Training after Coronavirus

In your afternoon run what is the "average cadence 169 spm?

Is that steps per minute? My Polar says is do about 89 spm when running at 5.45  per km/h?

Polar counts 1 legs steps, so 89 would be a total of 178 steps per minute by both legs

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Everyone's covid experience is different it seems. My wife and I both tested positive after showing symptoms. We were away for a weekend with friends and did some mtb riding. At that stage I had a slight cold. We arrived home and my wife was woman down - she slept for a week and had a high temperature for a few days. We only realized what it was when I lost my taste and smell. I continued at work that first week and then we both isolated after the positive tests. The worst symptom I had was a serious head ache for two days and the loss of taste and smell (which 4.5 months later is still not 100%.) I cant recall when I started riding again but it was probably 4 weeks after I was tested. No lasting issues that I can detect. None of our friends contracted Covid from us. (* I checked Strava - my first ride post Covid was 2 weeks after I was tested which was 10 days after I got sick)

In May 2019 I had a serious flu bug. I coughed up phlegm for 3 months. I did hardly any riding and only felt better when I was on steroids. This was far worse than my Covid experience. I have also heard of people who have "normal" flu losing taste and smell permanently after a serious bout. 

That said Covid definitely felt different to anything I have ever had before and the fact that it spreads so easily and can be fatal make it more of a concern for me than it was at the outset. Just heard our bookkeepers father-in-law died of Covid on his 81st birthday after 16 days of illness. He was alone and they would not even let his wife see him. These stories are rife and very upsetting.

Edited by Headshot

I tested positive on 16 December (result came back 18th). By that point I was feeling groggy, the 17th I felt worse, but not horrible. On the 18th it took a turn - bad sinus headache, really congested, low energy, and a general fluish feeling. I did not lose taste and smell, but strange enough the skin on the back of my neck and upper back was sensitive - it felt like a bad sun-burn. 

I had 3 bad days (18, 19, and 20th), and after that it subsided. Just a bit of coughing and a headache. By the 23rd I was feeling mostly okay. I had just gotten a new bike which was calling to me from the garage. I went for a solo ride on the 25th (this was my first day after the isolation period - 10 days from when symptoms were felt). It did not go well - I felt super tired, no power, and breathing harder than usual. 26th's ride was also strained. I rested the 27th. 

On the 28th I went for a 40km (1200m elevation) mtb ride - I felt 100%. Continued to ride every day until now with 3 rest days in that time period. I feel 100% fine now although I think my fitness did take a slight knock. 

From what I gather it all depends on whether it gets into your lungs or not - it did not get into my lungs and that is why I think I bounced back quite fast. I know of others who seemingly recovered, and then as soon as they started exercising they got sick again. 

Rather use Texa instead of Allerway or Allergex.

I have not been tested, had no symptoms, maybe a runny nose occasionally coupled with a cough, basically a post nasal drip. Was in good shape end of October and then involved in a cycling accident. Was then off the bike for roughly 3 weeks and tried running which was an epic fail. I changed allergy medication from alleyway to allergex. Could easily do a 5km with average rate of 145-150BPM @ 5:45 km/h pace.

Back to the first run second week in November, not even 1km in and 180BPM. Decided to run/ walk/ run the rest of the way averaging 140BPM, following runs the same. First ride back on the bike, the same, extremely high heart rate. Eased myself back into it and dropped the allergex and returned to allerway. Strangely though, previously I could max hit 175BPM and feel like I’m dying, but now all seems okay and I can push to 181BPM.

I don’t know what was the cause, I’m just happy to be back on the road of fitness.

Started showing mild symptoms on 15 December, and was man down from 21 December. Had a dry cough (like exercise induced asthma), fever, body aches, head aches and extreme tiredness. Felt much better since 4 January. Been on the e-bike a few times on flat rides, with nothing that exceeds an average ride of 70% of max HR. Still have days where I'm exhausted (like today) and don't have any energy. I'll start some more strenuous exercise in a fortnight. It's nothing I've been told or read, just me listening to my body and taking it easy.    

During December, my wife tested positive and almost ended in hospital.

I also developed symptoms, but test came back Negative, WTF is up with that?

I had mild symptoms, but also struggling to start training. Tired most of the time. biggest issue is with work as I feel my concentration and mental abilities is affected.

So I feel dumb, tired and ADHD-like.

During December, my wife tested positive and almost ended in hospital.

I also developed symptoms, but test came back Negative, WTF is up with that?

The PCR test for COVID has something like a 30% false negative rate i.e. 30% of people who actually have COVID will get a negative result on the test. Not sure if this is impacted by having symptoms or not.

