So what is a safe lock?

DR ◣◢

Some insurance companies are now specifying that you need to have a cable lock of a certain thickness, often 12mm or more.

I've cut 10mm cable coil locks where keys were lost with cable cutters like scissors go through paper.

We have also had clients who had Imbi Bike Savers on their bike racks, the thieves cut the cable locks and attempted to steal the bikes but couldn't figure out what was holding them together(the Imbi's) and after being disturbed, eventually ran and left the bikes.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Let me go check my policy

Some insurance companies are now specifying that you need to have a cable lock of a certain thickness, often 12mm or more.

I've cut 10mm cable coil locks where keys were lost with cable cutters like scissors go through paper.

We have also had clients who had Imbi Bike Savers on their bike racks, the thieves cut the cable locks and attempted to steal the bikes but couldn't figure out what was holding them together(the Imbi's) and after being disturbed, eventually ran and left the bikes.

ha ha!

thats like the helmet strap keeping my bike safe at the coffee shop.

The safest lock is the one that's stronger than the one next to it.

One of the tools on my tool board will get through a cable lock in 10 seconds, and it fits in my pocket. A battery grinder will get through anything.

80% secure is as good as you'll get, for the determined and professional thief there's insurance.

January 2020 we were in a SANS Park.  A family with a double cab bakkie stopped at the unit next to ours ..... very soon their panic was clearly visible!!

They had LOCKED the Thule Express rack with a pad lock .... the key was inside the load bin .... they could not open the loadbin with the rack on the bakkie .....

Two spanners, and 15 seconds later I "removed" the lock for them .....  (they would have been seriously stuffed if they had used a proper lock)

His face when I popped the lock so easy was absolutely priceless ....  :whistling:  

January 2020 we were in a SANS Park.  A family with a double cab bakkie stopped at the unit next to ours ..... very soon their panic was clearly visible!!

They had LOCKED the Thule Express rack with a pad lock .... the key was inside the load bin .... they could not open the loadbin with the rack on the bakkie .....

Two spanners, and 15 seconds later I "removed" the lock for them .....  (they would have been seriously stuffed if they had used a proper lock)

His face when I popped the lock so easy was absolutely priceless ....  :whistling:  

The old spanner trick absolutely wrecks simple locks, it works really well.

Spend a couple of minutes (hours in my case) on YouTube with The Lock Picking Lawyer.

It is shocking how easy locks are picked. 

And that 15 sec includes finding the tool box and getting the spanners out

And that 15 sec includes finding the tool box and getting the spanners out

I was scared if a spanner slip I might scratch the bakkies tailgate .... so took it super slow and careful.

A normal lock just keeps curious eyes out.

Use a PROPER lock for valuables. .... unless the basic lock is just for insurance purposes ....

In the end we went the same route as Nico .... bikes now stay IN the car, 98% of the time.  Only when we are loaded for a holiday when the Thule rack is used .... and then I dont let the bikes out of my sight.

I won't educate theives on a public forum but any kind of cable lock is pretty useless for a half competent theif. Go to a motorbike shop and get a proper lock and chain

Nothing will stop them. Make sure the bike next to yours is easier to steal.

Will probably help if it's a better, more expensive bike too... :)

I this deemed a good option?

I need to secure our bikes properly on the rack or based on all the comments, some level of 2 min deterrent at least.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

This comes to mind

Not really. Takes less than a minute to cut through with an angle grinder.

However... Chains jump around unless clamped down in a vice which will add time to the process. 

I don't know how many thieves walk around with battery operated angle grinders though. 

Will be quicker to cut through the rack then unless it is looped around everything. 

My search for the Kryptonite chain comes up empty for South Africa?

I do find the U-Lock and cable option at Makro and Takealot but cant track down the chain.

My search for the Kryptonite chain comes up empty for South Africa?

I do find the U-Lock and cable option at Makro and Takealot but cant track down the chain.

Go to A boat place and ask for marine chains, I'm 90% sure it's the same thing