Cycling in Level 3 Lockdown?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It sounds like it yes. We’ll probably just have to do it around the new curfew hours.

I'd like some clarity on whether you have to have a mask on for sport now. seeing as it has become a criminal offence and all..

I'd like some clarity on whether you have to have a mask on for sport now. seeing as it has become a criminal offence and all..

For better or worse, each speach is followed up with a series of publications in the Gazette.

Only the CHANGES to the previous rules are Gazetted.

So if they say alchol sales are restricted, this will be Gazetted.

And by ommission items remain as is.

Until a change is Gazetted ... no mask required while exercising, but must be worn while ordering your coffee ....

Punch line .... we have to wait for the Gazette .... and then the typical to and fro between the gent and the lady, and resultant changes ....

For now .... I will open my garage door 5.59 tomorrow, and have my buff at the ready ....

Edited by ChrisF

According to the gazette, no mask is needed when exercising.

:thumbup:

For those who want specifics:

https://www.gov.za/sites/default/files/gcis_document/202012/44044rg-11217gon1423s.pdf

"(3) No person will be allowed to-
(c ) be in any public open space, if he or she is not wearing a face mask."

"(4) The prohibition in subregulation (3)(c ) shall not apply to a person who undertakes vigorous exercise in a public place, provided that the person maintains a distance of at least one and a half metres from any other person, and subject to directions on what is considered to be vigorous, issued by the Cabinet member responsible for health."

:thumbup:

For those who want specifics:

https://www.gov.za/sites/default/files/gcis_document/202012/44044rg-11217gon1423s.pdf

"(3) No person will be allowed to-
(c ) be in any public open space, if he or she is not wearing a face mask."

"(4) The prohibition in subregulation (3)(c ) shall not apply to a person who undertakes vigorous exercise in a public place, provided that the person maintains a distance of at least one and a half metres from any other person, and subject to directions on what is considered to be vigorous, issued by the Cabinet member responsible for health."

Lol...there is a caveat....

Lol...there is a caveat....

and then interpretation by you local SAPS officer who might not have read the fine print or the Gazette - so will likely fine you first and you get to explain to the judge...

I think the curfew of 6AM for those of us who exercise is stupid. That means I can only leave my house at 6am to go for a cycle. 

I'm sure there are people who think it is stupid for more legitimate reasons like they leave their house at 5am to walk 7km to catch a taxi/bus by 5:45 so they can be at work on time so their Mlungu boss doesn't fire them after strolling in at 9am after a nice 3 hour bike ride.

9 is a good time at night, they could have left it at 5am for the guys who have a long commute to work.

The problem with any rules they make is that they affect us, which is the point, but also means those affected will voice their displeasure.. So while you feel personally attacked that you can't exercise before 6am (affected by the new rules) others now have to spend upward of 60% of their income to get to and from work faster. With no trains running, the taxi's are charging a premium and bread liners are stuffed.

Re-structure a bit for the next two weeks. If the past 9 months haven't taught you to be fluid in your plans and daily activities then nothing will.

Personally I can fully get behind the new rules for the next 2 weeks. I'm sure they will have another look once work is back in full swing. I walked past Hudsons on the Muizenberg Beachfront yesterday and it was PACKED. Like peak hour on the London tube packed. We really have done this to ourselves 

I think the curfew of 6AM for those of us who exercise is stupid. That means I can only leave my house at 6am to go for a cycle.

My thoughts exactly. I had planned 5:30am start times for rides this week, that would give me enough time for a 1 hour ride, get home, shower, eat and change and still get to work on time. As it stands I called off this mornings ride.

I'm sure there are people who think it is stupid for more legitimate reasons like they leave their house at 5am to walk 7km to catch a taxi/bus by 5:45 so they can be at work on time so their Mlungu boss doesn't fire them after strolling in at 9am after a nice 3 hour bike ride.

9 is a good time at night, they could have left it at 5am for the guys who have a long commute to work.

The problem with any rules they make is that they affect us, which is the point, but also means those affected will voice their displeasure.. So while you feel personally attacked that you can't exercise before 6am (affected by the new rules) others now have to spend upward of 60% of their income to get to and from work faster. With no trains running, the taxi's are charging a premium and bread liners are stuffed.

Re-structure a bit for the next two weeks. If the past 9 months haven't taught you to be fluid in your plans and daily activities then nothing will.

Personally I can fully get behind the new rules for the next 2 weeks. I'm sure they will have another look once work is back in full swing. I walked past Hudsons on the Muizenberg Beachfront yesterday and it was PACKED. Like peak hour on the London tube packed. We really have done this to ourselves 

Agreed....I see a lot of people heading to work from 5am around here....as you say some people have an hours walk before they even get to town to catch a taxi somewhere else....

And lets be realistic...what difference would 5am make on the curfew?

More ANC magic.....