Cape Town and surrounds must do MTB rides

Mike Mac

Hi

I am new to MTB and I am looking for recommendations for must do trails in Cape Town and surrounds. Green and blue categories should be fine. I will most likely be riding alone so would like to avoid any areas that may have security concerns.

I have ridden the Tokai Trails and the Constantia Greenbelt Trails.

Recommendations appreciated.

If you have managed to ride the snakes trails at Tokai I would highly recommend going to Jonkershoek to do the Armageddon which is probably one of my favourites ever.

Also in Stellenbosch you can go to the G spot / Eden (hopefully Eden is fixed up because last time I went a storm caused a lot of trees to fall making the trails absolutely un-rideable)

Other than that the northern suburbs offer a large variety of trails in the Tygerberg Network, mostly green-blue lines but some still have a couple fun features, Contermanskloof being my favourite of them for offering a bit more rocks than the rest that is all pretty much just fast flowy berms.

Edited by Jbr

Thank you JBR.

I have survived Snakes as well as Donkey ok. I have avoided the Black rated DH runs for now (except the one at the end of Vasbyt which I ended up on by mistake). Hopefully that gives an indications of my comfort zone for now.

Thank you for the above recommendation, I will put them on my wish list.

Red route at Paul Cluver

Think they are closed at the moment. They removed the mtb website so can't see what's going on. Last when I check they scheduled to close on 1 Jan for maintenance.

Try hoogekraal, bloemendal, contermanskloof as suggested in the tygerberg area.

Blockhouse routes around table mountain from Rhodes memorial but don't ride alone.

Also try from Constantia nek circle to Cecilia forest thru kirstenbosch and end up at newlands forest

Finally moved back to Slaapstad but after 15 years not to sure what's still around . One of my favorite spots use to be Lebanon , this still an option ? 

Blockhouse routes around table mountain from Rhodes memorial but don't ride alone.

Also try from Constantia nek circle to Cecilia forest thru kirstenbosch and end up at newlands forest

Thanks. I have ridden the Constantia Nel to Newlands forest a few time. Nice ride.

I have been wanting to do the rides around the Block House but have avoided them due to reading reports of security issues in that area.

I will add the Tygerberg Trails on my wish list

Edited by Mike Mac

I rode the Rhodes Mem, Blockhouse, Tafelberg rd regularly on the weekends over the last two years (lockdowns permitting), with my son or on my own. Fantastic route and some interesting variety. From around 07h30 the route was pretty busy in decent weather and there were generally a lot of people out.  In the rain it tended to be deserted and could be a bit eerie in the mist.  Never had/ or saw any problems but as a disclaimer I do edc (for what it is worth while cycling).