Thule EasyFold XT2

mikkelz

Hi all

TGIF!

I'm looking to buy a towbar mounted bike rack (seems to be the overwhelming preference) and have been checking out the Thule EasyFold XT2. It's fairly pricey at R17999.

Has anyone got one and would recommend it?

I'm a little confused at all the various options in their range: VeloSpace, VeloCompact, EuroRide, etc.

• I need to carry max two mountain bikes (alu), or 1 road bike (carbon).
  • The platform rack seems to be popular.
  • The tilt feature is nice to access the boot
  • I have a 13 pin connector on my two bar (but I see you can get 7 pin and vice versa).

Other than that, I don't know much more about towbar bike racks.

Thanks in advance for any input and/or suggestions!

Following. I’m in the market for one of these as well.

How far does the tilt go down? My rear door opens sideways and my current rack renders it useless.

I’m ok with the price. Some people commented in the past that you need to contact your local Volvo dealer and check pricing. Made by Thule but also cheaper?

How far does the tilt go down? My rear door opens sideways and my current rack renders it useless.

I’m ok with the price. Some people commented in the past that you need to contact your local Volvo dealer and check pricing. Made by Thule but also cheaper?

Maybe 60 degrees rough guess from my euroway

I tried to price one for a mate in November, we could not get the EasyFolds at Volvo

Maybe 60 degrees rough guess from my euroway

Thank you. 

Would be great to access at least some of my boot from the outside instead of going in through the rear seats.

Thule on web has a handy tool where you put in requirements and its gives you list of racks.

Based on

2 bikes

tilt able

platform on tow bar

you get the following

easyfold xt2

euroride 2

rideon 2

i have the thule velo compact. Out the box its a 3 bike rack. However we ride as a family so I have fitted it with the optional extra that allows you to mount 4 bikes.

Its easy its useful its awesome.

Its also tilts and its about 60 degree tilt.

Just dont trust the Thule locks on the rack.

We always add an additional strap around all the bikes plus a cable lock.

Never leave bikes on rack unattended or parked.

The cable lock is so you cant get ripped off while stationary at a robot.

Edited by rorydewet

I tried to price one for a mate in November, we could not get the EasyFolds at Volvo

Thanks so much. I believe we have that mutual contact at that one specific Volvo dealer. He was going to price one for me. 

Hi all

TGIF!

I'm looking to buy a towbar mounted bike rack (seems to be the overwhelming preference) and have been checking out the Thule EasyFold XT2. It's fairly pricey at R17999.

Has anyone got one and would recommend it?

I'm a little confused at all the various options in their range: VeloSpace, VeloCompact, EuroRide, etc.

• I need to carry max two mountain bikes (alu), or 1 road bike (carbon).
  • The platform rack seems to be popular.
  • The tilt feature is nice to access the boot
  • I have a 13 pin connector on my two bar (but I see you can get 7 pin and vice versa).

Other than that, I don't know much more about towbar bike racks.

Thanks in advance for any input and/or suggestions!

I have the XT3, 3 bike version, and even though it cost a packet I have no regrets. This style folds up into the smallest footprint of the Thules (essential so I can fill the garage with other clutter and bikes). It also folds up into a package I can chuck in the book of my car so I can drive to a holiday apartment block with limited garaging space, park in the basement, unload the bikes, chuck the rack in the boot.

It's well made, nothing has fallen off in the 3 years I have had it. My version was supplied by the local agents (Aus) with multiple adaptors for the electrical connector.

It is one of the heavier Thules, but it has little wheels, so when moving it around you don't need to physically carry it.

Like with most 3 bike platform racks with the locating arms, threading some of them through the frames to get to the rearmost bikes is a bit of a mission in planning and 3D visualisation, but I have always gotten them to work first time without unloading and starting again. With only 2 bikes, you should have it easier.

However, if these things last forever like they should,  maybe think ahead if you may need to transport a 3rd bike and just invest in the larger one now?

The Thule locks would probably deter a 4 year old at most, so keep that in mind. Also, remember to lock your towbar to the car hitch as well, otherwise that becomes the weakest link.

