WhatsApp & Facebook

IceCreamMan

So given the latest data sharing arrangement and Mr Musk’s comments what is the general thinking on Hubland?

Wont affect EU/UK users but some of the groups I am in have ppl from areas where it is applicable.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Can’t see how it influences the info they already have on you? Also can’t see how it will impact my life. But I’m dumb like that.

Can’t see how it influences the info they already have on you? Also can’t see how it will impact my life. But I’m dumb like that.

This is sortof how I'm feeling about this whole thing. I understand the issue is that Facebook promised never to do this when they bought WhatsApp, and now they've done exactly what they said they wouldn't. But with the actual messages being end to end encrypted, I don't see how exactly Facebook can make use of that data.

I'll wait for someone smarter/more resourceful to explain the actual impact that this will have on my day to day existence. If WhatsApp starts showing ads all over the place, well, then I'm out.

This is sortof how I'm feeling about this whole thing. I understand the issue is that Facebook promised never to do this when they bought WhatsApp, and now they've done exactly what they said they wouldn't. But with the actual messages being end to end encrypted, I don't see how exactly Facebook can make use of that data.

I'll wait for someone smarter/more resourceful to explain the actual impact that this will have on my day to day existence. If WhatsApp starts showing ads all over the place, well, then I'm out.

Something about phone numbers, location, contacts (which I think fb already has), spending habits and where you spend etc when they release Whatsapp pay (Not sure if it is true or part of some conspiracy). So ja all this info is already pretty public I think. But as soon as there are adds all over the show I’m out.

That cat is already out the bag. This doesn't affect me in the slightest. I'm fully aware of my online presence and what information is out there. Fact is.. Spoiler.. It's all out there

This is sortof how I'm feeling about this whole thing. I understand the issue is that Facebook promised never to do this when they bought WhatsApp, and now they've done exactly what they said they wouldn't. But with the actual messages being end to end encrypted, I don't see how exactly Facebook can make use of that data.

It will be interesting to see how (if) they monetize it.

Lots of people will be leaving Whatsapp for Telegram, Signal, etc. I've already seen it starting to happen.

Looks like WA already 'backtracked' and are saying it's more to do with WA business accounts.

Lots of people will be leaving Whatsapp for Telegram, Signal, etc. I've already seen it starting to happen.

Looks like WA already 'backtracked' and are saying it's more to do with WA business accounts.

They won’t lose customers for personal data that they likely already have via other SM platforms. Facebook knows more about you and your personal preferences than WhatsApp would. Something here doesn’t add up.

Their whole value is in the size of their user base, as defined in Metcalfes Law.

Cut ties with social media completely. No more instatwitterbook for me.

I have a dummy facebook account that i use for work purposes.

I dropped it not because of privacy concerns but because life is out there and not inside my phone. (must leave hub. At least two **** will be happy with that)

As for my data. No product is free. You pay for everything. The movie Needful Things comes to mind.

Just use iMessage. Similar functionality and nobody is monetising your data full stop

As a matter of interest is iMessage available (officially) on Android?

It will be interesting to see how (if) they monetize it.

It will be monetized, personal data and spending habits is the new gold.

The amount of info they are gathering is quite substantial, but this declaration is just to keep it above board, they have been collecting that info for a while already.

The founders of Whatsapp left a while ago when they saw it happening.