Stolen: Specialized Epic 2019 (Stellenbosch)

Malin Sanne

Eish, hope you get it back.

Was it chained to your bike carrier? How long was it left unattended for?

Sorry for your loss, hope you get it back.

I'll reserve my comments about what I think about leaving a bike unattended on a bike rack especially in Skelmbosch!!!

It was not unattended, we were sitting right next to the car. They managed to distract us enough to get it.

Eish, hope you get it back.

Was it chained to your bike carrier? How long was it left unattended for?

It was not chained, just locked with the grip lock. Which obviously doesn't work.

Are you referring to the locking (or regular) Thule grips?

Must be frustrating, hope you get your Speed back or at least have insurance cover the cost of a replacement (which we all know never happens – certainly not the full cost of one).  :huh:

• 4 weeks later...

Are you referring to the locking (or regular) Thule grips?

Must be frustrating, hope you get your Speed back or at least have insurance cover the cost of a replacement (which we all know never happens – certainly not the full cost of one).  :huh:

I was considering a Thule rack, please advise the best way to lock if the normal locking device is useless? 

Sorry to OP for the loss. 

I was considering a Thule rack, please advise the best way to lock if the normal locking device is useless?

Nothing wrong with Thule rack .

The locking system is not for security , just to secure bike during transit

Cable or chain wrapper through both rims, the bike frame and the Thule rack ...

Nothing a bolt cutter cant get through ... :(

Point being, locking helps for opportunitic thiefs. Wont help for the career thiefs ....

Only reason for locking ... most insurance companies require "signs of forced removal".

Nothing wrong with Thule rack .

The locking system is not for security , just to secure bike during transit

Exactly what I found out the hard way today. I had a narrow escape when a guy snuck in behind my car unseen and pulled the Thule clamp off my frame. Locked or not they can definitely be forced off.

I pulled away from the robot and by the time i noticed my bike wasn’t there it was already dragging behind the car.

I was fortunate to get away without my bike being taken. Just the bar and grip needs to be replaced.

Crime in this country is rife and the criminals are smarter than the professors.

I’m adding additional straps to keep clamps on the frame and a solid lock through the frames to attach to the rack.