Same question, different noob - Perfect Starter MTB Hardtail

BF

Hi hubbers! I'm new to MTB, bike hub and the whole industry

Would really appreciate some advice on a decent entry, upgradable hardtail -

Budget is 8/10k - very entry level, hence hardtail.

I have been scouring the classifieds for a decent 2nd hand option and of course literally every single online portal to see what's available new -but between a decent 2nd options and all the advantages of buying new it's left me confused!

IMO - i think the Titan is the best over all starter? As there are a so many conflicting reviews, I thought id make a post - so any and all advice / reccomemedations are welcome.

I know that this is an overly asked question but thought id revive the feed for others in the same position!

If you kind enough to post a bit of a checklist regarding components so us noobs can start getting an idea

Thanks in advance everyone!

Edited by Blak Frost

Hi and welcome.

With your budget you can get a fairly ok bike new. Choosing a bike is often more about the components on it than the brand, but Titan seem to often have a good arrangement.

Checklist for me would be

1. Air shock vs coil shock - Air shock much better. My experience with coil shocks is not very good. But if on a budget a coil shock can also work fine.

2. Hydraulic brakes - Non negotiable for me. The cable activated disc brakes are ok I guess but for reliability - hydraulic.

3. Drivetrain - Some guys would shoot me for this.... Do not get too caught up in having a 1xsomething drivetrain. I had a 3x10 and currently have 2x11. Both very good range even if it might be slightly heavier.

4. Tubeless tires. Make sure that you can do a tubeless conversion with the tires and rims on the bike. Very important upgrade to do.

5. Rim size - If you choose a size, just make sure that you will get tires in a few years. People still riding 26 is struggling to get tires from what I have seen (nothing wrong with 26).

I would normally ask how serious do you think you will get about MTB'ing. If you enjoy it a lot and see yourself investing a lot of time, rather look for a cheaper second hand bike now and put the rest towards the next upgrade as your second bike is often a few times more expensive than the first (full sus, dropper post, trhough axles and all those types of goodies). 

Anyway good luck shopping and enjoy it.

Hi hubbers! I'm new to MTB, bike hub and the whole industry

Would really appreciate some advice on a decent entry, upgradable hardtail -

Budget is 8/10k - very entry level, hence hardtail.

I have been scouring the classifieds for a decent 2nd hand option and of course literally every single online portal to see what's available new -but between a decent 2nd options and all the advantages of buying new it's left me confused!

IMO - i think the Titan is the best over all starter? As there are a so many conflicting reviews, I thought id make a post - so any and all advice / reccomemedations are welcome.

I know that this is an overly asked question but thought id revive the feed for others in the same position!

If you kind enough to post a bit of a checklist regarding components so us noobs can start getting an idea

Thanks in advance everyone!

Depends on what you want to do with the bike. MTB has different segments, xc, enduro, trail, downhill.

I will assume you looking at a XC bike, a trail bike could be a bit nicer for you. If you after marathon riding, gravel grinding etc, then a 29er ht should be ideal. You can do this with 27.5 and 26 as well.

There are lots of other factors to consider as well. Quality of parts, you weight vs number of spokes. 32 spokes for the win all round.

For R8000-R10000 you should be able to find serious value in the classifieds. Depending on your size and location, of course.

Hi and welcome.

With your budget you can get a fairly ok bike new. Choosing a bike is often more about the components on it than the brand, but Titan seem to often have a good arrangement.

Checklist for me would be

1. Air shock vs coil shock - Air shock much better. My experience with coil shocks is not very good. But if on a budget a coil shock can also work fine.

2. Hydraulic brakes - Non negotiable for me. The cable activated disc brakes are ok I guess but for reliability - hydraulic.

3. Drivetrain - Some guys would shoot me for this.... Do not get too caught up in having a 1xsomething drivetrain. I had a 3x10 and currently have 2x11. Both very good range even if it might be slightly heavier.

4. Tubeless tires. Make sure that you can do a tubeless conversion with the tires and rims on the bike. Very important upgrade to do.

5. Rim size - If you choose a size, just make sure that you will get tires in a few years. People still riding 26 is struggling to get tires from what I have seen (nothing wrong with 26).

I would normally ask how serious do you think you will get about MTB'ing. If you enjoy it a lot and see yourself investing a lot of time, rather look for a cheaper second hand bike now and put the rest towards the next upgrade as your second bike is often a few times more expensive than the first (full sus, dropper post, trhough axles and all those types of goodies).

Anyway good luck shopping and enjoy it.

Thanks Gerhard!

I was seriously wondering about the wheel size options? - if I had to purchase a 2nd hand older 26" with all the bells & whistled , is it possible to upgrade to 27,5/29" wheels? - vs a newer 27,5/29er?

And lastly, well that's the conundrum, how "into it" will I be?

