Motorists vs Cyclists.... again

Terminator

2 minutes ago, MTBeer said:

not really sure what the solution is as I'm not a roadie, but I was driving up Rhodes drive from Kirstenbosch side to Constantia Neck and there were a few cyclists heading up. None of them were 'owning the road' but it is impossible to pass them without crossing the solid center line, so basically everyone has to break the law to get past? Also on a stunning CT day like we had over the weekend there is a constant stream of vehicles in both directions, so you're basically stuck doing 15km/h all the way to the circle.

everytime I use that road when I'm down there I'm stuck behind a truck/car/van doing 15km/h anyway, so not much different :)

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, ouzo said:

everytime I use that road when I'm down there I'm stuck behind a truck/car/van doing 15km/h anyway, so not much different :)

I knew this would come up but trucks do at least 30ks so ja not quite the same.

7 minutes ago, MTBeer said:

not really sure what the solution is as I'm not a roadie, but I was driving up Rhodes drive from Kirstenbosch side to Constantia Neck and there were a few cyclists heading up. None of them were 'owning the road' but it is impossible to pass them without crossing the solid center line, so basically everyone has to break the law to get past? Also on a stunning CT day like we had over the weekend there is a constant stream of vehicles in both directions, so you're basically stuck doing 15km/h all the way to the circle.

It's simple - wait patiently until there's a safe gap and then overtake 

1 hour ago, MTBeer said:

So?! Then that's what we motorists have to. If it's not safe to pass then don't. The problem is the impatience and entitlement of motorists that insist that 60km/hr is the minimum speed and force their way past endangering both the cyclist, themselves and on coming traffic.

What part of that is so hard for motorists to grasp?

Edited by DieselnDust

1 hour ago, Mamil said:

It's simple - wait patiently until there's a safe gap and then overtake 

None of them were 'owning the road' but it is impossible to pass them without crossing the solid center line, so basically everyone has to break the law to get past?

Maybe it wasn't clear, but this is what I was wondering about. Or is it legal to cross the solid line when safe to do so?

Just now, MTBeer said:

None of them were 'owning the road' but it is impossible to pass them without crossing the solid center line, so basically everyone has to break the law to get past?

Maybe it wasn't clear, but this is what I was wondering about. Or is it legal to cross the solid line when safe to do so?

IT isn't legal to cross on a solid white line. The solid white line says "the road is not safe for overtaking here because you can't see far enough ahead or there is traffic joining from another road or driveway so don't overtake". If there is another vehicle, be it a tractor or a bicycle or an 18 wheeler, wait patiently behind the vehicle until there is no white line and there is no oncoming traffic and then overtake and enjoy your day. 

Until those conditions are met - stay put, relax and make peace that you will get to the next robot a minute or two later than you would have had there been no cyclist or 18 wheeler. There is no problem here.

11 minutes ago, MTBeer said:

in cape town it is allowed as part of the 1m by-law

11 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

in cape town it is allowed as part of the 1m by-law

He's right you know:

From https://bicyclesouth.co.za/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/SOUTH-AFRICAN-RULES-OF-THE-ROAD.pdf

Duties of driver of motor vehicle when passing cyclists 2.
(1) The driver of a motor vehicle who passes a cyclist on a public road must— (a) exercise due care while passing the cyclist; (b) leave a distance between the motor vehicle and the cyclist of at least one metre; and (c) maintain that distance from the cyclist until safely clear of the cyclist.
(2) Despite any solid barrier line or other road traffic sign prohibiting encroachment upon the right hand side of the road, the  driver of a motor vehicle on a public road may, where the roadway is not wide enough to comply with subregulation (1)(b) or (c)  when passing a cyclist, encroach on that part of the road to his or her right, but only if— (a) it can be done without obstructing or endangering other persons or vehicles; (b) it is safe to do so; and (c) it can be done and is done for a period and distance not longer than is necessary to pass the cyclist.

2 hours ago, MTBeer said:

Yes, they are part of the traffic. Same as if you get stuck behind a horse box or a truck. Deep breathe, what is the rush?

Yesterday I was riding along Kalk Bay main road, then up Lakeside main road and then near the schools in Southern Suburbs. The cars were all going like 10km/h!!! The roads are so narrow, I had to wait till it was safe to pass!!! I had coffee to order and reels to make, what can we do about these inconsiderate drivers, polluting the roads and driving so slowly? 

9 minutes ago, Pure Savage said:

Yesterday I was riding along Kalk Bay main road, then up Lakeside main road and then near the schools in Southern Suburbs. The cars were all going like 10km/h!!! The roads are so narrow, I had to wait till it was safe to pass!!! I had coffee to order and reels to make, what can we do about these inconsiderate drivers, polluting the roads and driving so slowly? 

had similar when commuting along Rhodes Drive from Hout Bay... proper nightmare. reverted to the gravel path opposite

9 minutes ago, lechatnoir said:

had similar when commuting along Rhodes Drive from Hout Bay... proper nightmare. reverted to the gravel path opposite

I bet it was a cyclists fault somewhere the cars were going so slow.

Okay, is this thread exclusively for "cars vs bicycles" ?

Or may we have a "go" at "cyclists that cant drive cars" ?

Our office block has a basement parking for multiple tenants.  The one gent drives a distinct vehicle with a personalised number plate .... I have seen this vehicle at our regular trails, with his bike rack on.

This morning was a typical rainy Cape Town morning .... with its typical "rain traffic" .....  I was stuck behind this gent for about 3km, with him idling along at no more than a decent cycling pace .... NOPE, no cars ahead of him .....

I was thinking of this thread and having such a good laugh at "us cyclists" .... :whistling: