Camber 2014 - Chainstay replacement

Steven

Hey Everyone.

While doing some routine maintenance to my 2014 Specialized Camber 29, I came across a crack to my chainstay, which is obviously not ideal. Specialized SA said I should take it to be welded, but not sure how long this is going to last. I would ideally like to have a replacement, and was wondering if there were any suggestions on where to look or if anyone has a spare one out there.

Thanks, Steven

Hey Everyone.

While doing some routine maintenance to my 2014 Specialized Camber 29, I came across a crack to my chainstay, which is obviously not ideal. Specialized SA said I should take it to be welded, but not sure how long this is going to last. I would ideally like to have a replacement, and was wondering if there were any suggestions on where to look or if anyone has a spare one out there.

Thanks, Steven

Got my Aluminium chainstay on 2013 Epic welded two years ago. Still as good as new. Someone in Wellington did the welding. Can't remember who.

I recon post a WANTED advert on Bikehub - you never know who might have triangles in their boot. Or someone with a damaged frame... your best chance.

If you have it welded properly it will be good for many more miles. I don't know why people are scared of having their frames welded, as long as it's done properly. Don't take it to that oke on the side of the road that does exhausts.

Why is this not covered by the frame warranty?

Outside of warranty. Think the chain/seat stays carry a 5 year warrant and a lifetime warranty applies on the mainframe. 

• 1 year later...

Just a follow up to my previous post!

It has been just over a year now and after I couldn’t find a replacement part, I had the crack welded & reinforced. 
it last extremely well, until I did an inspection this morning and found it had cracked again, right next to the repaired section. The repair was definitely worth the money spent, but now off to search for a replacement, until a new bike is feasible.

Please let me know if anyone is selling or has seen a replacement chain stay - thanks

58A54E11-6FFE-453E-B39E-BE8E1DE4F53D.jpeg

DBF0CDE8-3E9E-4C7F-978E-00D6DBEA68BF.jpeg

As an aside, how often do you check your linkage bearings?

Those sorts of cracks usually happen when bearings get notchy or seize.

1 ride in the mud can do it and all it takes is 1 of the 8 bearings to be gunky before everything breaks down.

Ouch! I broke the chainstay on my 2014 Rocky Mountain Instinct and luckily they still had stock available. 

If I'm not mistaken as Stumpjumper swingarm could also work for your Camber.

Hello Steven,

This is Bobby Behan here from Specialized Bicycles. I stumbled across your post this morning and remembered seeing some older parts a few days ago in our storage room. The team did some digging and we've found you a chainstay. The team are going to reach out to you directly and send the chainstay to your preferred local Specialized Retailer. There is no charge for the chainstay, there will be some labour at the store to fit it. We'll leave that between you and the retailer.

Have a top weekend. 

18 minutes ago, BobbyBehan said:

Hello Steven,

This is Bobby Behan here from Specialized Bicycles. I stumbled across your post this morning and remembered seeing some older parts a few days ago in our storage room. The team did some digging and we've found you a chainstay. The team are going to reach out to you directly and send the chainstay to your preferred local Specialized Retailer. There is no charge for the chainstay, there will be some labour at the store to fit it. We'll leave that between you and the retailer.

Have a top weekend. 

That's awesome. 

2 hours ago, BobbyBehan said:

Hello Steven,

Have a top weekend. 

Hi Bobby,

That is absolutely fantastic news! 
Thank-you so so much 🙏🙏
I look forward to hearing from the team and enjoying the trails again!!

Will definitely attend to the chain and give her a new lease on the trails👍🏻