Motorists vs Cyclists.... again

Terminator

21 minutes ago, Trashy said:

When we first moved here, I was SHOCKED that when I ran around the traffic circle on the Boulevard, I crossed 16 lanes of traffic and not a single vehicle tried to kill me.

Peak traffic, in rain on Main Road and I had people rather waiting behind me while I was struggling along than "skuur"-ing past me.  Or a morning run around Paarl Mall and KWV with ZERO issues.  It was live and let live.  I miss the place!

I avoided Lady Grey at all times (they tried me in the bakkie and FAILED) and the road past Boschenmeer during daylight hours (daai anties in hulle se fensie tjorre).

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posting with permission.  
mate of mine put this on Facebook the other day. It’s his dad that was taken out at was seems like one of the first ride for sight. 
F636A65B-9E09-4DF0-858A-739B6F55BF6E.jpeg.2b25133bcea275beb3093e2052dcdb06.jpeg

On 10/14/2021 at 2:53 PM, Prince Albert Cycles said:

I drive a white double cab Isuzu and I give cyclists 3 meters ????

I got a Extended Cab. Not only do i give the distance, I check if they'll make it up the Broadacres climb!

image.png.1f50d69f5a33178385088051f08beb5d.png 

On 10/14/2021 at 3:00 PM, TNT1 said:

Isuzu drivers are excepted. They obviously have some sense.

This is a fact. 

On 10/14/2021 at 3:41 PM, ouzo said:

a) its an Isuzu, they are generally more chilled drivers

b) you stay in the middle of nowhere, 3 meter must seem awefully close :)

c) you're a cyclist

????

On 10/14/2021 at 3:59 PM, Robbie Stewart said:

I also drive a dc Isuzu - that bakkie is legend.

I even had a moment a few months back at Hoogekraal on a very wet and muddy Saturday morning. So this bloke arrives in his Fortuner 4x4 and drives into a ditch filled with mud and water resulting in him ending up on his belly with his wheels flinging mud at the international space station. 

To the left and to the right of him a group of Ranger, Hilux, Amarok  and Navara drivers scratching heads about what to do now...

Cue me and my 4x4 Isuzu - hook a snatch rope and throw in some low range 4x4 and diff lock and the Fortuner was out. The Hilux, Ranger, Amarok and Navara manne are apparently still standing around somewhere scratching their heads.

I just laughed my ass off and went to go session Cobra.

Hilux, Ranger, Amarok and Navara... They don't want them dirty ????

On 10/20/2021 at 8:55 AM, Duane_Bosch said:

In an Isuzu you have no choice but to be chilled.

On a less jovial note. Yesterday afternoon I rode past a guy on a motorbike lying on the ground in Camps Bay. I couldn't figure out what was going on and if there was a car involved. He looked a little dazed and confused but not seriously injured. The crowd of cell phone toting gawkers was DISGUSTING.

And they don't even help. What a shame. 

5 hours ago, OVERDRIVE said:

Hilux, Ranger, Amarok and Navara... They don't want them dirty ????

And they don't even help. What a shame. 

Maybe those bakkies make one somewhat less of a man. Kind of like shaving with Gillette apparently.

Woke bakkies... ( insert comic sans font before some antie takes exception and wants to moer me with his, I mean her, handbag)

On 10/20/2021 at 10:12 AM, Pure Savage said:

Driving culture is just toxic. 

Okes will be lekker at a braai, nice oke. Gets in a car, happy to murder someone.

Need to make driving harder and more expensive. Always happy to see the petrol price increase. Should be around R28 per litre, drivers need to cover more of the cost of their driving.

Petrol price is not a solution, it will just drag the country down and make food even more expensive for people who are already struggling to put food on the table.

Strict enforcement of traffic laws, people loosing their license, better education RE how dangerous a car can be at SCHOOL level will be the way forward.

47 minutes ago, Hairy said:

Petrol price is not a solution, it will just drag the country down and make food even more expensive for people who are already struggling to put food on the table.

Strict enforcement of traffic laws, people loosing their license, better education RE how dangerous a car can be at SCHOOL level will be the way forward.

*losing

The driving culture is a result of a broken social system. It is so deep rooted with so many long standing permeations that it is pretty difficult to pin point where to begin soling it. 

The issues involve generations of disdain and a lack of respect for people of a different race, class, age, school, area....... 

We are so divided as a people that there is outward hostility, never mind a lack of respect, for those not fitting directly into our own narrative.

I bet you everyone here has written off an entire demographic because an old person drove 45 in a 60 zone down main road and you were late somewhere, a young guy in a Golf Mk1 with dropped suspension and loud exhaust passed you dangerously, a GP registration car weaved through traffic in Cape Town or a Cape Town idiot hogged the right hand lane on the open highway....... A white double cab bakkie nearly killed you and everyone you know.... etc.....

