Stellenbosch Trails

Blackheart

Hi

Looking for info on the Stellenbosch trails.

Me and my bike can can pretty much tackle most things, (bike more than me) but prefer longer days out with some climbing challenges and flowing descents (me more than the bike) rather than full on DH or WC Enduro stuff.

I know Tokai and TM like the back of my hand, but know nothing about Stellenbosch area, and feel it's time to remedy that.

Can anyone advise on must do routes/trails/segments, linking up trails for a big day out, any safety concerns, spots to avoid etc, any local knowledge would be much appreciated.

Cheers.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There have been a few posts here with some good itineraries, but from my side, G-spot is great and can connect most of the trails around there. Eden was quite rough after lots of treefelling last time I went and not as enjoyable. Coetzenberg also connects. You can link up all those trails on that side of the mountain for a pretty good challenge, then there's Jonkershoek too. 

I love Mont Marie for the scenery, it is less rocky than Jonkers.

Jonkers is lekker, but it requires some skill. (It is home to the only 2 black "expert" lines in the Cape afaik.

Skyfall - beautiful st with lots of switchbacks

Helderberg farm - my home ground. Wider than Jonkers, faster sections than Jonkers

Boschendal ,banhoek, gspot, eden forest and jonkers are all next/close to each other

Good few 100km of trail im sure

Park at Tokara.  Ride 1.5km on the Helshoogte road towards Stellenbosch.  Just before the armco barrier starts, turn left onto some single track.  Serious climb up towards Botmaskop - At some point you should find a sign saying you are entering the Banhoek conservancy - there should be a Zapper barcode to pay the fee.

Keep going and you will get to Skyfall.  After this work your way along the Banhoek river until you get to a concrete bridge,  Cross over and you will get to the Nik Naks trails on the right.  Ride these trails up and then down into Kylemore.

You can now either ride back up the Helshoogte road to Tokara, or if you want to ride all day, turn right on Helshoogte road, ride through Pniel and go to Boschendal.

There are actually a lot of options, so look at trailforks.com.

My suggestion would be start with a proper Jonkershoek ride and then go explore some of the other trails in our area.

1. Climb up with Irish, come down with Armageddon.

2. Take a left once you get to the bottom of Armageddon and ride the Circle Route to Bosluis, ride up Bosluis and hook a left to go up to the firehut, continue on the fireroad and take the first left to go up to Firehut to ride back down from there.

3. If you still have some legs left, climb back up with Irish, take a right when you get to the contour road and head up to the start of Red Phoenix to ride back down from there.

Edited by hansolo

Agree, first, go do Armageddon at Jonkers, then whatever else trail you feel you have the legs for (honestly I haven't done everything there but I could ride Armageddon all day, not a fan of Red Phenix, I must go have a look at Fire Hut and maybe do the lower parts of Iron Monkey, not excited to attempt the plumber on the XC bike) !

Gspot/Eden is also very fun to ride.

Banhoek is next on my list

Boschendal I did the black loop this weekend, it's different, nice adventure in the mountains but nothing challenging at all (I missed Bull & chicken I thought I'd find my way back to it after doing inferno but couldn't)

EDIT: 

I'm definitely going back for that bull trail :D Edited by Jbr

Agree, first, go do Armageddon at Jonkers, then whatever else trail you feel you have the legs for (honestly I haven't done everything there but I could ride Armageddon all day, not a fan of Red Phenix, I must go have a look at Fire Hut and maybe do the lower parts of Iron Monkey, not excited to attempt the plumber on the XC bike) !

Boschendal I did the black loop this weekend, it's different, nice adventure in the mountains but nothing challenging at all (I missed Bull & chicken I thought I'd find my way back to it after doing inferno but couldn't)

EDIT: 

I'm definitely going back for that bull trail :D

you accidentally missed the jumps at the bottom! ;)

Hi

Looking for info on the Stellenbosch trails.

I know Tokai and TM like the back of my hand, but know nothing about Stellenbosch area, and feel it's time to remedy that.

How so ???

Thanks to All who've replied, I really appreciate it.

Looks like I've got some exploring to do.

From a personal security point of view, I ride almost exclusively alone.

I don't worry at all in Tokai, and just keep wits about on TM. How are the Stellies trails?

I know bike theft is an issue there, but don't read much about bad encounters on the trails.

you accidentally missed the jumps at the bottom! ;)

That's not me haha, I just researched that trail on youtube last night to see what I missed on saturday morning. I actually found the commentary hilarious, that changes from the usual "yiiiiiiiiiiuuuuuuuu"...

Considering how slippery it was, I don't mind missing the rocks on that specific morning, but I'll definitely go back on a good day ;)

Edited by Jbr

I don't worry at all in Tokai, and just keep wits about on TM. How are the Stellies trails?

I know bike theft is an issue there, but don't read much about bad encounters on the trails.

Jonkershoek, Boschendal and I assume Banhoek are on closed land and you must pay to get in, so I'd assume they are 100% safe on a crime point of view.

G-spot / Eden is open to the public, but I wouldn't worry too much. The first time I rode there I had a bit of a stress when I rode accross a guy with a massive knife, but he smile and waved at me so I assumed he was probably collecting wood or some kind of plant... Haven't heard any story there and the trails can get quite busy with hikers/dog walkers and other MTBers so I assume it's pretty safe..

EDIT: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmHUSFDIhAU I'm definitely going back for that bull trail :D

This commentary is theeee best , as if I was riding with you lol

The only thing you have to fear on the trails are puffies and cobras!

Just stay away from Botmanskop if you are solo. Otherwise the rest I ride solo often without any issues.

The only thing you have to fear on the trails are puffies and cobras!

Just stay away from Botmanskop if you are solo. Otherwise the rest I ride solo often without any issues.

I was just about to type this. Botmaskop is the only place I wont ride alone. 

Of all the places listed, I think I've heard of the odd incident around G-Spot/Eden, and by that I mean literally 2 incidents that I'm aware of over 6 years in a wide open public area that sees LOTS of visitors. So I can't promise your safety, but can promise that the N2 from CT is more dangerous.