Stellenbosch Trails

Blackheart

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On that note, any of you Jonkers locals with an update?

Can one say, ride Iron Monkey, Armageddon, Red Phoenix and Plumber currently? I know Status Qo has been shut.

I don't get a lot of time to travel then ride but after the week I've been having I need to relieve some stress and a big day out there might just do the trick.

Spinning a few Tokai loops is great fun but diversity with familiarity is the spice of life

Everything is open and running beautifully...

Even Status (well the bottom bit) is back open.

Yeah, everything you mentioned is open.

Everything is open and running beautifully...

Even Status (well the bottom bit) is back open.

Yeeeow....

Once I have finished up with the current shambles I shall venture!

• 4 weeks later...

I'm planning to go ride the banhoek trails this weekend, I've seen plenty of videos on instagram lately, the trails look amazing there. problem is I can't seem to find accurate information on Strava or Trailforks about the exact location. All I see is the hellsend compound and Boschendal ? I believe banhoek is more on the stellies side than the pniel side ? 

EDIT : maybe I'm looking at the wrong side of the road ? Is it opposite side as boschendal/vuurberg-hellsend?

EDIT2 : ok I have found my way, so looks like the betlehem gate is here (easy : banhoek MTB on google maps)

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Banhoek+Conservancy/@-33.9137682,18.9482947,928m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x1dcdb0374925e057:0x93621a4b3065a16a!8m2!3d-33.9159166!4d18.9527817

Then from here you climb and do afterburner and klipwerf : 

Any other suggestions of epic downhill singletracks that side ? I'm looking at doing a 3/4 hr ride ;)

Edited by Jbr

I'm planning to go ride the banhoek trails this weekend, I've seen plenty of videos on instagram lately, the trails look amazing there. problem is I can't seem to find accurate information on Strava or Trailforks about the exact location. All I see is the hellsend compound and Boschendal ? I believe banhoek is more on the stellies side than the pniel side ?

EDIT : maybe I'm looking at the wrong side of the road ? Is it opposite side as boschendal/vuurberg-hellsend?

EDIT2 : ok I have found my way, so looks like the betlehem gate is here (easy : banhoek MTB on google maps)

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Banhoek+Conservancy/@-33.9137682,18.9482947,928m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x1dcdb0374925e057:0x93621a4b3065a16a!8m2!3d-33.9159166!4d18.9527817

Then from here you climb and do afterburner and klipwerf : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovETjazWYK0

Any other suggestions of epic downhill singletracks that side ? I'm looking at doing a 3/4 hr ride ;)

Go over helshoogte, turn right into swart road, follow that road fot about a km maybe 2. Then you'll see on your left hand side.

Google maps take you directly there

Really enjoyed banhoek yesterday. Not the best signage but we somehow managed to make our way to the trails I wanted to do. We did Afterburn twice, the jumps are so perfectly built you can just clear them all from the first go no surprises. Only jump I had a bit more of a problem with is the gap at the end that I landed both time on the rear wheel, and a mate of mine also had the same.... maybe from pulling on the bars too much to make sure we clear it haha.

We also did Klipwerf at the top, went through the red side with the rock garden, it's nice but I think the blue side is probably more fun actually, looks like the red side makes you miss some of the flow and the second set of bridges...  next time I go I'll probably try the blue side.

Awesome addition to stellies though, and I haven't seen so many people on the trails in a long time, looks like it really is becoming the place to be !

• 2 months later...

Is the trails safe to ride alone?

Yes, it’s quite busy and not that many trails so if anything happens to you someone will see you.

Also access is controled so it should be a crime free area

Is the trails safe to ride alone?

Maritz and I rode various parts of the G Spot trails a few weeks back, our first time on these trails. Few random thoughts :

- Lots of riders on the trails.

- Very friendly crowd

- Trails are reasonably well marked .... though some of the markings are at or just after splits .... we had to stop and back track a few steps a few times. That said, most of these splits merge again, so not really an issue.

- Downhill sections .... stay wide awake !! Couple of small gap jumps, with no markings .... chicken runs "mostly" to the left .... a few to the right, even a zig-zag ....

- Second run was an absolute BLAST !! :)

- The up and down trails seems to cross at a few points .... dont turn up into a down run .... be aware of people blasting down that may cross near you ...

- Another group of first timers asked us if there were any water points .... not sure if there is any ....

We really enjoyed it :) :)

Safety ... certainly felt safe at all times

Maritz and I rode various parts of the G Spot trails a few weeks back, our first time on these trails. Few random thoughts :

- Lots of riders on the trails.

- Very friendly crowd

- Trails are reasonably well marked .... though some of the markings are at or just after splits .... we had to stop and back track a few steps a few times. That said, most of these splits merge again, so not really an issue.

- Downhill sections .... stay wide awake !! Couple of small gap jumps, with no markings .... chicken runs "mostly" to the left .... a few to the right, even a zig-zag ....

- Second run was an absolute BLAST !! :)

- The up and down trails seems to cross at a few points .... dont turn up into a down run .... be aware of people blasting down that may cross near you ...

- Another group of first timers asked us if there were any water points .... not sure if there is any ....

We really enjoyed it :) :)

Safety ... certainly felt safe at all times

Thanks

Hi everyone, I haven't ridden in Jonkershoek since 2014, from what I read here it still seems safe and decent to ride? Is the access control still the same as it used to be?

I had a look at the Banhoek Conservancy also, looks very nice and from what I gather also safe to ride?

Also, any recommendations on some of the wine farms to ride? As mentioned I haven't ridden in this area since 2014 so keen to find out whats up these days...

Cheers in advance!

Hi everyone, I haven't ridden in Jonkershoek since 2014, from what I read here it still seems safe and decent to ride? Is the access control still the same as it used to be?

I had a look at the Banhoek Conservancy also, looks very nice and from what I gather also safe to ride?

Also, any recommendations on some of the wine farms to ride? As mentioned I haven't ridden in this area since 2014 so keen to find out whats up these days...

Cheers in advance!

Jonkershoek is 100% safe to ride. It's a pity you couldn't come a few months ago before the fire that destroyed quite a bit of the trails and most of the vegetation. 

Even so, the builders are putting in an immense amount of work to fix the trails, and compared to 2014 you are still in for a very pleasant surprise!

The Wannebees club do rides in the vineyards on both sides of the R44 below Stellenrust Road during the week and weekends.

Look on their facebook or website for contact details. You would have to buy a day permit to ride with them.

Thanks for the replies thus far, I appreciate it. I might hit the trails either at Jonkershoek or Boschendal this weekend just to get back in to it...