DieselnDust said:

No No no you have it all wrong, Its because cyclists aren't courteous enough that that intersection is problematic

I think its cause we took a photo of us riding on an empty chapmans peak that caused the Taxi to run over the 2 pedestrians and then the traffic island and lights.

Jokes aside, neither cars nor cyclists are patient, cautious or courteous enough to have a bike lane in the middle of 5 other lanes. It's a nightmare.

They should realistically make intersections like that more like the 'MyCityBus' intersections where the lights go green for cyclists in the bike lane for 20 odd seconds before the cars and keep the lanes off to one side.

I'm always waiting to get taken out on that stretch of road going up to Blackhill where the left turn slip goes 'through' the cycle lane and at the bottom of Ou Kaapse where the left slip does the same to up from Steenberg.

Cars fly up there and don't even look. 

The Noordhoek interchange going down has 2 left turn lanes into the mall, the bike lane the 2 straight lanes. Unfortunately people are always in the wrong lane, swap and change without looking and cyclists moving faster or at the same speed are in the middle of it all. 

Noordhoek/Kommetjie is now also full of rich on road 4x4 horse people and taxi's, who are the worst with regards cyclists. It's the perfect storm

I didn't do the cause much good on Sunday afternoon after an anaemic looking wispy bearded, oily ponytailed  20something with stoned eyes and sallow skin cut across me to zoom into a parking space in front of the cafe. His mate jumped out to get them the munchies they were craving and I verbally ripped the driver a new one until the adrenaline of feeling the steel swish past my skin by inches wore off and I realised that I was the caricature of the middle aged  enraged cyclist threatening to give some young idiot the hiding his father never did. He probably hates cyclists now and may mow someone down when he's next driving out to Noordhoek to score his next bongful.

1 hour ago, Mamil said:

I didn't do the cause much good on Sunday afternoon after an anaemic looking wispy bearded, oily ponytailed  20something with stoned eyes and sallow skin cut across me to zoom into a parking space in front of the cafe. His mate jumped out to get them the munchies they were craving and I verbally ripped the driver a new one until the adrenaline of feeling the steel swish past my skin by inches wore off and I realised that I was the caricature of the middle aged  enraged cyclist threatening to give some young idiot the hiding his father never did. He probably hates cyclists now and may mow someone down when he's next driving out to Noordhoek to score his next bongful.

I always enjoy your ride reports

1 hour ago, Mamil said:

....but did you rip it courteously....? that is the question.

4 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

....but did you rip it courteously....? that is the question.

I know Mamil... He doesn't call a spade an earth-inverting-horticultural implement. He is eloquent though, so Mr Weed-Weed would have been left in no doubt as to how he'd been driving

32 minutes ago, lechatnoir said:

I know Mamil... He doesn't call a spade an earth-inverting-horticultural implement. He is eloquent though, so Mr Weed-Weed would have been left in no doubt as to how he'd been driving

right so basically his punctuation was spot on!

not really sure what the solution is as I'm not a roadie, but I was driving up Rhodes drive from Kirstenbosch side to Constantia Neck and there were a few cyclists heading up. None of them were 'owning the road' but it is impossible to pass them without crossing the solid center line, so basically everyone has to break the law to get past? Also on a stunning CT day like we had over the weekend there is a constant stream of vehicles in both directions, so you're basically stuck doing 15km/h all the way to the circle.