Green Routes Red Barn Over Weekends

Bundu Ric

Hi all, 

Hope everyone is well?

How busy are the green routes at Red Barn Pretoria over the weekends?

Need to get the wife going but looking for something easy and not to busy to start building her riding confidence. 

Also open to other suggestions. 

As per normal, she is new to riding, only done 2 rides to date in the estate. We live in Centurion, so I was thinking Red Barn or Nothern Farm but as I said, open to suggestions. 

Thanks

The one you are looking for at Red Barn is Route 3. 12km and not technical at all. Mostly singletrack. 

The routes aren't too busy over weekends to be honest. Route 3 and 4 are mostly new riders and families riding. An early start of around 7:00 would be pretty good. I would imagine the 12km will take you around 1:15 to 1:30 if you take is super easy. 

Sending you a PM. I might have a good solution for you. 

Thanks for the feedback, 

Is this a loop or can we turn around at anytime as I am not comfortble that she will do 12k's yet and I need to ease here into the thing and stand back and throw chocolate when things get rough  :whistling:

The one you are looking for at Red Barn is Route 3. 12km and not technical at all. Mostly singletrack. 

The routes aren't too busy over weekends to be honest. Route 3 and 4 are mostly new riders and families riding. An early start of around 7:00 would be pretty good. I would imagine the 12km will take you around 1:15 to 1:30 if you take is super easy. 

Sending you a PM. I might have a good solution for you. 

Thanks for the feedback, 

Is this a loop or can we turn around at anytime as I am not comfortble that she will do 12k's yet and I need to ease here into the thing and stand back and throw chocolate when things get rough  :whistling:

The 12km is a loop with at least one escape route that takes you back to the barn. You also have the option to ride around the various dirt roads around the trails and then climb onto the 4km Route 4 even to just introduce her to the singletrack riding. 

Red Barn is a great way for your wife to develop the love for MTB'ing! When my wife started out (we also stayed in the Centurion/Midstream area) we alternated between Red barn, Rietvlei Zoo Farm (slightly further out but awesome) as well as Northern farms - the combination worked really well for her.

I would not suggest Red barn for a beginner - those routes can go from very mild to very technical very quickly

Why not try Huddlepark - flat maintained trails - few berms - nice trails for practicing on.

Also northern farms you can stay on the jeep tracks and try some of the tamer single track

I would not suggest Red barn for a beginner - those routes can go from very mild to very technical very quickly

I agree on that but if you stick to 3 and 4 you don't encounter anything technical. 

I've taken a few very new riders on the 3 and 4 with no issues. Including my 10 year old niece. 

2 and 1 is where you pick up the more tech trails. 

Northern Farm for the win, my wife is a beginner mtb'er and she really enjoys the green route at NF (also around 12km), we have started adding a bit more technical riding lately, but take it very slow.

Hi..Northern farms green route would also be suitable. Its 12.6km long wuth nice wide dirt road all the way...i found with my wife was that single track to a new rider can be intimidating. Especially if its slightly rutted...i tends to grab front wheel and throws you off course....just m2c

Go to big red barn. Its the prettiest and will make almost anyone fall in love with mountain biking instantly.

Cowhouse is easy and flat. There are some bridges, which newcomers might find intimidating. It is also a working farm, so your chances of riding into a herd of cows is pretty big. But it's a bunch of very friendly milk cows. Might be a bit out of your way if you are driving from Centurion. 

I am planning to start checking these all out in the next couple of weekends and then decide on best option for her to get going. 

Next 2 weekends taken up by some family commitments but then the journey starts. 

There has been some really great suggestions and options, much appreciated. 

Go to big red barn. Its the prettiest and will make almost anyone fall in love with mountain biking instantly.

Cowhouse is easy and flat. There are some bridges, which newcomers might find intimidating. It is also a working farm, so your chances of riding into a herd of cows is pretty big. But it's a bunch of very friendly milk cows. Might be a bit out of your way if you are driving from Centurion. 

Especially the last couple of kms going through all the trees and forest bits. 

It really is pretty at the moment. Green grass and flowers everywhere.