How long should a chainring last?

DR ◣◢

In July I purchased the Lyne Components Pulse cranks with matching 30t chainring. 
Superb piece of kit that is well made and budget friendly. 

At around 1000km I realised that my chain (KMC) needed replacing measuring at 0.5 wear. Although only at 0.5 it was definitely destroyed. Never seen a chain disintegrate like this before.

I replaced the chain and went for a ride this morning. Immediately noticed a vibration/crunching feeling from the chainring. 

When the chain is under load it starts sucking up the chain towards the chainstay. Rolling it backwards under load and it climbs onto the teeth. All of this points to either a very dirty chainring which it isn't or a worn out chainring. 

But at 1000km? Chainring worn so much that it starts sucking up the chain like this? 

The drivetrain is really well maintained with wax lubes and it hardly ever sees mud. Maybe 4 muddy rides but not the type where the drivetrain is clogged up etc.

Photos below of the sucking and the condition of the teeth. 

post-22685-0-17565300-1608988166_thumb.jpg

post-22685-0-10549100-1608988201_thumb.jpg

PS. Anyone with a new 30t or 32t SRAM mount chainring in JHB that wants a new home on an orange bike please DM me. 

0.5 seems a bit late, but my Lyne chain ring is on its 3rd bike already, about 2500 on the first, 1300 on the 2nd and a few hundred on the 3rd. Gave it to a friend, that first was 1 chain, 2nd bike was on its 2nd chain so that’s 1 ring through 4 chains.

I think that’s more the new chain needing to settle in, slightly worn teeth with a new chain will have a break in time, although personally I found that with some slipping in the smaller rings at the back for a few rides.

Edited by Reme Le Hane

Currently on 9251,1km on mine. One chain One cassette could of got a bit more if i was smarter with my chain... It'll get replaced at 10000km

I love Lyne, but their chainrings are soft as cheese. Do yourself a favour and get a cSixx chainring, I've had them last 5000km+.

In my experience the Lyne ones start chain suck at about 1000km.

This was at exactly 933.9 km. Can't change out chainrings every 6 months. Damn :D 

I can only order a chainring when everyone opens up again on the 4th of January. 

Will definitely look at cSixx. I love the brand and the quality components they make. 

Good time to go oval I guess.

That doesn't look worn much.

I've also had that issue, but after running it in for 3 or 4 rides they wear into each other.

See what it's like after a few rides

Thanks. I don't have a choice at the moment but to let them get better aquatinted with each other. 

As long as I don't eat another chain. 

0.5 seems a bit late, but my Lyne chain ring is on its 3rd bike already, about 2500 on the first, 1300 on the 2nd and a few hundred on the 3rd. Gave it to a friend, that first was 1 chain, 2nd bike was on its 2nd chain so that’s 1 ring through 4 chains.

I think that’s more the new chain needing to settle in, slightly worn teeth with a new chain will have a break in time, although personally I found that with some slipping in the smaller rings at the back for a few rides.

Thank you. Thankfully the cassette is happy as can be with the new chain. Super crisp shifting and not a single noise. 

This was at exactly 933.9 km. Can't change out chainrings every 6 months. Damn :D

I can only order a chainring when everyone opens up again on the 4th of January.

Will definitely look at cSixx. I love the brand and the quality components they make.

Good time to go oval I guess.

Consider absolute black as well mine has well above 6000km and hasn't given me a day of worry

Consider absolute black as well mine has well above 6000km and hasn't given me a day of worry

Can’t find a 30t oval AB anywhere. Found a cSixx at Buycycle. Order placed.

two factors that would cause your acceleratedwear.

1) soft chainring material

2) its a 30t chainring so there's less teeth in mesh with the chain and therefore those that are carrying the load will be subjected to more pressure.

Run a SRAM 1x12 chain even if its a 1x11 speed draivetrain. They just last longer and save your drivetrain

two factors that would cause your acceleratedwear.

1) soft chainring material

2) its a 30t chainring so there's less teeth in mesh with the chain and therefore those that are carrying the load will be subjected to more pressure.

Run a SRAM 1x12 chain even if its a 1x11 speed draivetrain. They just last longer and save your drivetrain

Insightful as always.

Just replaced the KMC with a Shimano unit. Will look at the SRAM options next time.

Those KMC chains are horrendous. Heard from many how they reach 0.5 in no time. Sounds like a bad chain with a soft chainring.

As DND said, you can’t beat the SRAM X01 and above chains, especially the XX1 gold. They just keeping going, unless you break a link.

Just about to replace my lyne oval chainring on a touch over 6000kms... Run with xx1 chain and cassette. Absolutely no issues.

My GX/sunrace/lyne chainring setup slightly different. 3000kms and everything looks/feels tired.

I currently have more than 4500km on my lyne chain ring and its on its 2nd chain. The first chain got the majority of the miles, I think the KMC currently has 220km on it.

I will monitor the wear on the KMC going forward ????. I rode with a friend this morning who told me that he only got 1500km on his GX 12 speed chain. I am starting to think that the 12 speed stuff is softer or lower quality or something.

I still ride an 11

I love Lyne, but their chainrings are soft as cheese. Do yourself a favour and get a cSixx chainring, I've had them last 5000km+.

In my experience the Lyne ones start chain suck at about 1000km.

I do believe that this fred can be shut down now.

The answer has been provided.