Study on mask safety

Quagga

I feel this is safety related.

Most of us ride with a buff and use it at a coffee stop, well it seems that a buff is doing more to spread the virus than stop it, as it breaks up bigger droplets into smaller airborne ones.

I will now pack a proper mask and also stay way clear of someone wearing a buff.

Thought I will share the info, since we can work together and try and stop the spread so we can excersise and stay safe

https://www.usatoday.com/in-depth/news/2020/08/16/face-masks-what-makes-some-better-than-others-against-covid-19/5535737002/

attachicon.gif1.PNG

Thank you for sharing!

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't remember where it was, petrol station or shop or some sorts, but a chap approached us and he was wearing one of those valved masks. But the valve was removed. And so there was just an open hole through to the side of his mouth. He reminded us of that two-face character from the batman movie.

It seemed a typically 'South African attempt' moment.

I have also seen that and just had to laugh. I have also seen photos of the other extreme where some dude rocked up to woolies I think it was with a scuba tank and mask.

Will look into it. Pointless wearing an item that defeats the purpose. 

not picking on you, just the first reply I thought this quote to be relevant to. The article thankfully does state the following:

"Regardless of mask-type, fewer coronavirus particles get through to people wearing face coverings, according to a new paper that will be published in the Journal of General Internal Medicine shortly. Fewer particles could result in milder infections if the virus manages to slip through."

but also

"A neck gaiter, an item beloved by runners, ranked worse than no mask at all."

So eh. The article graphs aren't consistent either, so take it with a pinch of salt, whoever cares about that.

Edited by Dirkitech

Slate me, hate me, tie me to a pole and burn me...there is still not sufficient conclusive evidence masks are helping to curb the spread. More and more people are wearing masks across the world, but the spread is happening faster (pre-the new strain). It only became mandatory to wear a mask in indoor public spaces in British Columbia in November, and that was done to appease the masses who were asking for masks to be mandated. We are allowed to walk the streets freely.

The spread is happening much more from surface contact than virally.

What a mask/face shield/covering does achieve is the inadvertent touching of it mouth/nose with potentially virus carrying hands.

If you want to wear a mask, where a mask. If you want to west a buff, where a buff. If you don’t want to wear a mask, just keep but distance. Better still, just always keep your distance Waterhouse you have a mask/shield/covering or not, and don’t handle things unnecessarily.

Shots fired. Some will crucify you.

Masks do help. The extent of which is not fully understood.

But I agree. Rather don’t depend on a mask.

Slate me, hate me, tie me to a pole and burn me...there is still not sufficient conclusive evidence masks are helping to curb the spread. More and more people are wearing masks across the world, but the spread is happening faster (pre-the new strain). It only became mandatory to wear a mask in indoor public spaces in British Columbia in November, and that was done to appease the masses who were asking for masks to be mandated. We are allowed to walk the streets freely.

What a mask/face shield/covering does achieve is the inadvertent touching of it mouth/nose with potentially virus carrying hands.

If you want to wear a mask, where a mask. If you want to west a buff, where a buff. If you don’t want to wear a mask, just keep but distance. Better still, just always keep your distance Waterhouse you have a mask/shield/covering or not, and don’t handle things unnecessarily.

The part of the equation you're missing is how the virus gets onto surfaces in the first place - from your mouth and nose.

The virus is not in sweat - it IS in the spit, phlegm, snot etc and goes straight from your mouth to the environment. The primary objective mask wearing is to stop infected people contaminating the environment not to protect the wearer.

Just a reminder:

How novel coronavirus spreads You are probably most contagious if you have symptoms. However, you may still infect others even if you have no symptoms.

Novel coronavirus is transmitted through droplet and contact spread in the same way as for example the common cold or influenza.

Droplet spread

When an infected person coughs, sneezes or shouts, small droplets containing virus are ejected into the air and can spread over short distances. These droplets can be inhaled by another person or land in their eyes, nose or mouth. Droplet transmission is effectively prevented by keeping a distance of at least 1-2 metres apart from other people.

