Clearing an MTB path up Constantia Nek

I would just like to thank whoever has cleared and repaired the MTB path up Constantia Nek. it is on the shoulder of the road and the path has been swept, vegetation cut back and laterite placed on rutted areas.

I have ridden the path since I have lived in Hout Bay. It is a safe way to join the trails on the other side of the Nek, if you don't want to ride pipetrack.

Does anyone know who is doing the work?

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I too live in Hout Bay, so will check it out, but that IS good news.

Please educate me on what Leterite is?

Cheers

Chris

Hi

Is this on the Hout Bay side or Constantia side of the Nek?

Hout Bay side.

Laterite is that clay rich, gravelly red dirt they use to build trails with.

Edited by Alouette3

I too live in Hout Bay, so will check it out, but that IS good news.

Please educate me on what Leterite is?

Cheers

Chris

There are a few guys (just a few) around who grab a spade and/or saw and do some maintenance.

Most riders do just that "ride" - too much effort to get off the bike but all trails need some tlc sometimes.

Edited by porqui

So I once rode up to Constantia Nek from Hout Bay (some few years back) then vowed NEVER to do that again...

If I do my "Atlantic Loop" I drive to Hout Bay and park and ride from there to avoid the climb up to the Nek...(if fact, truth be told, I have stopped at the Hout Bay Mayor's Air BNB and begged for a lift back up on one occasion).

So then this thread popped up and I though OK lets give it a go!....

So from the river turn to the World of Birds all the way up to the Nek roundabout, my rubber never met the tar once...I say whoever has done the hard work of clearing a safe route up this treacherous climb has saved lives and opened up a now complete closed cycle route for those armed with MTB and gravel bikes....a heartfelt thanks!!! :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

So I once rode up to Constantia Nek from Hout Bay (some few years back) then vowed NEVER to do that again...

If I do my "Atlantic Loop" I drive to Hout Bay and park and ride from there to avoid the climb up to the Nek...(if fact, truth be told, I have stopped at the Hout Bay Mayor's Air BNB and begged for a lift back up on one occasion).

So from the river turn to the World of Birds all the way up to the Nek roundabout, my rubber never met the tar once...I say whoever has done the hard work of clearing a safe route up this treacherous climb has saved lives and opened up a now complete closed cycle route for those armed with MTB and gravel bikes....a heartfelt thanks!!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

And I'm sure many runners too

My guess would be Table Mountain Bikers, seems like some initial work has also been done on the Ruyterplaats Estate link and a TMB request for trail support small notice has been placed.

Love the way they/ Rob just get stuff done on the Table Mountain trails north of Constantia Nek.

If you aren't a member or haven't contributed they are really worth giving some cash to. 

My guess would be Table Mountain Bikers, seems like some initial work has also been done on the Ruyterplaats Estate link and a TMB request for trail support small notice has been placed.

Love the way they/ Rob just get stuff done on the Table Mountain trails north of Constantia Nek.

If you aren't a member or haven't contributed they are really worth giving some cash to.

Completely agree with this. Also worth mentioning the insane work done on 12 Waffles last year too. One of these days we can ride around the mountain with little or no tar ????

So from the river turn to the World of Birds all the way up to the Nek roundabout, my rubber never met the tar once...I say whoever has done the hard work of clearing a safe route up this treacherous climb has saved lives and opened up a now complete closed cycle route for those armed with MTB and gravel bikes....a heartfelt thanks!!! :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

Where exactly does it start? I often find myself that side and opt to do the longer Camps Bay loop home as that road is too hectic to ride.

Where exactly does it start? I often find myself that side and opt to do the longer Camps Bay loop home as that road is too hectic to ride.

So I only got onto it at the Disa River Road intersection going up (I avoid the roundabout at the bottom of Hout Bay Road and rather ride up and down along Valley Road past the World of Birds and join up at Disa River Road)...it's pretty easy to spot, it's about 1m off to the side of the road, on the "shoulder", same side as traffic flow up the climb..ie on the left. 

Further down towards the traffic circle I have seen guys way off on a service road running parallel to Hout Bay Road but closer to the roudabout at the bottom, I'm not sure, its pretty tight down there....

So I only got onto it at the Disa River Road intersection going up (I avoid the roundabout at the bottom of Hout Bay Road and rather ride up and down along Valley Road past the World of Birds and join up at Disa River Road)...it's pretty easy to spot, it's about 1m off to the side of the road, on the "shoulder", same side as traffic flow up the climb..ie on the left. 

Further down towards the traffic circle I have seen guys way off on a service road running parallel to Hout Bay Road but closer to the roudabout at the bottom, I'm not sure, its pretty tight down there....

Thank you, will definitely give a go next time I am that side.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes you can do it on MTB or gravel bike.

There is a gravel road that runs above the tar road. If you cross the tar road at the bottom at Disa River road go right for a bit and then up Blue valley avenue till you hit Bay road. Take a left in Bay road. Bay road becomes gravel and spits you out right near the circle at the top of the neck

Sorry not sure how to insert a map here

Found my Strava link for that ride

https://www.strava.com/activities/3852155345

Edited by MTBeer