Trails Riding Wrong way

rorydewet

This and the fact that 90% of Gauteng twisties are just winding trails to increase distance because they don't have enough land to make trails on without making it look like chundered spaghetti.

Go ride somewhere like Karkloof or boven, the trails have a purpose and move in a direction and traverse an area or utilize a feature. The twisty bits are when it is steep or there is an obstacle to negotiate. In GP it is we have 5ha, lets squeeze 40km onto it somehow. 

Red Barn comes to mind. I know many here love those trails, but I felt like I had just spent an hour in a tumble dryer after riding there. 

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Red Barn comes to mind. I know many here love those trails, but I felt like I had just spent an hour in a tumble dryer after riding there. 

Solution is to act like its a single speed "race". Have a few beers beforehand and then 5 tequila shots during the loop. As a non drinker I experienced Red Barn this way during the 2019 Singlespeed "Champs".

This is a big annoyance on the trail and very dangerous as mentioned many times above. 

It's extremely frustrating when you're bombing down your favorite trace only to be met with obstacle you were not expecting, or pushing your uphill segment, giving it all you got,  only to have to slam on breaks to avoid the minger breaking the rules of the trail. 

I find the Cradle MTB Loop have very few offenders in this regard, but I have to mention one guy I came across. On the back side of the Cradle, I see the guy about 100m ahead. I start preparing my statement for when we get close enough. "ONE WAY YOU A$$Hole" I am thinking should suffice, but before we get 40m apart, he stops, pulls his bike completely off the trail to give me complete right of way...

It's people like this who I love meeting on the trails, people who know their rights and the rights of others and respect both.

As I passed him, I gave him a polite nod and said "Thank you"

Side note, judging by his bike and kit, he was a middle aged, well experienced rider. 

I've mentioned this on here before.

We used to ride NF a lot - loved it there. I rarely had issues at all, but on one occasion a girlie came straight at us at us on the wrong side of a jeep track, riding beside her mates. We only just managed to squeeze past each other. I said something as she passed and got a rude responce. An hour later we came across her again, this time sitting in the grass surrounded by her buddies. She'd done the same to someone else and after a head-on with them had won herself a painful broken wrist.

Not quite the same thing, but at Heia Safari I would occasionally start crossing one of the two floating water bridges before noticing that there was someone standing/walking on it! They we're just enjoying themselves walking around though, not being assholes - and they always got off before I got to them. 

I have never experienced riders going the wrong way at Hennops or the Cradle MTB loop. However, if you want chaos with hikers go ride Cradle Moon, and you will also need to work very hard on anger management with the responses you get for cycling on your cycling route.

I recently got sort of lost on Avianto on my first ride there, luckily I was the only rider/person in the whole place as the weather was not great.

Sometimes the markings aren't great atcertain trails, but as stated, it is how those who are wrong handle the situation. Many of them have a **** you attitude about it, that is when things become heated and/or dangerous.

I have never experienced riders going the wrong way at Hennops or the Cradle MTB loop. However, if you want chaos with hikers go ride Cradle Moon, and you will also need to work very hard on anger management with the responses you get for cycling on your cycling route.

I love the way Hennops Trails have MTB, Running/Walking and 4x4 trails that never use the same track ( they do however cross each other, but are well marked at these intersections)

I recently got sort of lost on Avianto on my first ride there, luckily I was the only rider/person in the whole place as the weather was not great.

Sometimes the markings aren't great atcertain trails, but as stated, it is how those who are wrong handle the situation. Many of them have a **** you attitude about it, that is when things become heated and/or dangerous.

Like the guy in Cape Town who owns a bike shop but takes his trail running group up and down 'bike only' trails and gets aggressive if you say anything?  :ph34r:  :whistling:

I first want to apologize on my part for being guilty to some degree of this.

There has been a few occasions (very rarely though) when riding down a single track and you miss a feature or crash and you feel like you want to attempt it again. 

So instead of riding all the way down do the climb all over again, I do a quick walk up with bike and do a rerun.

Granted only a few meters to redo said feature or section but I am sure that on that one occasion when someone else was coming down and saw this they must have thought I am being such an a**hole for walking up the trail – I of course moved out the way and apologized.

So whenever I see someone standing on the side or walking up with their bike and gives way I just thank them because I have been there. 

But pedaling up your bike or walking the entire way up with the sense of entitlement  is just a no no.

Edited by YaseenEnos

I first want to apologize on my part for being guilty to some degree of this.

There has been a few occasions (very rarely though) when riding down a single track and you miss a feature or crash and you feel like you want to attempt it again. 

So instead of riding all the way down do the climb all over again, I do a quick walk up with bike and do a rerun.

Granted only a few meters to redo said feature or section but I am sure that on that one occasion when someone else was coming down and saw this they must have thought I am being such an a**hole for walking up the trail – I of course moved out the way and apologized.

So whenever I see someone standing on the side or walking up with their bike and gives way I just thank them because I have been there. 

But pedaling up your bike or walking the entire way up with the sense of entitlement  is just a no no.

Different situation, going back to re run a jump or a berm or whatever is not the end of the world.

If you stick to the edge, stay out the way and give the right direction riders right of way I see no issue. 

The issue is when people are racing along the wrong way ignorant or oblivious to the direction and are not actively looking for riders from ahead.

Sneaking 50m back to re hit a jump is fine IMO. You can do that safely and not hinder the regulars at all if done properly.

Had a guy at Red Barn ride back over the jumps to redo them again so his girlfriend could take more photos of him jumping. 

Said jumps are on a fairly fast bit and there is a perfectly suitable path next to it that he could have ridden back on. 

When confronted he just spat out a "so what" comment. Some people shouldn't have made it past the tip of a condom.

Well, in reality you guys should be thanking these guys.

Without them, aggressive drivers and people who sell things without knowing exactly what they are to moan about, what would you guys do all day?

Well, in reality you guys should be thanking these guys.

Without them, aggressive drivers and people who sell things without knowing exactly what they are to moan about, what would you guys do all day?

Some may actually get out and ride [emoji12]