Many people together in small rooms as well as poor ventilation and air circulation indoors also increase the risk of infection. So open door and windows and air out your home regularly.

Contact spread

Contact spread can occur by direct as well as indirect contact.

Direct transmission occurs when an infected person has saliva or snot on their hands and then, for example, shake hands with somebody who then proceeds to touch their own nose, eyes or mouth. 

Indirect transmission occurs when an infected person either coughs or sneezes or touches something with the virus on their hands. The next person who comes along and touches the same surfaces can then become infected if they proceed to touch their own nose, eyes or mouth. 

The risk of contact spread is reduced by washing or sanitising your hands often and by cleaning of contact points and surfaces regularly and thoroughly.

not picking on you, just the first reply I thought this quote to be relevant to. The article thankfully does state the following:

"Regardless of mask-type, fewer coronavirus particles get through to people wearing face coverings, according to a new paper that will be published in the Journal of General Internal Medicine shortly. Fewer particles could result in milder infections if the virus manages to slip through."

but also

"A neck gaiter, an item beloved by runners, ranked worse than no mask at all."

So eh. The article graphs aren't consistent either, so take it with a pinch of salt, whoever cares about that.

From what I understand with a mask the droplets are captured, but with a buff they are broken  up

There has been a few peer reviewed studies done on the efficiency of masks.

https://files.fast.ai/papers/masks_lit_review.pdf - links to a study done in April last year by numerous different institutions world wide

https://www.healthaffairs.org/doi/10.1377/hlthaff.2020.00818

https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0237691#sec012

Obviously it's still not 100% but it's better than just social distancing and not wearing one.

All the measures do need to go hand in hand.

There are videos done by mythbusters showing how far the human breath can travel with a cough/sneeze. This is the thing that I worry about the most, you can wash your hands as much as you like, and not touch anything, but if you are not wearing a mask and someone coughs within 2-3 meters of you, you could potentially be exposed

The part of the equation you're missing is how the virus gets onto surfaces in the first place - from your mouth and nose.

The virus is not in sweat - it IS in the spit, phlegm, snot etc and goes straight from your mouth to the environment. The primary objective mask wearing is to stop infected people contaminating the environment not to protect the wearer.

Masks are said the reduce inadvertent contact with your mouth/nose, thereby helping reduce surface spread.

There is a lot of literature supporting masks, but there is also a lot of literature disputing the effectiveness. And some countries support make being mandatory in all public places while others do not.

So there is still no conclusive outcome

Masks are said the reduce inadvertent contact with your mouth/nose, thereby helping reduce surface spread.

There is a lot of literature supporting masks, but there is also a lot of literature disputing the effectiveness. And some countries support make being mandatory in all public places while others do not.

So there is still no conclusive outcome

And masks work in that they are a constant reminder to maintain physical distance. Another side benefit if you will. 

But the full extent of wearing them constantly and their primary reason for existence being protection to the wearer (and others) is not completely understood as yet. 

(these masks were designed for the primary purpose of protecting the wearer after all)

post-22685-0-90127400-1610115972_thumb.jpeg

This still comes to mind every time someone disputes mask actually making a difference. 

We've established that certain masks do not protect as well as others. Wearing the wrong mask still causes the virus to spread but at a much reduced rate. Except for buffs that is. 

Covid has been been detected in urine and faeces in some patients. 

Smelling of farts is after all fecal matter. 

but its just banter

Edited by IceCreamMan

And masks work in that they are a constant reminder to maintain physical distance. Another side benefit if you will. 

Which is my current argument - so be it a mask/buff/gator/face shield, there is something there - its a reminded, an inadvertent barrier, etc

I am not saying people are silly for wearing a mask - each to his own. But if you see someone not wearing a mask, don't judge, get angry or worked up - given them an extra meter and let them be