Well, I used to be very active and sporty in school, however 10 years later iv struggled to find something fitness I actually enjoy. Iv joined multiple gyms with a number of friends and just can't seem to pick up a routine as pumping machines in an enlcosed environment just doesn't stimulate me ????

So, Iv thought long and hard about a activity I will enjoy and MTB'ing just seems to tick all the boxes-fitness, outdoors, fun all in one!

I do insist I am going to dive straight in, but of course the more expensive bike I go the longer it takes me to get started, and right now I'm itching! And ready to get involved, hence why I'm looking for the best all-rounder hardtail bike - basic trails, small jumps, some downhill and that i can upgrade component wise as i improve and so that I can realise im ready to hide my bank statements from my Mrs ????????

Depends on what you want to do with the bike. MTB has different segments, xc, enduro, trail, downhill.

I will assume you looking at a XC bike, a trail bike could be a bit nicer for you. If you after marathon riding, gravel grinding etc, then a 29er ht should be ideal. You can do this with 27.5 and 26 as well.

There are lots of other factors to consider as well. Quality of parts, you weight vs number of spokes. 32 spokes for the win all round.

Thanks for the reply!

Im a average 178cm x 70kgs - so assuming a medium/ large depending on the brand? And I was concerned the 29s would be a bit big once I get braver! ????.. Most guys are using 27,5 when they start jumping around than just trail pedaling? Am I right?

There are a limited number of 26 inch frames that will accept 27.5 and none that will accept 29.

Dont buy a 26 inch frame with the purpose of putting bigger wheels on, the chances are you won't succeed.

You can do anything with any wheel size. Some are just a little harder than others initially. There are 26" tyres around, new ones and if I am not mistaken you can get rims too i.e locally. Otherwise order from an overseas online store where possible.

Dirtjump bikes are running 26" wheels. 

Edited by Eddy Gordo

Thanks Gerhard!

I was seriously wondering about the wheel size options? - if I had to purchase a 2nd hand older 26" with all the bells & whistled , is it possible to upgrade to 27,5/29" wheels? - vs a newer 27,5/29er?

And lastly, well that's the conundrum, how "into it" will I be?

Well, I used to be very active and sporty in school, however 10 years later iv struggled to find something fitness I actually enjoy. Iv joined multiple gyms with a number of friends and just can't seem to pick up a routine as pumping machines in an enlcosed environment just doesn't stimulate me

So, Iv thought long and hard about a activity I will enjoy and MTB'ing just seems to tick all the boxes-fitness, outdoors, fun all in one!

I do insist I am going to dive straight in, but of course the more expensive bike I go the longer it takes me to get started, and right now I'm itching! And ready to get involved, hence why I'm looking for the best all-rounder hardtail bike - basic trails, small jumps, some downhill and that i can upgrade component wise as i improve and so that I can realise im ready to hide my bank statements from my Mrs

I know some 26" bikes can be fitted with 27.5", but I would not. If you buy a budget/ entry level bike I feel it is much more costly to replace parts than just upgrading to an entire new bike at a higher spec level.

Did not think the words gym machines, pumping and stimulates could be used in one sentence :ph34r:

Nothing wrong with getting started on something affordable so that you can ride now. More important to get out there and ride than being on the best bike.

Just ask the shop to give you another invoice, but with the price you told the Mrs it cost.

My 2c - there is no such thing as a perfect starter bike so don't overthink it. The real important buy to get right is your second one...

One of 2 things will likely happen, you will either love mtb'ing and upgrade to a much more expensive bike within a year (not really worth upgrading a 10K bike bit by bit) or you won't and it will hang mostly unused in your garage . But you wont know which at this point.

Also (my biased opinion) unless you have someone advising you I think its better for a newbie to start off with a cheapish new bike, it take some knowledge, digging and a bit of luck to find a good second hand buy. It's far easier and less stressful once you have built up the knowledge and know exactly what you like and don't like to buy second hand at the right price.

At the price range I would also say do not overthink it too much. Upgrades are also costly most of the time, especially new wheelsets etc.

Try find something that is obviously still in good condition and has an air fork and hydraulic disc brakes. Maintenance on a hardtail is very straightforward. You can easily service and grease all parts except the fork.

If buying second hand, inspect the bike. Fork stanchions should be clean and smooth, no scratches, oil leaks etc. Inspect the teeth on the chainrings and cassette, take a chain wear tool with to measure chain wear (these are around R100 from your local bike shop and you will use it in the future). Get on the bike and take it for a ride. Test the gears and brakes. Twist/shake/turn cranks, wheels, headset to check for bearing wear. If all checks out you are good to go.

Also, just go for a 29er in my opinion. Don't waste your time on a 26" or 27.5. If you lived in Canada and you were considering doing downhill or enduro, then you consider other sizes. Here in SA and for your length, and 29er will be perfect.