Value Beginner MTB Help [~R5k]

toptoobnoob

Hi Hubbers!

I recently taught a friend to ride a bike (after pestering him for years) and he's now got the bug. He wants to get a bike and I want to make sure he gets some value on the cheaper end of the spectrum. He would likely need a medium frame (1.75m, 95kg). I think a MTB is the most versatile for general cycling and (probable) lack of maintenance on his side. We are in Cape Town.

- New versus used? I assume the value is in the used but there don't seem to be too many options.

- Where's the sweet spot? He wants to spend 3k-5k but will stretch up to 7k if the value is there.

- Anything else I should note?

Thanks for helping me get another riding buddy :).

Hi Hubbers!

I recently taught a friend to ride a bike (after pestering him for years) and he's now got the bug. He wants to get a bike and I want to make sure he gets some value on the cheaper end of the spectrum. He would likely need a medium frame (1.75m, 95kg). I think a MTB is the most versatile for general cycling and (probable) lack of maintenance on his side. We are in Cape Town.

- New versus used? I assume the value is in the used but there don't seem to be too many options.

- Where's the sweet spot? He wants to spend 3k-5k but will stretch up to 7k if the value is there.

- Anything else I should note?

Thanks for helping me get another riding buddy :).

For 5k you mostly going to get crap.  Would probably get a very decent 26" but I suggest rather aiming for at least 27.5 or better yet 29".

If possible rather start looking at bikes advertised at R7 to 8k, and then negotiate the price down.

Look through these to see if there is anything he like then we can assist from there as to what would be the better choices:

https://bikehub.co.za/classifieds/c/hardtail-mountain-bikes?meta_discipline%5Bis_multi_select%5D=true&meta_discipline%5Bvalue%5D=Mountain+Bike&minimum_price=6000&maximum_price=8000&meta_size%5Bis_multi_select%5D=true&meta_size%5Bvalue%5D=M%2CL&meta_wheel_size%5Bis_multi_select%5D=true&meta_wheel_size%5Bvalue%5D=29%22

At the given budget, Aluminum hardtails is what you mostly looking for.

Edited by TheoG

R5k is a tough budget for something decent.

Try looking for specialized rockhopper or silverback sola 1, sola 2, sola 4.

Giant Talon

Momsen al series

Will all most likely have coil forks though, try to aim for air fork but will be tough search.

Edited by MajG

Look cool, to bad I cant find anything for sale or out of stock ???

Bikemarket usually stocks them and crown cycles in CPT

Bikemarket shows no stock and Crown Cycles website is useless.  Since the OP is from there maybe he can try them per phone.

Bikemarket shows no stock and Crown Cycles website is useless. Since the OP is from there maybe he can try them per phone.

Best to call crown cycles

I missed the ideal beginner's mountain bike this week-end for sale on the hub, at a very good price. (Giant Anthem 29)

Was in good nick, and excellently maintained too. (ex-Geddan Ruddock)

18%202011%20Giant%20Anthem%20X%2029er.jp

Edited by silversonic

Thanks for the help everyone :).

For 5k you mostly going to get crap.  Would probably get a very decent 26" but I suggest rather aiming for at least 27.5 or better yet 29".

If possible rather start looking at bikes advertised at R7 to 8k, and then negotiate the price down.

Look through these to see if there is anything he like then we can assist from there as to what would be the better choices:

https://bikehub.co.za/classifieds/c/hardtail-mountain-bikes?meta_discipline%5Bis_multi_select%5D=true&meta_discipline%5Bvalue%5D=Mountain+Bike&minimum_price=6000&maximum_price=8000&meta_size%5Bis_multi_select%5D=true&meta_size%5Bvalue%5D=M%2CL&meta_wheel_size%5Bis_multi_select%5D=true&meta_wheel_size%5Bvalue%5D=29%22

At the given budget, Aluminum hardtails is what you mostly looking for.

Search, Signal bikes.

Yeah I think we're leaning towards a 29er. Think the budget has been stretched to 7k for the new option (he likes the idea of a local warranty). The Signal bikes look like a good value and happy to support local, so that's an option.

Bikemarket shows no stock and Crown Cycles website is useless.  Since the OP is from there maybe he can try them per phone.

Best to call crown cycles

Had a chat with the Crown Cycles guys and some shipments are arriving over the next few weeks/months depending on the model.

I missed the ideal beginner's mountain bike this week-end for sale on the hub, at a very good price. (Giant Anthem 29)

Was in good nick, and excellently maintained too. (ex-Geddan Ruddock)

R5k is a tough budget for something decent.

Try looking for specialized rockhopper or silverback sola 1, sola 2, sola 4.
Giant Talon
Momsen al series
Will all most likely have coil forks though, try to aim for air fork but will be tough search.

That Anthem looks great. I may have to keep an eye on those classifieds for some of these options :eek:.