How to keep dog from running out gate

The Ouzo

We have a border Collie  that we adopted as a pup a few years back.

Its a dog for the kids and the wife, so I left it to them to train. They never really got him to walk on a leash, so he never left the property. The great thing with that is you could leave the gate open and he would not step a foot outside.

Then during lockdown I got the  bright idea to teach him to walk on a leash and we then started taking him for walks. He now realised that there is a bigger world out there than just the property he is confined to, the result being that now when you open the gate he bolts out.

One of the reasons we got him was for early warning security when someone enters the property, thus he has free access to run all the way around the house, and I dont really want to change that. So we are locking him in the courtyard when we need to open the gate.

I've had enough of chasing him around the neighborhood, clearly I'm not the Alpha male I think I am because he just ignores me when I call him.

So what suggestions for stopping him from running out?

A quick google on electric shock collars puts them way out of my price range.

Your best bet will be to look into recall training. Being able to call him back immediately when he runs is the only way out. If that doesn't work you are bound by a life of micro managing the situation.

I have two dogs who dart when they get the chance and one of them is child aggressive (long story of children teasing her with sticks and whistles through the gate while we were at work). The other one would naturally follow and climb in as well. They are both power breeds so a child stands no chance. 

Can't take the risk of them getting out ever so when the gate is opened they are both kept in the house. 

PS. Shock collars are not the answer. They don't work. 

Its a dog for the kids and the wife, so I left it to them to train. They never really got him to walk on a leash, so he never left the property. The great thing with that is you could leave the gate open and he would not step a foot outside.

Then during lockdown I got the  bright idea to teach him to walk on a leash and we then started taking him for walks. He now realised that there is a bigger world out there than just the property he is confined to, the result being that now when you open the gate he bolts out.

One of the reasons we got him was for early warning security when someone enters the property, thus he has free access to run all the way around the house, and I dont really want to change that. So we are locking him in the courtyard when we need to open the gate.

I've had enough of chasing him around the neighborhood, clearly I'm not the Alpha male I think I am because he just ignores me when I call him.

:eek:

Border Collies are insanely intelligent. You can train this behaviour without violence in a couple of days.

I'f you're not sure, there's plenty of videos, or let me know, the head of Border Collie Rescue lives in Atlasville, I'll PM you her details and she'll gladly help you.

Don't put a shock collar on that dog, you'll break it's spirit.

Edit: I've worked with several dogs from BCR over the last decade or more, and our current model we got from them just over a year ago.

Edited by TNT1

Where are you lucky enough to be living so you don't have to close gates!? 

I have 3 and another 3 mixes...they don't bolt out...they do want to go out and say hello to whoever is driving in....It doesn't take much to teach a BC...both good AND bad...Beenos are also your friend...

I should add my gates are always shut and to be honest to make my life easier I leave the dogs inside when someone comes and I have to open up...

Edited by Mojoman

:eek:

Border Collies are insanely intelligent. You can train this behaviour without violence in a couple of days.

I'f you're not sure, there's plenty of videos, or let me know, the head of Border Collie Rescue lives in Atlasville, I'll PM you her details and she'll gladly help you.

Don't put a shock collar on that dog, you'll break it's spirit.

Edit: I've worked with several dogs from BCR over the last decade or more, and our current model we got from them just over a year ago.

Thanks I'll google the videos

The shock collar and the option of giving it away shows my level of frustration. 

Where are you lucky enough to be living so you dont have to close gates!? 

I have 3 and another 3 mixes...they dont bolt out...they do want to go out and say hello to whoever is driving in....It doesn't take much to teach a BC...both good AND bad...Beenos are also your friend...

gates need to be opened to get cars/bikes/lawnmowers in and out.

Sometimes, like saturday, buttons on remotes are pushed by accident.

Thanks I'll google the videos

The shock collar and the option of giving it away shows my level of frustration. 

Shock collar is truly no answer, rather keep them for children....