The tilt is enough for a boot lid to open - VERY handy !

The SA standard for two bar lights are 7 pin connectors.

The spacing of the Thule, and many other brands, between bikes are for road bikes .... becomes interesting to fit two MTB with overlapping handlebars ... thus we opted for a three bike unit, for two MTB's. Also handy for the odd occation we carry a friends bike.

Biggest issue is to limit theft of bikes from these units .... :(

Another to check ... positon of exhaust pipes vs tires .... on some vehicles the exhaust gasses damage the tires .. very rare, and normally easy to address.

Enjoy

I have the XT3, 3 bike version, and even though it cost a packet I have no regrets. This style folds up into the smallest footprint of the Thules (essential so I can fill the garage with other clutter and bikes). It also folds up into a package I can chuck in the book of my car so I can drive to a holiday apartment block with limited garaging space, park in the basement, unload the bikes, chuck the rack in the boot.

It's well made, nothing has fallen off in the 3 years I have had it. My version was supplied by the local agents (Aus) with multiple adaptors for the electrical connector.

It is one of the heavier Thules, but it has little wheels, so when moving it around you don't need to physically carry it.

Like with most 3 bike platform racks with the locating arms, threading some of them through the frames to get to the rearmost bikes is a bit of a mission in planning and 3D visualisation, but I have always gotten them to work first time without unloading and starting again. With only 2 bikes, you should have it easier.

However, if these things last forever like they should,  maybe think ahead if you may need to transport a 3rd bike and just invest in the larger one now?

The Thule locks would probably deter a 4 year old at most, so keep that in mind. Also, remember to lock your towbar to the car hitch as well, otherwise that becomes the weakest link.

I also have the 3 bike XT3. Can not fault it one bit and agree with the above.

Have fitted 1 x XL and 2 x L mtb's on it without issues. A bit of a 'mik and druk' but it's a lot more spacious than any other thule rack I have seen or used.

Wheels to drag it to the car also makes it easy.

Will have to check on the tilt and clearance. It does tilt quite far down.

**Edit: Spelling**

Edited by NicoR

post-22685-0-76052900-1610695379_thumb.jpeg

Seems to handle 2 mountain bikes pretty well. Getting the saddles out of the way will be easy with dropper posts. 

I just want a rack that doesn't weight a metric ton and bounce around behind my car like my current one does. 

The price is very reasonable considering it is less that 10% of the value of what sits on top of it. 

attachicon.gifThule-Easy-Fold.026.jpeg

Seems to handle 2 mountain bikes pretty well. Getting the saddles out of the way will be easy with dropper posts. 

I just want a rack that doesn't weight a metric ton and bounce around behind my car like my current one does. 

The price is very reasonable considering it is less that 10% of the value of what sits on top of it. 

Yes, as soon as the seat posts are out the way it is a breeze to load.

Yes, as soon as the seat posts are out the way it is a breeze to load.

More questions. 

For bigger tires like 2.3 to 2.6 does the "footbed" of the rack comfortably fit these sizes? Current rack doesn't and as a result my front wheel twists as soon as I exceed 100km/h

How stable is the rack while in motion? My current rack bounces a little when the route gets rough. 

More questions. 

For bigger tires like 2.3 to 2.6 does the "footbed" of the rack comfortably fit these sizes? Current rack doesn't and as a result my front wheel twists as soon as I exceed 100km/h

How stable is the rack while in motion? My current rack bounces a little when the route gets rough. 

Enough space in footbed and very sturdy ratchet straps. I am running 2.3 on my MTB and it slots in with room to spare. It actually have grooves for different size tyres. Road bike will fit in the inner grove and a wider tyre will fit in a wider grove and just on top of the narrow grove. I think Thule markets them as fat bike ready.

It is very sturdy at the back of the car. It comes with a adjuster on the ball clamp to get it as tight as possible and can fit different size tow bars.

There is no play on the tilt attachments. Once locked in it is locked in!

Edited by NicoR