Stellenbosch Trails

Blackheart

Thanks to All who've replied, I really appreciate it.

Looks like I've got some exploring to do.

From a personal security point of view, I ride almost exclusively alone.

I don't worry at all in Tokai, and just keep wits about on TM. How are the Stellies trails?

I know bike theft is an issue there, but don't read much about bad encounters on the trails.

If you enjoy Tokai then Jonkers should be next in line.

Safe to ride security wise.

I would ride it with someone though just because it is better fun.

If you did fall when on your own it could be very lonely.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Jonkershoek is always great, single track on the fire hut (South) side of the valley are also great, though not as commonly ridden.

Then love doing G-spot over to Eden then on to Mont Marie, makes a loop with loads of great single track.

Stellenbosch is just very hot and dry this time of the year!

awesome, I think I was there october side. Nothing available to ride. Mont maree was also closed. So headed over to gspot.

Sorry to high-jack your discussion but anybody know if you can go around Steenbras dam (Gordonsbay area) and then cut across to the Kleinmond side without trespassing ? 

Highlands Road could possibly work for you. It starts just after Peregrine Farm Stall (be sure to grab a pie and apple juice) and goes al the way to the R44 close to Arabella. It's a public road and some of it is gravel.

Sorry to high-jack your discussion but anybody know if you can go around Steenbras dam (Gordonsbay area) and then cut across to the Kleinmond side without trespassing ? 

Getting to Peregrine is a problem. I am unable to find a route (besides the N2) from the Gordonsbay side. Will go and look at Tracks4Africa for a possible alternative route.

All the land around the dam is off limits. There are dirt roads that go from the gate at the top of Steenbras pass all along the dam to the top of Sir Lowry's pass, but no legal access.

Hey Blackheart

What did you end up riding? I wanted to post something pretty much exactly the same here and see you bat me to it, thanks! ;)

Checking trailforks it looks like going up botmaskop, across the traverse and into banhoek and back to stellies via skyfall and botmaskop again. Something like this with a bit more added to it: https://www.trailforks.com/routepopular/20707627/

Does anybody know if this route is accessible at the moment?

Thanks

Hey Blackheart

What did you end up riding? I wanted to post something pretty much exactly the same here and see you bat me to it, thanks! ;)

Checking trailforks it looks like going up botmaskop, across the traverse and into banhoek and back to stellies via skyfall and botmaskop again. Something like this with a bit more added to it: https://www.trailforks.com/routepopular/20707627/

Does anybody know if this route is accessible at the moment?

Thanks

It is, I did it a few weeks ago. Amazing route. Instead of skyfall I would suggest going a bit further along the traverse and doing Fynbos trail - much better! Just please do not do that route on your own. Botmaskop is well known as a danger area, lots of cyclists get their bikes re-appropriated there and in a violent manner. It's fine in a group of 2 or 3. Signage on Botmaskop also not amazing, so would be good if you can go with someone that knows the area.

It is, I did it a few weeks ago. Amazing route. Instead of skyfall I would suggest going a bit further along the traverse and doing Fynbos trail - much better! Just please do not do that route on your own. Botmaskop is well known as a danger area, lots of cyclists get their bikes re-appropriated there and in a violent manner. It's fine in a group of 2 or 3. Signage on Botmaskop also not amazing, so would be good if you can go with someone that knows the area.

Awesome info - thanks a lot. We are a group of three. I will speak to my mates and we decide we aren't keen to have our bikes reappropriated the we will probably go and check out jonkershoek or some of the other recommendations above.

Thanks again

On that note, any of you Jonkers locals with an update?

Can one say, ride Iron Monkey, Armageddon, Red Phoenix and Plumber currently? I know Status Qo has been shut.

I don't get a lot of time to travel then ride but after the week I've been having I need to relieve some stress and a big day out there might just do the trick.

Spinning a few Tokai loops is great fun but diversity with familiarity is the spice of life