Motorists vs Cyclists.... again

Terminator

4 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

But lets agree that the one with the missile of death does carry a greater responsibility to not be a twat. Twats will be, but greater the responsibility  is when twat behind a wheel we will be.

A cyclist being a twat hurts only himself, a motorist being a twat has the ability to hurt many many people. I've never sat in a lounge watching the telly and then have this moment of bliss interrupted by a cyclist crashing through the lounge wall because they were so drunk they missed the corner. 

We don't often see cyclists wrapping themselves around a pole, smashing traffic lights, etc.

Being a twat on a bicycle is high risk to self lifecycle.

Being a twat behind the wheel is a high risk to others. 

Being a cyclist means that the motoring behaviour change we want to see means that we lead by example and not being a bigger twat than the other motorists because we have a bicycle on the back. to me cycling courtesy starts behind the wheel of the wheel of the motor car. Darwin will sort out the rest.

Absolutely correct!!!! 

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

54 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

These fools running the red ight, were they wearing Lifeschmyle kit??? Just this morning a few of them tested Darwin's theory at Uxbridge. I nearly took one out. It was green for me and I still checked for motorists running the red but the cyclist took me by surprise.

if as a cyclist, you run a red light you get no sympathy form me. You deserve the accident because you went looking for it. Had it been green for him and red for me then I would have been the twat.

But lets agree that the one with the missile of death does carry a greater responsibility to not be a twat. Twats will be, but greater the responsibility  is when twat behind a wheel we will be.

A cyclist being a twat hurts only himself, a motorist being a twat has the ability to hurt many many people. I've never sat in a lounge watching the telly and then have this moment of bliss interrupted by a cyclist crashing through the lounge wall because they were so drunk they missed the corner. 

We don't often see cyclists wrapping themselves around a pole, smashing traffic lights, etc.

Being a twat on a bicycle is high risk to self lifecycle.

Being a twat behind the wheel is a high risk to others. 

Being a cyclist means that the motoring behaviour change we want to see means that we lead by example and not being a bigger twat than the other motorists because we have a bicycle on the back. to me cycling courtesy starts behind the wheel of the wheel of the motor car. Darwin will sort out the rest.

I'm not sure what kit they were in. I seem to remember a few army green bibs and a black top with 2 stripes on.

I kind of feel that yes and to a degree, no, about the driver having more responsibility.

The onus is on both parties to stop behaving like idiots. The driver is more dangerous, but greater consequence doesn't always equal greater responsibility. 

I was also involved in a horrendous car accident as a youngster. My girlfriend died and it was carnage. It was 100% not my fault, but the memories and the trauma haunts me. The same can be said about a moron cyclist jumping a light or making an ill times, poor decision and landing up going splat on my windshield.

I will have to live with the trauma of having killed or maimed someone, regardless of who's fault it was, for the rest of my life.

I can assure you that holding someone's hand while they die in a bloody mess is a feeling and an image you never forget and can mess you up pretty badly for a long long time.

Thankfully I don't subscribe to this general 'ALL of us cyclists look like twats, ACT like twats' ... I'm a bit dumbfounded why some even carry on riding?

Luckily I'm old enough to not bother with what people think or say I just go about my riding in the safest possible way that I can ... yes I may here and there make a mistake and perhaps break a rule but I'm not a total twat

As I may have said once before, a few months ago I did a road ride and was quite shocked to see how many roadies just blast through red lights, the guys I was with too. I vowed to road ride solo from then on and not on a Saturday morning. The aggro from motorist twits was also huge, its as if its a hobby for some drivers.  I am totally with DD on the vast disparity in harm that a cyclist riding badly may cause compared to a car. 

3 minutes ago, Headshot said:

As I may have said once before, a few months ago I did a road ride and was quite shocked to see how many roadies just blast through red lights, the guys I was with too. I vowed to road ride solo from then on and not on a Saturday morning. The aggro from motorist twits was also huge, its as if its a hobby for some drivers.  I am totally with DD on the vast disparity in harm that a cyclist riding badly may cause compared to a car. 

Traffic rules apply to all... including red lights.. cyclists going through red lights are unacceptable!!!  

2 hours ago, jackievs said:

Traffic rules apply to all... including red lights.. cyclists going through red lights are unacceptable!!!  