Everyone's covid experience is different it seems. My wife and I both tested positive after showing symptoms. We were away for a weekend with friends and did some mtb riding. At that stage I had a slight cold. We arrived home and my wife was woman down - she slept for a week and had a high temperature for a few days. We only realized what it was when I lost my taste and smell. I continued at work that first week and then we both isolated after the positive tests. The worst symptom I had was a serious head ache for two days and the loss of taste and smell (which 4.5 months later is still not 100%.) I cant recall when I started riding again but it was probably 4 weeks after I was tested. No lasting issues that I can detect. None of our friends contracted Covid from us. (* I checked Strava - my first ride post Covid was 2 weeks after I was tested which was 10 days after I got sick)

In May 2019 I had a serious flu bug. I coughed up phlegm for 3 months. I did hardly any riding and only felt better when I was on steroids. This was far worse than my Covid experience. I have also heard of people who have "normal" flu losing taste and smell permanently after a serious bout. 

That said Covid definitely felt different to anything I have ever had before and the fact that it spreads so easily and can be fatal make it more of a concern for me than it was at the outset. Just heard our bookkeepers father-in-law died of Covid on his 81st birthday after 16 days of illness. He was alone and they would not even let his wife see him. These stories are rife and very upsetting.

Yip, it's definitely become much more real now. During the "first wave" I only knew of a couple of people who got sick. But for round 2 it feels like I'm in the minority because (to my knowledge) I've not had it. But who knows, I might have. I had a few rides over Christmas where I had to turn back because I was just feeling lousy. Not in the legs, but my breathing and heart rate weren't great. 

Also on new years day I woke up with a headache and feeling a bit nauseous. 

It seems like such a lottery though. My brother and Aunt both caught it, both in the UK. My brother (a relatively healthy 40 yr old) couldn't get out of bed for a week. But my Aunt, a 70yr old overweight ex-smoker was practically asymptomatic. 

Started showing mild symptoms on 15 December, and was man down from 21 December. Had a dry cough (like exercise induced asthma), fever, body aches, head aches and extreme tiredness. Felt much better since 4 January. Been on the e-bike a few times on flat rides, with nothing that exceeds an average ride of 70% of max HR. Still have days where I'm exhausted (like today) and don't have any energy. I'll start some more strenuous exercise in a fortnight. It's nothing I've been told or read, just me listening to my body and taking it easy.    

How do you think this would affect those that have yuppie flu in the system ?

I got infected end July. Felt like a flu but was never concerned that its life threatening. At the time my o2 sat was 98% but then developed long covid and o2 sat dropped to 92%. I just didn't get better. Had severe fatigue and brain-fog for months. Beginning of December I took ivermectin for 5 days in a row and my brain fog was gone. O2 sat improved to 94%. Followed up with testing at a sports physician and was diagnosed with fluid on the lungs and started 6 months asthma treatment. Was given the clear to start 30min at 70%hr. Has since managed 1h20 at 70%hr and even a 15min run at 85% without too serious repercussion.

Still very far from what I was before covid but grateful that at least I can ride my bike again.

They dont know anything yet about long covid and estimate that it can effect 10% of of people who gets the virus.  

How do you think this would affect those that have yuppie flu in the system ?

It's something I'm trying to research on the web, which within itself can be a minefield of misinformation. All I know is, is that the tiredness is very real, and attitude will be important to overcome it. Whilst real, patients can either see themselves as victims or conquerors. 

Yip, it's definitely become much more real now. During the "first wave" I only knew of a couple of people who got sick. But for round 2 it feels like I'm in the minority because (to my knowledge) I've not had it. But who knows, I might have. I had a few rides over Christmas where I had to turn back because I was just feeling lousy. Not in the legs, but my breathing and heart rate weren't great. 

Also on new years day I woke up with a headache and feeling a bit nauseous. 

It seems like such a lottery though. My brother and Aunt both caught it, both in the UK. My brother (a relatively healthy 40 yr old) couldn't get out of bed for a week. But my Aunt, a 70yr old overweight ex-smoker was practically asymptomatic. 

As you say, its really tricky this time around.

I had a scare, 2nd Jan I got up with a bad fever and overall just felt drained. I slept the entire weekend thinking it was fatigue from festive500 and a few late nights. Lack of energy continued for a few days and I isolated for 7 days before doing a test which came back negative. I was certain I had it by the way I felt as it was the first time ever that I felt like this.

How soon before it becomes some sort of fashion/trend to have had "the 'vid"

Thats already long gone - I used to feel special, now every second person has had it and with worse symptoms. Hoping for second wave redemption. :-)