Teaching people that people are people, with families, jobs, responsibilities and dependants who are valuable and very fragile is probably the best place to start. But that won't work because no one wants to listen and everyone wants to blame all the other demographics for not listening. 

This is just touching on so many greater issues. Like I said, It's complicated and we, as 25 privileged dudes on a bike website can't even begin to scratch the surface, never mind offer any sort of viable solution

Edited by Jewbacca

6 hours ago, Jewbacca said:

*losing

The driving culture is a result of a broken social system. It is so deep rooted with so many long standing permeations that it is pretty difficult to pin point where to begin soling it. 

The issues involve generations of disdain and a lack of respect for people of a different race, class, age, school, area....... 

We are so divided as a people that there is outward hostility, never mind a lack of respect, for those not fitting directly into our own narrative.

I bet you everyone here has written off an entire demographic because an old person drove 45 in a 60 zone down main road and you were late somewhere, a young guy in a Golf Mk1 with dropped suspension and loud exhaust passed you dangerously, a GP registration car weaved through traffic in Cape Town or a Cape Town idiot hogged the right hand lane on the open highway....... A white double cab bakkie nearly killed you and everyone you know.... etc.....

Teaching people that people are people, with families, jobs, responsibilities and dependants who are valuable and very fragile is probably the best place to start. But that won't work because no one wants to listen and everyone wants to blame all the other demographics for not listening. 

This is just touching on so many greater issues. Like I said, It's complicated and we, as 25 privileged dudes on a bike website can't even begin to scratch the surface, never mind offer any sort of viable solution

"Teaching people that people are people, with families, jobs, responsibilities and dependants who are valuable and very fragile is probably the best place to start. "

The above is the secret, and is starts with just one person/s.

I teach my kids this, so that is two people I am sending out into the world to hopefully carry forth this mindset.

• 2 weeks later...

This morning coming into Fish Hoek, we were riding like angels in single file, pointing out the pot holes in the road and avoiding them when a red corse came screeching past on horn, cut up a car at the circle and then sat at the red light. 

So I took the opportunity to pull up next to her, tap on the window and ask for a chat. Karen with a soliders hair cut  was keen and opened up the window:

PS: Morning sweetie, whats the matter darling?

K: Your riders behind you were swerving all over the road to miss the pot holes and I did not want to run them over!

PS: Does your car not come with brakes darling?

K: I AM NOT A CYCLIST!

PS: Honey, we are now sitting at this red light, what is your rush?

K: Why must I drive at 20km/h? 

PS: Sweetie, we were doing 40km/h and now I am stuck in this line of cars waiting. 

Blow kiss and ride off.

Low and behold, who has pulled up and gotten out the car at Salt? Karen and her husband. Big smiles and waves as we ride past. 

Rather peculiar morning.

15 minutes ago, Pure Savage said:

This morning coming into Fish Hoek, we were riding like angels in single file, pointing out the pot holes in the road and avoiding them when a red corse came screeching past on horn, cut up a car at the circle and then sat at the red light. 

So I took the opportunity to pull up next to her, tap on the window and ask for a chat. Karen with a soliders hair cut  was keen and opened up the window:

K: Your riders behind you were swerving all over the road to miss the pot holes and I did not want to run them over!

PS: Sweetie, we were doing 40km/h and now I am stuck in this line of cars waiting. 

Blow kiss and ride off.

Low and behold, who has pulled up and gotten out the car at Salt? Karen and her husband. Big smiles and waves as we ride past. 

Rather peculiar morning.

QND .... :) 

35 minutes ago, Pure Savage said:

Blow kiss and ride off.

Rather peculiar morning.

Reading this, playing out the scene in my mind, just made my morning! 

Edited by bespokes

On 10/30/2021 at 9:57 AM, Hairy said:

We have been seeing this in our industry for the last few years now. It applies to all markets and its a major ẛṻӃ Up. That and the growing hatred for chinese imports/made products. However the amount of products produced elsewhere is so limited. I am currently looking at local manufacturing for certain stock items. If I had the resources I would start my own factory. There is some support out there for locally made goods.

• 3 months later...
16 minutes ago, Patchelicious said:

Sometimes is not cyclists vs white bakkies, sometimes its the cyclist in the white bakkies that are the problem....

Jumping a whole queue of cars, all waiting to turn, and a red light to go and park himself IN the middle of the intersection, only to go pull off next to the beach 1km later..... not a good look!

NicTheDic.jpg

Not a good move and in a branded vehicle as well.

Would send to Ford Claremont and see how quickly the sponsored vehicle gets withdrawn (could just be wishful thinking though) 

13 minutes ago, FondTF2 said:

Not a good move and in a branded vehicle as well.

Would send to Ford Claremont and see how quickly the sponsored vehicle gets withdrawn (could just be wishful thinking though) 

He is a fellow cyclist so I wouldn't want to throw him under the bakkies just yet. But he drove like douche and was found out.