And its up to us to call them out. usually I just get ignored and told to Foff but I got the request off my chest. Thereafter it's up to the rider to decide what to do next. Its their live, when the light goes out only their family suffers. 

Big group mentality is another irritation. I much prefer to ride alone and accept that I am more at risk of being taken out by some entitled twit in a steel cage.

There's lots of experience shared in these posts. Solutions are a bit thin on the ground though. The road traffic act definitely needs amendment. Traffic police need to be more visible, not setting themselves up for a career in wedding photography. Moving violations have to be dealt with immediately, not wait for someone to lay a charge at a police station. so there more legislation that needs fixing.

I get that courtesy plays a role but I'll give that shout out to a young lady driving a white Honda Jazz down Muizenberg main road on Saturday Morning around noon. If I was a single man I'd have hopped off my bike at the next traffic light and proposed right there and then. Instead I thanked her profusely and complimented her for driving is such a caring and unselfish manner. Her dad taught her so chapeau to dad, you raised and educated a beautiful human!! Never have I seen a driver so patient and conscientious of her actions as it pertained both the group I was riding with and other motorists. At no stage was she grumpy about the cyclists riding somewhat erratically, you know avoiding glass, drains, car doors etc. She handled everything with patience and humility. This one young woman really drove exquisitely and reignited my hope that if one person can be so great then so can I.

My riding mates all thanked her as we passed Boyes Drive turn off (the road widens here) and off she drove to continue her day. Dare I say that she may have influenced at least a few cars behind her into driving unselfishly. Naturally a few cars further back normality returned but its Monday and I'm still gushing over just this one driver being so lekker...

So now imagine if cyclists behaved this way while driving? Maybe we can influence driver behaviour? maybe....?

Imagine if we defended the indefensible at the braai, if we showed other drivers that driving a motorvehicle is a greater responsibility and to take pride in the humility that the privilege's affords? How lekker could cycling be despite the PH's

7 hours ago, jackievs said:

Kudos to an Oke like you on behalf of the TT rider.. spread your attitude of tolerance to your mates!

not sure how you can defend the cyclist in an instance like this!

1 hour ago, saggy said:

not sure how you can defend the cyclist in an instance like this!

Defend the cyclist? I suggest you read the post again... !  I said Kudos to the driver who allowed the cyclists to cross the red light...!?

11 minutes ago, jackievs said:

Defend the cyclist? I suggest you read the post again... !  I said Kudos to the driver who allowed the cyclists to cross the red light...!?

Sorry jackievs ...  I misread it 

11 hours ago, ChrisF said:

Good to see the "direction change" this thread has taken.

If each of us does "our bit", BOTH when behind the steering wheel and when on the bike, at least it is a step in the right direction.

I agree with you 100%...!!! It starts with us! 

“My mate Chris and I – and then Adam was further back because we have to ride in twos – [were riding] and he [the motorist] went past super close,” Turner told CyclingTips. “Like, I felt it – it was millimetres. And we were in the bike lane. So it was deliberate.

“And then he stops at the lights and he’s already got the passenger window down screaming ‘You ******* idiots – get off the road’, you know. Blah blah blah.

We caught up to him [the motorist] as he stopped at the lights. And then he’s taken off again swerving into the bike line and then he swerved at me coming into the bike lane and then swerved again into a vacant parking spot, so I’ve had to hit the brakes.

https://cyclingtips.com/2021/08/tempers-boil-over-on-melbournes-roads-as-lockdowns-continue/?fbclid=IwAR11O18je-DYW1O_noUcGa4yGn8TiUrrYu7DnPyUVIeqQANx6vidzzDWOGY

Video footage has emerged of the moment the driver tried to overtake the riders as they approached a traffic island, forcing one of the cyclists to swerve out of the way. 

The incident happened on June 26 and was caught on camera by one of the cyclists, who then submitted it to GoSafe, a road safety initiative in Wales, which then resulted in the motorist being charged with a driving offence.

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/driver-fined-pound300-for-careless-close-pass-on-group-of-cyclists?utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=socialflow&utm_source=facebook.com&fbclid=IwAR2AaOFR8NQy5Rw_si4-UYRw42L8mQvoM4xbZG6r4NI-11nDzMDUNh7Wnhs

A hit-and-run driver has been jailed for just over three years after hitting and killing a teenage cyclist. 

