Cannondale Super Six carbon (2015) versus Merida Scultura 4000 (2016)

Amber Goldberg

Hello all, I am looking at investing in a road bike with the idea to use it for the next decade, at least. I am weighing up two options, the Cannondale super six carbon (2015), 10-speed, which has american classic wheels, easton carbon handle bars and comes with a left-crank watt meter... compared to a Merida Scultura 4000 (2016), 11-speed, which has upgrades of campagnolo chorus parts. The Merida is about R3000 cheaper, when comparing both bikes as is. Any advice? I am waiting to hear whether a 52/36 crankset can fit the Merida, otherwise it will come with compact crank. Cannondale has a 52/36 already. Both bikes are second hand 

Hi. Welcome to Bikehub

My heart will go with the Cannondale (because I am a Cannondale and America Classic fan), but both bikes will serve you equally well.

Yes, you can fit a 52/36 to the Merida, but how easy it will be to get a Campagnolo compatible one I don't know.

Both are very decent bikes, the Merida however (Campagnolo) will cost a lot more to maintain longterm.

Cannondale has a power-meter fitted and comes ready to ride, a 10-speed being perfectly adequate.

^^ 100%

Another factor to consider is that the Cannondale is very tight in the rear chainstays clearance with a Continental 25C tyre. You may be limited for tyre choice to 23C or Some 24C tyres which in South Africa is a strong driving force to obsolescence. 

You don't mention which 10spd groupset is on the Cannondale, but I would assume it is not Campag.

My very humble opinion would be to go with the Cannondale, I am not well versed in Campag speak or maintenance and would stick with Shimano or SRAM for ease of replacement as mentioned.  Power meter is a very nice to have and the Super Six is more pretty than the Merida (my opinion).

^^ 100%

Another factor to consider is that the Cannondale is very tight in the rear chainstays clearance with a Continental 25C tyre. You may be limited for tyre choice to 23C or Some 24C tyres which in South Africa is a strong driving force to obsolescence. 

But didn't know this, definitely something to take into account.

IIRC, American Classic is no more, so spares etc may be an issue

not really there/s plenty of spares available even for older wheels. CCS can likely still service the brand for maybe 3 more years depending on parts demand. They recently fixed an old Victory 30 for me

I've been riding a 2015/2016 Supersix Evo Black for the last 4 years with 25C Gatorskin tyres without the slightest concern about clearance. Go with the 'Dale

^^ 100%