Motorists vs Cyclists.... again

Terminator

I was guiding a group of 10 riders in the Tankwa Karoo 2 weeks ago . On a very badly rutted wide road in the Tankwa Park the riders were sticking to the left and right edges of the road as any mtb rider would do . Waiting for them at a badly marked turnoff a red Jeep Wrangler stopped next to me in a cloud of dust and started verbally attacking me about the fact that they were both sides of the road ( with huge space between them) .I was so dumbfounded that I could not think of anything abusive to hurl at him . We will never win.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, DieselnDust said:

Back to normal at level1

Ha ha ja... The phrase always make me smile... As if normal was a desirable state of things in the first place. 

30 minutes ago, Prince Albert Cycles said:

I was guiding a group of 10 riders in the Tankwa Karoo 2 weeks ago . On a very badly rutted wide road in the Tankwa Park the riders were sticking to the left and right edges of the road as any mtb rider would do . Waiting for them at a badly marked turnoff a red Jeep Wrangler stopped next to me in a cloud of dust and started verbally attacking me about the fact that they were both sides of the road ( with huge space between them) .I was so dumbfounded that I could not think of anything abusive to hurl at him . We will never win.

We won't ever win that's for sure. Imagine being in the tankwa and getting pissed off with bicycles. 

If anything intolerance is at even higher levels than March 2020. Everyone has more stress to dish out on the roads and direct it at other road users. The police seem less interested in policing crime than issuing warnings for not wearing a mask. And it’s expected to get worse before it gets better…

7 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

If anything intolerance is at even higher levels than March 2020. Everyone has more stress to dish out on the roads and direct it at other road users. The police seem less interested in policing crime than issuing warnings for not wearing a mask. And it’s expected to get worse before it gets better…

A colleague was telling me yesterday he's not used to driving in so much traffic anymore after working from home for 18 months. I guess things like that also play a part?

1 hour ago, Prince Albert Cycles said:

Thats horrible to hear, in such a rush but still time to stop and be abusive. 

4 minutes ago, copperhead said:

I have done a bit road recently and for me personally the best drivers are 1 taxis 2 trucks, the worst without a doubt are 1 men and woman roughly between 30 and 45 who are on their phones. Just my personal observation. The one dude who took a second to look up at the road while on his phone got a verbal and one finger salute from me. He just shook his head at me!

and dont forget the white double cabs.

7 minutes ago, copperhead said:

Most of the group I am mentioning are in expensive big vehicles. One feels that if they killed someone outside of their vehicle it would be more of a nuisance to them than anything else. It is absolutely sickening. 

After driving a white double cab from work for a week I understand the mindset of the drivers. I'd also want to mow down everything in sight if i had to drive one of those things as my only vehicle. 

I've seen a post from CyclePower this morning that Bradley Potgieter(Ex SA rider) was knocked down. There isn't much of a story, just pics and guys saying get well soon which means he's "ok" atleast So I'm happy for that.

I also drive a dc Isuzu - that bakkie is legend.

I even had a moment a few months back at Hoogekraal on a very wet and muddy Saturday morning. So this bloke arrives in his Fortuner 4x4 and drives into a ditch filled with mud and water resulting in him ending up on his belly with his wheels flinging mud at the international space station. 

To the left and to the right of him a group of Ranger, Hilux, Amarok  and Navara drivers scratching heads about what to do now...

Cue me and my 4x4 Isuzu - hook a snatch rope and throw in some low range 4x4 and diff lock and the Fortuner was out. The Hilux, Ranger, Amarok and Navara manne are apparently still standing around somewhere scratching their heads.

I just laughed my ass off and went to go session Cobra.