Study on mask safety

Quagga

I feel this is safety related.

Most of us ride with a buff and use it at a coffee stop, well it seems that a buff is doing more to spread the virus than stop it, as it breaks up bigger droplets into smaller airborne ones.

I will now pack a proper mask and also stay way clear of someone wearing a buff.

Thought I will share the info, since we can work together and try and stop the spread so we can excersise and stay safe

https://www.usatoday.com/in-depth/news/2020/08/16/face-masks-what-makes-some-better-than-others-against-covid-19/5535737002/

post-31289-0-53099000-1610008167_thumb.png

Edited by Quagga

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Very interesting. The "law" around here specifies a face covering. Thus buff's, pieces of home made material  etc etc etc are acceptable. 

I tend to wear a buff as i generally go to shops on the motorbike. Will pack a mask too forthwith. 

Very interesting. The "law" around here specifies a face covering. Thus buff's, pieces of home made material  etc etc etc are acceptable. 

I tend to wear a buff as i generally go to shops on the motorbike. Will pack a mask too forthwith. 

Same here, "law" states mask or any homemade covering that covers both nose and mouth.

But it does not state is has to be cloth. Hence the shields etc.

"Not a large scale clinical trial so results can't be generalized"

All I am saying is that according to that the buff is worst thing you can wear if you want to protect yourself and other around you.

Same here, "law" states mask or any homemade covering that covers both nose and mouth.

But it does not state is has to be cloth. Hence the shields etc.

Will look into it. Pointless wearing an item that defeats the purpose. 

well we have bigger issues to worry about...

Social Distancing- please stay 1,5m apart.

Most major retailers- Ok let's post a person at the door to hand you a tag and spray your hands with sanitizer as you walk in.

Please tell me how someone can socially distance if everyone entering the store must come into nearly direct contact with the same person at the entrance.

Even El Presidente said "a cloth mask" should be worn...

Yes but unfortunately is was not put in the rules like that

Not really but I dont really care, I will rather look at what worked best in the study and wear that since I dont want da virus

Absolutely.!!

I haven't gone through the detail so shooting from the hip.

Looking around, it almost seems most are applying the "vigorous exercise" ruling and cycling without mask.

I thought having a buff on to be good and at least allows for a quick cover up when required on the road

Perhaps a mask in pocket to wear for longer stops.

Interesting that John Hopkins Medicine uses the term "is usually too thin to provide adequate protection" and not that it is worse that not wearing a mask. Guess some cover is better than no cover.

https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/conditions-and-diseases/coronavirus/coronavirus-face-masks-what-you-need-to-know

How effective are neck gaiters and bandanas in stopping the spread of the coronavirus? Are masks with valves OK?

None of these three types of face coverings works as well as a proper face mask. A good mask has a double layer of washable, breathable fabric that helps keep the wearer from spreading potentially infected droplets into the air. A bandanna tied around the face does not work as well as a mask because it is open at the bottom. A gaiter (a tube of thin, stretchy knit fabric that can be worn around the neck and pulled up to cover the nose and mouth) is usually too thin to provide adequate protection. Likewise, masks with exhalation valves can allow your droplets to escape into the air.

Johns Hopkins Medicine does not permit bandanas, gaiters, or masks with exhalation valves to be worn by patients, staff members or visitors at our locations

I've heard of "a candle test" with any envisaged face cover.

If you can blow out a candle through said cover, it's obviously no good.

As for a buff being too thin, when used solely as a "mask" I find I need to fold it over 2-3 times.?

Yeah just don’t like to have my buff around my neck all day anyways, I usually just put my mask in my pocket and put it on if I stop for food or drinks anyways...

Ditto,

i'd rather have the proper thing when I need it. The other thing about using a buff is that it becomes saturated with sweat very quickly. SO I'd like to read more about the study that concluded a potential problem with buff's. I don't like wearing a buff anyway aAs I don't like breathing in so much water since I'm not a fish