Sealant for road tubeless

Andreas_187

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you guys also find that you are pumping your tyre more regularly than you would with tubes? I have been told by my LBS it is normal.

Do you guys also find that you are pumping your tyre more regularly than you would with tubes? I have been told by my LBS it is normal.

Not with my Orange Seal/Schwalbe Pro One combination but I now see why people don't bother when they use Stans sealant... what a mess.

I bought a small tube of Joe's today so will see how it works out. I will buy a big bottle when they get the road sealant in stock

• 2 weeks later...

Having issues seating GP5000TL on my carbon wheels, These Ican Aero wheels have given me headaches mounting tyres from day 1...

Tried everything, soapy water, bombs etc and still not much luck. It has seated on most of the wheel but as soon as I deflate them 1 side pops off.

Probably need to invest in a booster if I have to maintain this set up, so whats out there and available locally that doesnt cost a fortune ?

Giant Control Tank

Ryder Airtank 2

Airshot

Having issues seating GP5000TL on my carbon wheels, These Ican Aero wheels have given me headaches mounting tyres from day 1...

Tried everything, soapy water, bombs etc and still not much luck. It has seated on most of the wheel but as soon as I deflate them 1 side pops off.

Probably need to invest in a booster if I have to maintain this set up, so whats out there and available locally that doesnt cost a fortune ?

Giant Control Tank

Ryder Airtank 2

Airshot

Those Contis are known to cause issues to mount and to seat so I haven't tried them myself. I've always gone with the Schwalbe Pro One because they slip on easily and pump easily. The only problem is availability in SA, I can't find them anywhere in Cape Town

Giant Control Tank

Ryder Airtank 2

Airshot

I paid R1,000 for a SERFAS FLR PUMP AIR FORCE ONE CANISTER from Cyclelab. It works however I now take my wheels in to my local mechanic to sort out as seating the TL5000 is a pain, and i have damaged the rim tape and decals in the past. My arms are not built for mounting tubeless tyres.

I normally buy a stash of Orange Seal when I go overseas but due to lockdown I haven't replenished my stash. I just bought Stan's Race sealant but its complete rubbish at anything over 50psi. I have tried Sludge before but it also doesn't seal over 50psi.

Has anybody had success with any other product?

The Orange seal used to seal almost instantly while still riding and would only lose 5psi in the process.

OrangeSeal is coming into the country soon.

i have it on good authority 

I am running TL5000's without issues on Nextie CX80 Tubeless Compatible Carbon rims. The rims have a 17mm inner diameter.

Kranswurm, on 31 Dec 2020 - 08:08 AM, said:

Looks good

Where do you buy it?

I've got a spare one you can use and then replace when you get another new one. I got them from Token Cycling in Rivonia Edited by King_Crispy

The Ican wheels are 18mm internal, so not the easiest to mount tyres.

I have used normal gp5000, gators and Vitoria corsa. The corsa was the hardest to mount, and just 2 weeks ago I had a puncture while out and broke levers and had to call wife to pick me.

So after that I decided to try out tubeless.

The gp5000TL went on fairly easy, just not seating 100%. They have been holding pressure though for the last 5 hours.

I have used normal gp5000, gators and Vitoria corsa. The corsa was the hardest to mount, and just 2 weeks ago I had a puncture while out and broke levers and had to call wife to pick me.

The gp5000TL went on fairly easy, just not seating 100%. They have been holding pressure though for the last 5 hours.

i found the 5000's super-easy to fit and rode really nicely. until i hit a bit of debris on the road and got a gash that I thought was small, but sealant failed (Ryder). Plug failed and Ubered home. Fitted a tube and it peaked out the gash (clearly not that small). Was an expensive semester that. Running 32c Gravelkings now and happier than a pig in the proverbial, but not fast

If you got the tyre seated then ride locally for an hour or two; you need to keep the wheel rolling for the sealant to close. If it does not seal, it is most likely that the rim tape is damaged.

OrangeSeal is coming into the country soon.

i have it on good authority 

That is good news.

Seems like 90% of the European cyclist prefer it

That is good news.

Seems like 90% of the European cyclist prefer it

+1

It's not perfect, but it seems it has more hits than misses.