Where to ride your MTB in the Sandton area?

SLipstream

North of Sandton? Head out to the cradle. There is a decent single track route round the cradle. 

Your options to ride from home are more limited - maybe find a club ride to join

A good safe spot is Big Red Barn in Centurion and then Taroko Trails in Modderfontein.

I’ve ridden both alone multiple times with complete confidence.

Couple of other spots like Northern Farms as well to consider.

Good idea to find someone that will be keen on showing you around.

AVOID: The spruit and delta park unless you’re in a large group. 3 attacks in the last 3 days.

Edited by DR ◣◢

A good safe spot is Big Red Barn in Centurion and then Taroko Trails in Modderfontein.

I’ve ridden both alone multiple times with complete confidence.

Couple of other spots like Northern Farms as well to consider.

Good idea to find someone that will be keen on showing you around.

AVOID: The spruit and delta park unless you’re in a large group. 3 attacks in the last 3 days.

Don't be a wussy.

Let's go ride the spruit and rid it of the current scourge

Within easy driving or riding distance - Taroko (Modderfontein), Thaba Trails in Alberton, PWC Brynston and Northern Farms if riding from Broadacres. 
Cradle has Avianto, Cradle Loop and Cradle Moon. Also within riding distance from Broadacres. 

Braamfontein Spruit, although best to practice caution currently and ride with a group. Ideally though the majority of the Spruit is closed under level three. Unless you're accessing parks like Emmerentia.

In the future hopefully, Leeuwkop. 

Within easy driving or riding distance - Taroko (Modderfontein), Thaba Trails in Alberton, PWC Brynston and Northern Farms if riding from Broadacres.

Cradle has Avianto, Cradle Loop and Cradle Moon. Also within riding distance from Broadacres.

Braamfontein Spruit, although best to practice caution currently and ride with a group. Ideally though the majority of the Spruit is closed under level three. Unless you're accessing parks like Emmerentia.

@Danger Dassie - What chatter have you heard about leeuwkop? They're currently not very inviting...

Most have been mentioned here already.

Additionally you can also join a club. Cycle Lab Fourways do club rides on Saturdays from the store. There is also PWC bike park.

Edited by Wimmas

In cradle area you can add Kingskloof for some more technical riding as well as a whole set of other informal trails.....just check the Strava heat maps

In cradle area you can add Kingskloof for some more technical riding as well as a whole set of other informal trails.....just check the Strava heat maps

Side note: who I saw has had to close temporarily because their roads/bridges (I forget what exactly) were washed away with the big rains last week. 

@Danger Dassie - What chatter have you heard about leeuwkop? They're currently not very inviting...

I shot a small fund raiser MTB event there a month or so back. There was talk from some regulars in the area about trying to get trails and access formalised again. Using the country club as a base away from the main prison complex. 

Apparently they'd been in talks with the minister of justice/correctional services and Co, who were pretty receptive to the idea. 

Would love it to come off, such an invaluable resource.

Side note: who I saw has had to close temporarily because their roads/bridges (I forget what exactly) were washed away with the big rains last week. 

I saw on Facebook yesterday, that Kings Kloof will be open again this weekend.

• 1 year later...