Motorists vs Cyclists.... again

Terminator

11 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

So on Sunday morning the PPA was holding a "Stay Wider of the Rider" publicity stand at the checkpoint on Chappies just about 500m shy of the lookout.

I pull over because they offering riders energade and I hear this oke chirp them. 

"are you educating the motorists or the cyclists? Because its the motorists that need the education around the meaning of "Stay wider of the rider"

Judging from their reaction they clearly did not intend to educate any motorists that day ( you know the uncomfortable gazing at the ground kicking stones while keeping your hands warm playing pocket billards sort of look gave it away) .

Meanwhile the cyclists were happily downing free energade and feasting on koeksusters maskless naturally....its hard to drink through a mask, and blocking to the entrance to the parking lot where the Hikers park....

Perfect opportunity to get the message to the motorists but there they were entertaining cyclists and handing out pamphlets to cyclists about how cyclists should pass other cyclists with a 1m gap. 

slaan my me a pap snoek maar dis V*****n dom

ag no man!!! Maybe the organizers didn't get the memo.

On another note i'm so happy when i still see stickers on cars showing cars passing 1.5m from the cyclist. I don't see them much anymore but they still  around, 

Edited by arandre

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, arandre said:

I think if everyone just obeyed the rules of the road it would be fine. A lot of cyclists refuse to ride in a single file, a lot of motorists try their best to drive as close as possible to a cyclist. I think the biggest problem is cars turning right infront of a cyclist making him/her swerve not to get hit. If everyone had respect for everyone else we wouldn't have a problem.

Nivarna !!!

Allas - but a dream.

On 8/31/2021 at 3:30 PM, DieselnDust said:

So on Sunday morning the PPA was holding a "Stay Wider of the Rider" publicity stand at the checkpoint on Chappies just about 500m shy of the lookout.

I pull over because they offering riders energade and I hear this oke chirp them. 

"are you educating the motorists or the cyclists? Because its the motorists that need the education around the meaning of "Stay wider of the rider"

Judging from their reaction they clearly did not intend to educate any motorists that day ( you know the uncomfortable gazing at the ground kicking stones while keeping your hands warm playing pocket billards sort of look gave it away) .

Meanwhile the cyclists were happily downing free energade and feasting on koeksusters maskless naturally....its hard to drink through a mask, and blocking to the entrance to the parking lot where the Hikers park....

Perfect opportunity to get the message to the motorists but there they were entertaining cyclists and handing out pamphlets to cyclists about how cyclists should pass other cyclists with a 1m gap. 

slaan my me a pap snoek maar dis V*****n dom

If the perception out there is that cyclists think they own the road and are a bunch of selfish twats, motorist will not be interested in being educated about these bunch of inconsiderate lycra wearing idiots. 

This is EXACTLY why we as cyclists have a responsibility to be more considerate. If we are, fewer people will hate us and more motorists will be willing to listen to a message from cyclists.

On 8/23/2021 at 4:24 PM, ChrisF said:

Good to see the "direction change" this thread has taken.

If each of us does "our bit", BOTH when behind the steering wheel and when on the bike, at least it is a step in the right direction.

On 8/24/2021 at 3:38 AM, jackievs said:

I agree with you 100%...!!! It starts with us! 

I agree, its good to see the narrative on this thread changing. We can improve our behaviour AND still demand that motorist do too. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/18/2021 at 3:17 PM, Pure Savage said:

The amount of drivers this morning on cell phones not even seeing the cars etc in front slowing down etc is shocking. 

A kid I sometimes work with (here in Spain, obvs) was caught on his phone by the police a couple of weeks ago. 1000 Euro fine, 6 points and compulsory accident prevention training at a traffic centre an hours drive away . . . 

• 3 weeks later...

I had a clumsy fall yesterday on my ctct 'training ride' lol.

i slowed down for a stop sign in a quiet suburb. From my right came a car...so i did a track stand and waited, as soon as it passed, i saw it was clear to go...even though i saw a jeep making a turn into the street a bit further down.  But then I realise that the person in the jeep is busy seeing how fast his slowmobile can do 0-60.

So thinking i wasn't going to make it , I hesitate for a split second....enough to have that awkward clipped in tumble.

Im pissed because I ripped my brand new bar-tape ffs! 

1 hour ago, ChrisF said:

You and the bike still sorted for the Argus ?

after my fall last year it will take more than a stationary fall on tar to keep me off a bike lol. I'm just angry the first scratch on my brand new bike came about for something this dumb. I feel you should at least dislocate a shoulder or sprain an ankle to justify hurting your bicycle. At the very least there should be blood and swearing. none of that happened. Just TIMBER! Smack. Embarrassment. ????

Edited by MORNE