Leo Meek, 22, of West Way, Moreton, hit 15-year-old Jack Jones while the cyclist was on his way to his aunt's house on the Wirral near Birkenhead, in Merseyside on April 26.  

Meek fled the scene after hitting Jones at 25mph over the permitted speed limit, leaving Jones with fatal head and neck injuries.

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/jail-for-hit-and-run-driver-who-got-a-taxi-home-after-killing-teenage-cyclist

5 hours ago, Danger Dassie said:

“My mate Chris and I – and then Adam was further back because we have to ride in twos – [were riding] and he [the motorist] went past super close,” Turner told CyclingTips. “Like, I felt it – it was millimetres. And we were in the bike lane. So it was deliberate.

“And then he stops at the lights and he’s already got the passenger window down screaming ‘You ******* idiots – get off the road’, you know. Blah blah blah.

We caught up to him [the motorist] as he stopped at the lights. And then he’s taken off again swerving into the bike line and then he swerved at me coming into the bike lane and then swerved again into a vacant parking spot, so I’ve had to hit the brakes.

https://cyclingtips.com/2021/08/tempers-boil-over-on-melbournes-roads-as-lockdowns-continue/?fbclid=IwAR11O18je-DYW1O_noUcGa4yGn8TiUrrYu7DnPyUVIeqQANx6vidzzDWOGY

Video footage has emerged of the moment the driver tried to overtake the riders as they approached a traffic island, forcing one of the cyclists to swerve out of the way. 

The incident happened on June 26 and was caught on camera by one of the cyclists, who then submitted it to GoSafe, a road safety initiative in Wales, which then resulted in the motorist being charged with a driving offence.

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/driver-fined-pound300-for-careless-close-pass-on-group-of-cyclists?utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=socialflow&utm_source=facebook.com&fbclid=IwAR2AaOFR8NQy5Rw_si4-UYRw42L8mQvoM4xbZG6r4NI-11nDzMDUNh7Wnhs

A hit-and-run driver has been jailed for just over three years after hitting and killing a teenage cyclist. 

Leo Meek, 22, of West Way, Moreton, hit 15-year-old Jack Jones while the cyclist was on his way to his aunt's house on the Wirral near Birkenhead, in Merseyside on April 26.  

Meek fled the scene after hitting Jones at 25mph over the permitted speed limit, leaving Jones with fatal head and neck injuries.

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/jail-for-hit-and-run-driver-who-got-a-taxi-home-after-killing-teenage-cyclist

these murderers and psychos belong behind bars. Lockdown frustration se voet. They should take up cycling then they won't be so frustrated.

And then the usual hollow apology to get off lightly. Why not just admit that everything and own up to the bad attitude

Meek said in a letter before sentencing that he took full responsibility for his actions and that he has found it hard to comes to terms with what he had done.

Edited by DieselnDust

I think if everyone just obeyed the rules of the road it would be fine. A lot of cyclists refuse to ride in a single file, a lot of motorists try their best to drive as close as possible to a cyclist. I think the biggest problem is cars turning right infront of a cyclist making him/her swerve not to get hit. If everyone had respect for everyone else we wouldn't have a problem.

12 minutes ago, arandre said:

I think if everyone just obeyed the rules of the road it would be fine. A lot of cyclists refuse to ride in a single file, a lot of motorists try their best to drive as close as possible to a cyclist. I think the biggest problem is cars turning right infront of a cyclist making him/her swerve not to get hit. If everyone had respect for everyone else we wouldn't have a problem.

So on Sunday morning the PPA was holding a "Stay Wider of the Rider" publicity stand at the checkpoint on Chappies just about 500m shy of the lookout.

I pull over because they offering riders energade and I hear this oke chirp them. 

"are you educating the motorists or the cyclists? Because its the motorists that need the education around the meaning of "Stay wider of the rider"

Judging from their reaction they clearly did not intend to educate any motorists that day ( you know the uncomfortable gazing at the ground kicking stones while keeping your hands warm playing pocket billards sort of look gave it away) .

Meanwhile the cyclists were happily downing free energade and feasting on koeksusters maskless naturally....its hard to drink through a mask, and blocking to the entrance to the parking lot where the Hikers park....

Perfect opportunity to get the message to the motorists but there they were entertaining cyclists and handing out pamphlets to cyclists about how cyclists should pass other cyclists with a 1m gap. 

slaan my me a pap snoek maar dis V*****n dom