MTB Tyre assistance needed with choosing a new combo

Bjorn881

I'm looking at replacing my current MTB tyres (OEM Bontrager XR3, 29" x 2.3"), as the back is almost worn out and I'm struggling on corners with the front especially over loose rocks. Its my first time doing so and and apart from all the recent research I've done I have no prior knowledge. I do 90% of my riding on the DH and Snake trails in Tokai CPT which are Enduro and Trail trails respectively, Tokai has lots of hard-packed ground, with rock gardens, roots and loose small rocks.

For what is worth, I'm looking at running a 2.6" front and 2.4" rear combo, I'm primarily looking at using Maxxis tyres for simplicity and in terms of availability, I'm looking at using the Exo + casing and the 3C Maxx Terra rubber compound on both front and rear, as they seem best suited towards my needs!

Where I need assistance is choosing the correct tyre combo, the forerunner from my research and taking into account my local terrain appears to be a Assegai up front and a Minion DHR II at the rear. Another decent combo appears to be running the DHR up front and either a Aggressor or Dissector at the rear. I can't seem to find any stock of the Minion DHF hence not including it in any of the above combos. I'm looking for feedback from anyone using any of the above combos or tyres, with a specific focus on grip especially on corners, rolling resistance (speed) and durability, especially as I will be using the bike to climb up trails!

I had the DHF on the front and DHR on the back. EXO casing I think. Grip was great and durabillity was fine. But wasn’t impressed with the DHR rolling resistance.

Nobody seems to have stock of minions dhf ,evo bikes had few dhr 2 weeks ago.

I purchased 2.6 assegai front and 2.5 disector combo and ride mostly tokai trails.i prefer tons of grip over few seconds of faster times

Only been out once with the combo so can't comment really, but felt decent on the dry loose gravel of tokai.

Going tomorrow again and give a review.

The new Spez Butcher 2.6 and Purgatory 2.3 should serve you perfectly.

I run that combo (2.3 front and rear) and it is amazing. Grip, fast rolling and seats really easily.

Grid Gripton tires. 

The old Butcher i wouldn't recommend, but the new one is amazing.

There is also stock locally.

I know it's not Maxxis, but the tires are fantastic

I happen to have a brand new Butcher 2.6 and Purgatory 2.3 in trail casing sitting on the shelf. Used it for 30km and i will agree 100% that it’s a fantastic and grippy combo to run.

I could be tempted to part with them.

Edited by DR ◣◢

For the rougher stuff (29er)- Assegai 2.5 rear and Magic Mary 2.6 (purple soft).

Much prefer the Assegai at the back.

For the rougher stuff (29er)- Assegai 2.5 rear and Magic Mary 2.6 (purple soft).

Much prefer the Assegai at the back.

Where in SA are you riding that warrants an Assegai on the rear?

I happen to have a brand new Butcher 2.6 and Purgatory 2.3 in trail casing sitting on the shelf. Used it for 30km and i will agree 100% that it’s a fantastic and grippy combo to run.

I could be tempted to part with them.

Brand new and used for 30km?

Have you read your own comments on the 'bring back the comments in the classifieds' thread?  :ph34r:  :whistling:

hahahahahaha

Shuttle days. The perfect combination for ME!

I wasn't aware there were rules.

My general riding wheels are MM 2.5 up front and Hans Dampf 2.4 rear.

Please post the tyre options you feel are warranted for SAs condition.

Where in SA are you riding that warrants an Assegai on the rear?

Have you read your own comments on the 'bring back the comments in the classifieds' thread? :ph34r: :whistling:

hahahahahaha

Actually that is "better than new" ....

Those 30km just cleaned of the shiny and slippery layer .... he should charge extra for that "service" ...

Actually that is "better than new" ....

Those 30km just cleaned of the shiny and slippery layer .... he should charge extra for that "service" ...

AND it also created a sealant layer to the inside of the tyres, so will be SAVING you sealant ... that is better than new!

Have you read your own comments on the 'bring back the comments in the classifieds' thread?  :ph34r:  :whistling:

hahahahahaha

But that is exactly how you sell something on Le Hub. Brand new and used. Is there any other way?

Shuttle days. The perfect combination for ME!

I wasn't aware there were rules.

My general riding wheels are MM 2.5 up front and Hans Dampf 2.4 rear.

Please post the tyre options you feel are warranted for SAs condition.

It was a legit question bud, no need to get defensive.... there just aren't many trails that warrant that sort of meat in SA hence me asking.

+1 for the Spez tyres. My go to was always Agressor and DHF in 2.5, but I've been finding Maxxis impossible to get lately and they wear fast.

I've been using a Ground Control on the back and Eliminator on the front, rolls nice and fast and the Ground Control has more bite than it looks like it would. Although in winter I will replace it with an Eliminator as well, I can't imagine it's gonna be any good in the wet.

But that is exactly how you sell something on Le Hub. Brand new and used. Is there any other way?

PM the OP and tell him to buy your tires... He would be silly not to