If you don't come right with videos then there are trainers who will come to your house to help but  as suggested BRC is really great. If not BRC then have a look at Louise Thompson at Paws Abilities who will assist with training with no harsh methods. 

Agree on the shock collar. Would you put one around your balls for every time you go to the cookie jar?

If I did, I maybe wouldn't be so fat :)

haha but agree, would not put a shock collar on any animal.

close your gate?

dont worry... i know your pain..our dogs used to always run outside our gates in SA when we were entering (not when we were exiting for some reason). Luckily we were in a pan handle so they would have to venture down the driveway to get to the road...but thee were days where I was hundreds of metres down the road getting the dogs in while they sniffed and poked around in the shrubbery.

The panhandle made it not so much of an issue (in fact...all of our houses were either in a panhandle or in an estate - so it never really mattered) - so i never investigated it further

close your gate?

dont worry... i know your pain..our dogs used to always run outside our gates in SA when we were entering (not when we were exiting for some reason). Luckily we were in a pan handle so they would have to venture down the driveway to get to the road...but thee were days where I was hundreds of metres down the road getting the dogs in while they sniffed and poked around in the shrubbery.

The panhandle made it not so much of an issue (in fact...all of our houses were either in a panhandle or in an estate - so it never really mattered) - so i never investigated it further

I have the fastest domestic use gate motor on the market, its not fast enough. :)

If he stayed in our street (we live in a cul-de-sac) it would not be such a big issue as I'm sure once he had sniffed and marked territory he would eventually come back, but he runs and we are one street away from one of the busiest roads in boksburg.

Last year my wife phoned me crying, it was the first time he decided to bolt.

She opened the gate to go fetch the kids from school and off he went, she followed him onto the main road where he proceeded to run through the traffic.

How he never got hit before a woman on the opposite side decided to stop her car, get out and hold him we dont know.

I've got to must to say here that'll be impolite so I'll rather guard my tongue. Educate yourself on Border Collies, they aren't made to be closed in yard without lots of regular exerices. It helps them get rid of frustration as they are working dogs. It's equates to locking a hyperactive kid in a room.

I've got to must to say here that'll be impolite so I'll rather guard my tongue. Educate yourself on Border Collies, they aren't made to be closed in yard without lots of regular exerices. It helps them get rid of frustration as they are working dogs. It's equates to locking a hyperactive kid in a room.

he has plenty of space to run around, he has the entire yard all the way around the house. Its not a small yard either. 

He gets plenty exercise, his favourite game with the kids is to sprint around the house getting as close to them as possible as he runs past.

my initial post might seem like I'm harsh or abusive to the dog, but that is just my current level of frustration coming though. I would not have asked for help on here if I was.

I have a boerboel pup around 10months old, so not close to a BC, but I taught him to stay with food and treats.

I'd put a cookie or his food bowl down in front of him and kneeled behind it holding him at bay till he caught onto the word.

After that I'd open our small gate and stand directly outside it and tell him to stay while walking further and further away. I also made use of the clicker and a ton of treats while training him, so he learnt the stay thing in about a month or so.

Now I can leave the yard and he'll stay inside, occasionally he'll step outside, but only to see where I am, or he'll follow me to our garage which is just outside my garden fence, but the same boundary applies to him.

The key thing is patience.

he has plenty of space to run around, he has the entire yard all the way around the house. Its not a small yard either. 

He gets plenty exercise, his favourite game with the kids is to sprint around the house getting as close to them as possible as he runs past.

my initial post might seem like I'm harsh or abusive to the dog, but that is just my current level of frustration coming though. I would not have asked for help on here if I was.

But do you actually ever walk the dog?

Train your dog to walk properly and he'll most likely end up well behaved. If he's not used to being outside, it's obviously new and exciting for him to run around outside. The more intelligent and active an animal is, the more stimulation it'll require. You also need to be creative, come up with new games etc.

We've had a number of Jack Russels over the years, and all of them were well behaved, no chewing, digging holes, pissing everywhere etc. 

Spend time with your animal, and learn what it needs.