Rockshox charger damper - failed

lone one

Rockshox charger 2 damper RC has stopped working

Fork was stuck mid compression and would only use about 20% of the stroke

Removed the damper and eventually got it to compress - this resulted in oil coming out through a nick in the damper bladder

I have searched the web and found nothing

Question - anyone else experienced this issue

It is sealed diaphragm with the bladder holding the oil - it is sealed in the station so how the nick in the bladder it a mystery

Rockshox is obviously saying the entire damper needs to be replaced

Rockshox charger 2 damper RC has stopped working

Fork was stuck mid compression and would only use about 20% of the stroke

Removed the damper and eventually got it to compress - this resulted in oil coming out through a nick in the damper bladder

I have searched the web and found nothing

Question - anyone else experienced this issue

It is sealed diaphragm with the bladder holding the oil - it is sealed in the station so how the nick in the bladder it a mystery

Rockshox is obviously saying the entire damper needs to be replaced

Dammit that sucks , the bladder expands and contacts as the fork works while you 're riding ( to take up and relieve oil pressure ) 

so it likely got damaged when you were taking A BIg impact and bladder expanded too quick , well thats my guess anyway 

Is the fork still under warranty ?

ITS complete BS that they say the whole thing needs to be replaced , look around on the interwebs and you should be A able to find A bladder from some US/chinese site 

then get the fork to someone very knowledgeable about suspension and have them rebuild the damper 

other options 

IF its A Lyrik/yari/pike/revelation the gen 1 charger damper might fit ( can't confirm this ) and its maybe the most reliable product rockshox have ever made , atleast you can ride then while trying to figure something out 

IF it's A BOXXER and you really can't get it sorted go for this https://www.ohlins.com/product/ttx-18-cartridge-kit-for-boxxer/  atleast its got backup here and all the parts can be replaced and supported.And if rockshox really want to tell you the whole damper needs replacing after one small part got damaged then you might as well bypass them and not risk paying for another damper that could let you down in the same way 

Sorry dude 

Age and service history?

damper is 2018/2019 - lower leg service and air regular service. I was advised that the damper due to it been a sealed unit it not needing service

damper is 2018/2019 - lower leg service and air regular service. I was advised that the damper due to it been a sealed unit it not needing service

So that's at least two years of riding with the same oil in the damper? Eish.

You might need to look for better advisors.

Fork is on a bike bought second hand. As the charger 2 damper is a sealed unit what I have also read seems the oil is not a service item

Your views?

Every 150 to 200 hours for a damper. If you ride lots that's twice a year...

Lowers every 50 hours.

There is no fork that does not need a damper service.

Edited by Grease_Monkey

Yeah, riding a damper for 2 years without servicing will do that. But Rockshox's spare parts selection is a joke, that's something that should be readily available.

I might be able to source replacement bladders, give me a shout on the 11th and I'll confirm.

Fork is on a bike bought second hand. As the charger 2 damper is a sealed unit what I have also read seems the oil is not a service item

Your views?

The whole damper is serviceable including the oil.

Charger Damper has a 200hr service interval and the bladders are replaced during this service.

Who is advising you?

Bladders on the charger 2 are not available as spares. Only the charger 1 kits have spare bladders.

Slow clap for rockshox

Bladders on the charger 2 are not available as spares. Only the charger 1 kits have spare bladders.

Is this a recent development?

2018, when the Charger 2 came out. Bladders have never been available for these dampers.

ah thanks for that info