2019 Trek Roscoe 6 Fork Upgrade HELP!

AdeleRose1594

I was hoping for a simple upgrade for my Roscoe 6 by switching from the SR Suntour coil spring it originally had to an SR Suntour Raidon air fork. I looked up all the specs on Treks website and bought what I assumed would fit according to the specs. Specifically that Trek said it was a tapered head, so the new fork I bought is tapered.

To my surprise when I removed the old fork, I found it was straight! I tried installing the new tapered fork anyway but it doesn’t seem to sit right and no matter how tight I try to make it, there is still a wiggle to it. Will a tapered head not fit? Do I need to replace anything more since the old fork was straight? I’m so confused by this and a little frustrated since I believed I was only replacing tapered with tapered. Please help!

Best would be to take it to a shop...but check if "There is a crown race installed at the base of your fork’s steerer tube – a crown race is an angled surface, or race, that interfaces with the bottom bearing"... could be that your new fork is missing this part.

I also assume you will need a different headset...best let the mechanics answer you on that.

https://canecreek.com/everything-you-need-to-know-about-bike-headsets/

Best would be to take it to a shop...but check if "There is a crown race installed at the base of your fork’s steerer tube – a crown race is an angled surface, or race, that interfaces with the bottom bearing"... could be that your new fork is missing this part.

I also assume you will need a different headset...best let the mechanics answer you on that.

https://canecreek.com/everything-you-need-to-know-about-bike-headsets/

The new fork does have a crown race. I was hoping this would be a more simple switch but you’re probably right that I need a new headset. Looks like I’ll be taking a trip to the shop. I wish I would have known the original fork was straight before all of this.

You will probably only need a new headset bottom race. The lower spec bikes are often speced with older or OEM forks with straight steerers, but the frame is built with a taper steerer. So you will already have a taper headset that fits in the frame, but they install a different bottom race to make the straight steerer fork fit in the taper headset. Any bike shop will have a loose steerer race available unless they want to make money off you and try and sell you a complete headset.

If the old fork was straight and the new one is tapered it's Not going to work.

If (and this is a big if) the frame uses cups for its headset and has a relatively large head tube you could maybe get an appropriate cup and install the fork however this is virtually non existing on newer bikes

If the old fork was straight and the new one is tapered it's Not going to work.

If (and this is a big if) the frame uses cups for its headset and has a relatively large head tube you could maybe get an appropriate cup and install the fork however this is virtually non existing on newer bikes

Have a look at the Roscoe frame... He will get it to fit with little fuss

Have a look at the Roscoe frame... He will get it to fit with little fuss

Okay if the headset is not integrated I.e. Using cups which is spectacularly rare these days

You need a new headset, or at least the lower parts. All Roscoe's use the same frame as far as I am aware and all use tapered forks other than the 6.