Cycling glasses for people wearing permanent glasses

Johny_mtb

My wife had a fall while cycling several years ago. A pedestrian stepped into the road in front of her and she came down quite hard. She was wearing her normal daily multi focals with "plastic" lenses. The lenses broke and she cut her eyebrow badly, requiring stitches. Since then we have both stopped wearing prescription glasses for cycling.

Question: Are the lenses in cycling specific sunglasses tougher/safer than the polycarbonate lenses in standard optometrist prescription glasses? Are "normal" optometrist made plastic lenses deemed safe for cycling?

Prescription lenses will be stiffer so won't flex with the frame hence they pop out when the frame is flexed to much. Optometrist couldn't comment on approval for use with the specific frames since the frames are only approved for use with lenses from the frame manufacturer e.g Oakley

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Depends upon the lens and the user I think. With normal lenses, if I get any dust in them, the grit gets between the eye and the lens and the very smallest piece of dust causes the most incredible degree of irritation. I am effectively blind in the eye concerned. However, if I use scleral lenses, no problem. I can surf with them and survive a desert dust storm with them.

Can't wait to get my Scleral lenses.  Only 6 weeks to wait if I am lucky.

The problem I have with inserts is the size of the lenses.  My one eye is at -6.75 so the lens will poke me in the eye.  I tried inserts in a few glasses and it never worked for me.  I was on hard lenses and that was pure hell.  Even a little dust and tears would be streaming down my face.  That is if I am not on all fours looking for a lens that fell out of my eyes.

The biggest hate I had with inserts (I was on -2.75 at that stage) was the weight on my nose.  The optometrist tried getting the lenses thinned, but it was still heavy.  So I can only imagine a -6.75 weight added to ones glasses.

There was a question raised on the lenses shattering.  I know my Rudy Project lenses had ImpactX lenses (https://www.rudyproject.com/ww/en/technology/impactx.html).  The lenses will not shatter but they do crack.  Thinking of it.  I have a frame somewhere that lost a lens and cracked other lens..  Think I must find it and get new lenses for it.

I had Evil Eyes from Adidas.  The lenses was prone to cracking.  Replaced the lenses twice and gave the glasses away after the 2nd replacement.  My Oakley's always had a frame weakness and I broke two frames in a years span.  I then started wearing Rudy Projects.  Purchased a KWay non photochromatic two years ago, but hated the thing as it had lens distortion and made me fall

Can't wait to get my Scleral lenses. Only 6 weeks to wait if I am lucky.

The problem I have with inserts is the size of the lenses. My one eye is at -6.75 so the lens will poke me in the eye. I tried inserts in a few glasses and it never worked for me. I was on hard lenses and that was pure hell. Even a little dust and tears would be streaming down my face. That is if I am not on all fours looking for a lens that fell out of my eyes.

The biggest hate I had with inserts (I was on -2.75 at that stage) was the weight on my nose. The optometrist tried getting the lenses thinned, but it was still heavy. So I can only imagine a -6.75 weight added to ones glasses.

There was a question raised on the lenses shattering. I know my Rudy Project lenses had ImpactX lenses (https://www.rudyproject.com/ww/en/technology/impactx.html). The lenses will not shatter but they do crack. Thinking of it. I have a frame somewhere that lost a lens and cracked other lens.. Think I must find it and get new lenses for it.

I had Evil Eyes from Adidas. The lenses was prone to cracking. Replaced the lenses twice and gave the glasses away after the 2nd replacement. My Oakley's always had a frame weakness and I broke two frames in a years span. I then started wearing Rudy Projects. Purchased a KWay non photochromatic two years ago, but hated the thing as it had lens distortion and made me fall

FWIW, sclerals can be had in hard or soft. I have one of each but only use them for water sports. You'll likely find they're more comfortable than normal lenses too.

My wife had a fall while cycling several years ago. A pedestrian stepped into the road in front of her and she came down quite hard. She was wearing her normal daily multi focals with "plastic" lenses. The lenses broke and she cut her eyebrow badly, requiring stitches. Since then we have both stopped wearing prescription glasses for cycling.

Question: Are the lenses in cycling specific sunglasses tougher/safer than the polycarbonate lenses in standard optometrist prescription glasses? Are "normal" optometrist made plastic lenses deemed safe for cycling?

I asked my optom about this and he says I'll never have a problem with the lenses breaking. Dunno. Some eye protection lenses are very strong and made of a special material, eg for shooting sports where ricochets / bounce backs can be quite serious.

• 1 month later...

Recently bought a rudy frame and had prescription lenses made. The lenses are relatively curved especially at the end so viewing is really strange. Optometrist said it will take a while to get use to this anyone else experienced something similar ? 

Recently bought a rudy frame and had prescription lenses made. The lenses are relatively curved especially at the end so viewing is really strange. Optometrist said it will take a while to get use to this anyone else experienced something similar ? 

Yeah, I think so. I use Rydons with the insert, only seldomly, but it's always an adjustment when I wear them.

Yes. I had two problems with exactly that setup.

One, the issue you mention; I complained horribly about not having been informed in advance. Amongst other things, completely screwed my depth perception. Manageable on a road bike but not on a MTB on a trail.

Two, the corners of the lenses where they clip into the frames were very weak and broke at the very slightest provocation. I ended up returning everything for a full refund.

I bought an exact duplicate my daily titanium frames and lenses but with photochromic component. I had taken a few falls since then. Way stronger and safer than the Rydons. 

Edited by MudLark

I bought a 100% sunglass frame 6 months ago for use while driving and cycling, been very impressed, I mountain bike at least every weekend and the frame is holding up very well, no visible scratches or damage at all 6 months later, and they feel very durable. I picked the frame up at a bargain price of R900 on Takealot 6 months ago.

Cheapest I can find it for now is R1685: https://www.acesports.co.za/products/100-type-s-sunglasses

I had them fitted with Yellow tinted lenses and I think they're pretty awesome.

The other models I considered in 100% range were the Daze:

https://www.acesports.co.za/products/100-daze-sunglasses

And the centric:

https://www.acesports.co.za/products/100-centric-sunglasses

The lenses costed me around R500, but I have a family connection thats an optom.

post-12443-0-97093600-1615290241_thumb.jpg

post-12443-0-39256200-1615290268_thumb.jpg

Not sure why the picture is being added to the post upside-down... sorry.

It is referred to as prismatic disorder. It happens to some lower quality lenses if the base curve goes above 8. (this is when the lenses are bent to fit into the frame or wrap around your face).

Theoretically this should not happen if the right process was applied to fit them in the first place.

Why does companies like Oakley, Essilor, Zeiss etc. manage to get it right without any issue? 

I think it is a mistake from the lab and or optom. It needs to be rectified. 

Unless you have multifocal lenses and the sides are blurry because one's eyes don't normally wander to the sides of the glasses. But if you have single vision lenses with a tint on them then the above applies. I would return them (obviously if they're still new). I would tell the optom that it gives you head aches and it is a massive risk having the "earth jump" every time you glance to the sides  :thumbup: