Advice needed For Post Bike Sale

FreeSoul

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This should be an insurance claim against your insurance

The seller says, quote from your screen shot.  "I didn't see the crack on the front Derailleur the gears were working perfect when I boxed the Bike"

The bike was in your possession from Wednesday 13/01/2021 and you only notify the seller on Saturday 15 16/01/2021. 

According to this the RD was broken in your possession, and thus the claim on your insurance

My assumptions are:

• You have insurance for your new 60K bike and your TT Bike (with Di2) 
  • You don't have a Tax Invoice from the seller, making this a private 2nd hand sale, void of warranties

You trust the guy enough to hand over 60K on a bike you have not seen (I assume based on his BikeHub Reviews) and then don't trust him when he says the gears were working perfectly before he boxed the bike. ie you trust him with a 60k Bike in his possession, but you don't trust him with 5k RD in your possession ???

I agree with Shebeen:

We don't have his side of the story.

Comes down what is 'BikeBub' reputation is worth.

Look, we don't have his side of the story, but I think you've been pretty detailed. 

This just boils down to what this guy's reputation and name is worth to him.

Give him 24 hours to refund and take the bike back or name and shame. 

if he really is a trader then he will surely be weighing up his loss on this deal or future ones.

If he is selling on behalf of someone else there is a very slim chance of refund (Unless you go the Legal route and even then there are no guarantees)    

My assumptions are :

• The money has already been paid to the previous owner
  • He is trying to fix this with his commission (maybe R6000 if comm is 10%) 

What's missing form your details are:

5. Unpacked bike that was meticulously protected which I was stoked about. Went about putting seat post in place, re-attaching cockpit and slapping on some pedals. Bike looked great, so I plugged in the Di2 to charge and waited in anticipation for Saturday’s roll. 

Did you attach the Rear wheel when you unpacked the bike or was it attached in the box?

Did you test shift the gears after putting the bike together?

Did you test ride in the driveway after putting your bike together? 

If not you're very brave to go on a Cradle ride without checking, the brakes work, the saddle height, handle bar position, gears shift properly, etc

6. Saturday arrived, grabbed the bike and headed out to the cradle to meet my team for its maiden voyage.

Did you drive to the Cradle or Ride there?
If you drove ...

how was the bike transported? Back seat or Bike rack ?

Did you drive down Cedar road through the bumpy detour where they are doing the road works? Ie could the RD have been damaged at this Point? 

( I drove through there on Sunday and though my car was going to fall apart and then reduce speed to 30km/h) 

7.Rode up the first rise (1km)  then started shifting to biggest great for decent. Heard a weird grinding sound coming from the RD. Stopped too check what’s going on as I have never heard this sound before (I have a TT bike with the same Di2).

Was this the first time you shifted gears?

As Jerry Springer would say "It's time to bring in the Seller".... it's Friday after all.

Edit: Removed Duplicate Content

Edited by AdamA

The crack on the FD visible in the sale pics really is a bit of a smoking gun. The seller should offer you a full refund and pay for the return shipping costs. 

In my opinion, this counts as either negligence on the seller's part, or just plain sneakiness. The seller really shouldn't argue with you.

Edit: I wouldn't feel comfortable riding a bike that was supposed to be "absolute mint", only to discover clear faults upon riding. There are probably other issues with the bike as well, hence why a full refund is the only correct outcome here.

Has the seller replaced the parts?

I took the time to check this post again and my findings are as follow:

1. You received the bike the 13th, a Wednesday and assembled it, plugged in Di2 and charged it, in my experience, 1,5 hours to full charge.

2. You then went for a ride on the 16th and not the 15th and found out the bike is not functional.

If I paid 60K for a bike, even if I complete a build, I fully check, test, tune, align etc the moment it’s completed and take a quick spin to make sure all is sorted. The bike was in your possession from Wednesday to Saturday, what if someone else damage/ dropped the bike without your knowledge? That someone else could be you too. Personally, if I sell you an item, I insist that you inspect/ test the moment you receive it, we complete the ratings and the deal is concluded.

Fix the bike yourself, agree to a partial refund, swap derailleurs from your TT bike as you can’t use both at the same time and move forward. I think it’s a bit harsh to return 3 days later and request a full refund as it’s his word against yours. Also, let’s not forget your mechy taking things apart. You should’ve taken it to your mechy the day you received it.

Edited by Edereese

I took the time to check this post again and my findings are as follow:

1. You received the bike the 13th, a Wednesday and assembled it, plugged in Di2 and charged it, in my experience, 1,5 hours to full charge.

2. You then went for a ride on the 16th and not the 15th and found out the bike is not functional.

If I paid 60K for a bike, even if I complete a build, I fully check, test, tune, align etc the moment it’s completed and take a quick spin to make sure all is sorted. The bike was in your possession from Wednesday to Saturday, what if someone else damage/ dropped the bike without your knowledge? That someone else could be you too. Personally, if I sell you an item, I insist that you inspect/ test the moment you receive it, we complete the ratings and the deal is concluded.

Fix the bike yourself, agree to a partial refund, swap derailleurs from your TT bike as you can’t use both at the same time and move forward. I think it’s a bit harsh to return 3 days later and request a full refund as it’s his word against yours. Also, let’s not forget your mechy taking things apart. You should’ve taken it to your mechy the day you received it.

I did take the bike for a quick spin on the day I received it to ensure saddle height, stem, drops etc was setup correctly for me. Gears worked 100% but then again, I didnt use the full range.

Also, you are forgetting the FD was CRACKED (and not disclosed) before it was sent to me. I have pics to prove this sent by the seller via WhatsApp which I managed to zoom in and clean up using some specific software. It is clearly visible.

My theory was that the bike was dropped / banged as something caused the crack. It makes sense that the RD could have suffered a similar impact to its internal workings, hence my concern and request for a full refund.

We have agreed to some monetary value for the components (market related / second hand). Nothing available so had to fork out additional cash for a new.

I did take the bike for a quick spin on the day I received it to ensure saddle height, stem, drops etc was setup correctly for me. Gears worked 100% but then again, I didnt use the full range.

Also, you are forgetting the FD was CRACKED (and not disclosed) before it was sent to me. I have pics to prove this sent by the seller via WhatsApp which I managed to zoom in and clean up using some specific software. It is clearly visible.

My theory was that the bike was dropped / banged as something caused the crack. It makes sense that the RD could have suffered a similar impact to its internal workings, hence my concern and request for a full refund.

We have agreed to some monetary value for the components (market related / second hand). Nothing available so had to fork out additional cash for a new.

Care to share the doctored photos?

Edited by DR ◣◢

My theory was that the bike was dropped / banged as something caused the crack. It makes sense that the RD could have suffered a similar impact to its internal workings, hence my concern and request for a full refund.

The housing was cracked, maybe he overlooked it, honest mistake. You mentioned the bike was working 100%? Your mechy opened the RD and now it’s broken?? I think you just need to do some minor adjustments as my brand new di2 also made weird noises when I did the first installation, but after adjustments, flawless. Also, you agreed on a value, it’s unethical to expect new parts, it’s like buying a secondhand bike and insuring it for latest replacement value, not cool.

The seller has offered to assist you and I think is more then reasonable. The bike work when you road it, the bike worked when he road it. What if something happened to the bike while it was in your care as it was not working when you road it again? Also, di2 don’t allow cross chaining. Honestly bud, I’m with the seller on this one. Three days later and now the bike is not riding at all?? Be happy he is willing to assist you. Improvise and swap derailleurs, use the bike and keep your eyes on the classifieds. He gave you a cracked FD and you broke his RD so technically, you squared. Lastly, get a new Mechy!

Edited by Edereese

And, why not send the seller this link so he can defend himself or tell his side of the story. 3 sides, yours, his and the truth.

The housing was cracked, maybe he overlooked it, honest mistake. You mentioned the bike was working 100%? Your mechy opened the RD and now it’s broken?? I think you just need to do some minor adjustments as my brand new di2 also made weird noises when I did the first installation, but after adjustments, flawless. Also, you agreed on a value, it’s unethical to expect new parts, it’s like buying a secondhand bike and insuring it for latest replacement value, not cool.

The seller has offered to assist you and I think is more then reasonable. The bike work when you road it, the bike worked when he road it. What if something happened to the bike while it was in your care as it was not working when you road it again? Also, di2 don’t allow cross chaining. Honestly bud, I’m with the seller on this one. Three days later and now the bike is not riding at all?? Be happy he is willing to assist you. Improvise and swap derailleurs, use the bike and keep your eyes on the classifieds. He gave you a cracked FD and you broke his RD so technically, you squared. Lastly, get a new Mechy!

It stopped working after the first KM on my ride on the Sat after shifting down to the highest gear. The sound that it was making (and not shifting) was evident of something fundamentally wrong. At this point, I dropped the bike at my Mechy and he took it apart of figure out what the problem is in oder to attempt to fix it. It was beyond repair. Also, just a note, this is a top Mechy who I have been using for years as well as my other team mates. I consider him an expert in his field.

Form your Opening Post 

18. No response. While I wait, I go have a look at all the additional pics he sent me via WhatsApp as he kept insinuating the bike was 100% when he boxed it. I find a pic of the FD and upon zooming in, you can clearly see the crack. I send a series of pics to him proving the crack was done pre send. This was at 15:33. No response.

From #75

1. you seem to be changing your story

2. what Software did you use?

3. What "Mint Condition" bike did you buy for R60k?

4. we still haven't seen any Pics