Replacing a Edge 520 with a smartwatch?

briv

What is the consensus out there, current I have a huawei gt sw and edge 520, the gt is not compatible with strava. So rather have one device, on your wrist that does everything? Ek luister by die radio......

Edited by briv

Briv I use a 520 for my MTB rides, and the Garmin watch for the commutes.

Both does the job for recording ride data, total distance for the year etc ....

NOT nice trying to read data off the watch while cycling.

Most rides I hardly look at my 520 .... but every so often you do a longer ride and want to monitor distance, elevation, speed, etc while on the go ... this is when I just love the 520.

Also strap base hart rate is more accurate than wrist based ... though not a biggie for us weekend riders.

Will I retire my 520 and use only the watch ... NO ... those times that I do watch the screen reminds me of the benefits of a computer ....

Then again, the watches now do so much more than just recording a ride .... I would rather have the watch if I could only have one

Thanks for the replies, ja these day's watches have become quite advanced, must admit thinking about it, looking down at the 520 gives instant info... The watch is then cumbersome and dangerous! OK will stick with what I have, maybe just get the garmin watch to log the dog walks as well ????

I have a 520 Plus and a Fenix 3. Every now and then, the 520 won't upload an activity via Bluetooth unless I connect it to the laptop via the cable. The Fenix has been flawless. But as mentioned in the previous responses, it depends on what you want from the device. I use the watch when I just want to log my 30 odd minutes for Disco and the 520 when I need more information while riding

if no power meter then there is a lot of options to just measure daily walks, track sleep etc. An y fitness tracker will work well enough.

I wouldn't replace the bike computer even if it had a nice mount.

I, like many, have both an edge and forerunner. I wear the watch all the time regardless for steps for multiply but I have tried it for the odd ride and it's not lekker tbh. I have even seen some guys strap their watches to the stem/bars but the edge just gives much more and better info. I also use a varia radar and that doesn't work with the watch.

If I was in the OP's shoes I would stick to the edge 520.  Simply because he says he just records his rides.  For cycling the edge is simply better. When I replaced my old Polar 3 or more years ago, I had to decide a watch or the Edge.  I decided that for cycling the Edge wins hands down and I still think that today.  

That being said I bought my VivoActive 3, 2 years ago and love the watch and love the data it captures in my daily routine and my indoor swimming.  But when I get on the bike I take the Vivoactive off and let it take a rest of a few hours.

Also, the GPS doesn't seem as accurate on the watch as on the edge. I have seen guys get KOMs on strava with the watch(and iPhone strava app as well for that matter) that certainly were not a KOM. Will you sleep at night knowing you didn't get that KOM legitimately?

You can do more with the Watch. (If it's a choice between the 2)

If you can Afford Both ...............

Garmin Watch is Just as Accurate as the Bike Computer GPS Wise and you can get a Bike Mount for the Watch as Well as Chest Strap HRM.

You can do more with the Watch. (If it's a choice between the 2)

If you can Afford Both ...............

Garmin Watch is Just as Accurate as the Bike Computer GPS Wise and you can get a Bike Mount for the Watch as Well as Chest Strap HRM.

Can all the garmin watches do this? How do you tell the watch to use the chest strap instead of the wrist sensor?

Can all the garmin watches do this? How do you tell the watch to use the chest strap instead of the wrist sensor?

Dont think the older entry level units paired with the strap.

Over the last year a LOT of specs were added to the entry level units.

Best to check the spec sheet .... the Garmin site is very helpful ...

Back then when I only owned a 520 and had no way of logging my runs. Bought a surfer arm strap, hooked it through one of my Garmin mounts and bobs your uncle. I would definitely keep the 520 as I’m constantly monitoring my heart rate.