New to Gauteng - LBS in Randburg and Germiston

Gripen_85

Hi there,

I'm new to the area, and looking for good bike stores in the Randburg and Germiston areas.

I have been to Cagees in Strubensvalley and the service was absolutely appalling.

They treated a MTBer new to the sport like the scum of the earth, and their overall attitude was very unwelcoming.

I have also been to The Bicycle Workshop in Lambton, and they were great. Friendly and efficient, and reasonably priced. While the store is small, they are happy to order whatever you need.

Any other recommendations?

Especially for someone new to the sport, who needs sound advice and not to be taken for a ride.

Thanks!

Linden Cycles or Northcliff Cycles are also pretty damn good.

First prize is Sprocket & Jack though. 

Couple nice ones around that have stood the test of time. Linden Cycles all round champion. Dunkeld Cycles come with a premium and free coffee. Northcliff great too. Unsure of Germiston sorry.

LBS is Germiston have their ups and downs. The more I use them the more I realize unfortunately I need to up my skills and DIY. Very sad to say it but stay away. 

Stay far away from the store you mentioned you had visited in your first post. I rather drive 20km to go to Cycle Lab, Cadence World or Northcliff cycles.

Cadence World is a lovely LBS situated in Krugersdorp. I would highly recommend them for basically anything.

Northcliff cycles is close to you and I have dealt with them before. Also a great LBS I would recommend. They do however have a limited range of bike brands they sell. They are big on Bianchi, but also have Norco and a few others like Titan and Momsen I think.

Cycle Lab in Fourways has also always been good to me. Some will say stay away, others like me will recommend them as I have yet to encounter a bad experience.

Just once again, stay far away from the place you mentioned in your first post. Don't even go there just to look around or buy a bottle of lube.

I was recently very surprised and very impressed by Donna at CycleLab Fourways.

Impressive service received whilst everyone else was napping 

You only go to Cajees when you know exactly what you want and even then you have to bargain them down, all there marked prices are way over priced for the walkin customer who has no idea what the realistic prices should be - Oh and don't ever let them service your bike they are clueless in all matters of repair and service.

Solomons woodmead - maybe not the cheapest but always willing to give you a better deal off marked prices - they also always have specials running - I got 5 26gram bombs there the other day for 150 ronds. 

Cyclelab fourways or East Rand - I never supported them in the past but lately when i compare prices they been the cheapest by far. If you walk in and get the right sales person you get good service, but there are a couple of chops that work there who have no clue what they talking about.

Ridgeway Cycles in greenstone - also worth a looksee.  Not the cheapest, but certainly not over the top on their prices. Very willing to help. Seen a few negative comments on their service side but i suppose that's par for the course in any workshop, they always busy so obviously the majority customers are happy campers.

I never allow any LBS to service or repair my bikes I've yet to find one that truly knows what they doing - I buy the parts and do all my own builds and repairs.

Most good / reasonable shops on Westrand have been mentioned. Can add the following 2 to the excellent list: 

Bicycle Service Company - Fourways

Dagley's  - Honeydew (opposite main entrance to Eagle Canyon)

This is the only reason I go to Cajees. 

You only go to Cajees when you know exactly what you want and even then you have to bargain them down, all there marked prices are way over priced for the walkin customer who has no idea what the realistic prices should be - Oh and don't ever let them service your bike they are clueless in all matters of repair and service.

Solomons woodmead - maybe not the cheapest but always willing to give you a better deal off marked prices - they also always have specials running - I got 5 26gram bombs there the other day for 150 ronds. 

Cyclelab fourways or East Rand - I never supported them in the past but lately when i compare prices they been the cheapest by far. If you walk in and get the right sales person you get good service, but there are a couple of chops that work there who have no clue what they talking about.

Ridgeway Cycles in greenstone - also worth a looksee.  Not the cheapest, but certainly not over the top on their prices. Very willing to help. Seen a few negative comments on their service side but i suppose that's par for the course in any workshop, they always busy so obviously the majority customers are happy campers.

I never allow any LBS to service or repair my bikes I've yet to find one that truly knows what they doing - I buy the parts and do all my own builds and repairs.