Advice needed For Post Bike Sale

FreeSoul

Look, the seller is dodgy, but i dont think you're squeaky clean in this either.

Normally, you receive something that doesn't work as intended, you contact the seller and ask how he would like to proceed. This gives him the option to take it back and have a look himself, or send you to his trusted mech to take a look. You recieved the bike, found a fault, and took it to your own expert, who could have easily done more damage or created detrimental damage to a part that could have had a very small issue instead.

You buy a car from a dealer, and if something goes wrong in those first 6 months, they handle the complaint, not your buddy down the road... The friend is there for advice, not for a botched repair...

Again, both parties suck here, but i think you should have gone about all of this totally differently.

It wasn't a "friend" that looked at the RD, it was a very reputable bike shop here in JHB that specializes in bike services only. Also, the guy who I bought the bike from is in CT and I am in JHB. My first reaction to receiving the news of the busted RD was to send it back and get a refund. He refused.

Also, you forgetting a few things.

1- Front RD craked and not disclosed

2- Lied about the length of the crank

This makes the seller's word a little dodgy at best.

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sheesh, you being the OP coming across very defensive after been given advice from fellow hubbers!

This is your own fault as you leaving the rest of us in this guessing game without actual pics to back up anything.

Worst of all, by not outing the seller already we take it that you two are best of chums then  :ph34r:

What you mean why he opened the RD? He was trying to figure out why it wasn't working and where the noise was coming from??? How else was he supposed to triage the issue? Thats their job!

The mech opened the housing of the RD and showed me the damaged of the internal workings. Its nothing to do with shift modes etc. I have done this many times on my other bike.

Why did he open it? And what exactly of the "internal workings" was damaged?

Also, is he certified to open Shimano Di2 components?

Edited by Edereese

Still don’t know how people can fork

Out this type of cash on a bike without viewing it and testing it?

Yeah, this is the part that gets me the most... Hub ratings are great and all, but if im about to drop 60k, I'll spend another 2% of that on getting it looked at and vetted by an independent shop...

Hope you get sorted out to your satisfaction OP, but i dont know if that exists, really..

Wow, all this unnecessary attacking.

Why is this so complicated?

A deal was done a with a "reputable" dealer on a trusted forum.

People are now cross questioning the buyer about his due diligence on the item.

Yes - a lot of money was handed over - but really, was he supposed to check the crank arm length as well? He stated that this was stipulated as a requirement upfront?

Why is all of this now his problem and put down to school fees?

Name the seller, BikeHub should also prevent him from trading here going forward as well.

Trial by BikeHub means that all parties are burned at the stake

#victimblaming

I'm not sure if you're trying to be serious or not? If you sell something cheaply then you can lie about it? Would you check the crank length on a bike the second it arrives? Cracked handle bar?

The OP needs to name and shame the person as publicly as possible - the damage to their reputation hopefully does much more damage than fixing the faults would have. If you can afford the legal route then do that just for fun - it will bankrupt the seller very quickly and make him regret his "speak to my lawyer" nonsense.

If you sell something cheaply then you can lie about it?

No, I'm not saying its okay to lie, I'm saying "if its to good to be true it probably isn't'

Would you check the crank length on a bike the second it arrives?

Yes, if had specified I wanted a 19" frame, with 10 Speed XT gears and 780mm handle bars and 175mm crank, and Tubeless Tyres, I would check each of those individually. 

I wouldn't necessarily  check the following:

if the chain was Shimano, SRAM or KMC

the cassette was Shimano, SRAM or Sunrace

if the shifter cables were Shimano or Jagwire ( not that i could tell the difference anyway) 

Cracked handle bar?

That was a cheap-shot at the OP for putting his R60K carbon bike together without a Torque wench - I apologize, it was unnecessary.

I don't think the Lawyers route is the best way, but if you can afford it then yes go have some fun. But the Lawyers on either side will will be asking the questions similar to what i have been asking?

Edited by AdamA

It wasn't a "friend" that looked at the RD, it was a very reputable bike shop here in JHB that specializes in bike services only. Also, the guy who I bought the bike from is in CT and I am in JHB. My first reaction to receiving the news of the busted RD was to send it back and get a refund. He refused.

Also, you forgetting a few things.

1- Front RD craked and not disclosed

2- Lied about the length of the crank

This makes the seller's word a little dodgy at best.

1- The cracked FD was disclosed in WhatsApp photos prior to sale, and the Seller was not aware of this but is still willing to replace like for like (2nd Hand) - this makes the seller reasonable, not dodgy.

According to you the RD was working 100% on Wednesday 13 Jan.

2- How did the seller confirm the crank length?

• BikeHub Advert Details = False advertising
  • Photo on WhatsApp = Fraud (using misleading photos)
  • Telephone conversation = hearsay / your word vs his word
  • WhatsApp Message -

"Yes, I think crank is 172.5mm" - would not be a lie

"Yes crank is 172.5mm" - maybe a lie or a mistake

"Yes crank is 172.5mm, I just checked" would be a Lie

"Yes crank definitely is 172.5mm" would be a Lie

You are not giving us the full picture and omitting important details.

Edited by AdamA

Seller has refused to budge. As it stands:

1. He refuses to give me a compensation for either the RD or the FD even though I sent the original RD back. The agreement as per WhattsApp was that he would pay me as soon as the RD arrived. He has since changed his mind.
  2. He will only give me money for the Crank once he receives the current one back (sound familiar?) This means I have to again take it to my LBS to get someone to remove the crank so it can be sent. I them have to hope he pays me so I can find a replacement then take it back to the LBS for for fitting.

I am done with his crap. Below are his details:

Name: Rikus Smit - Based in Durbanville Western Cape.

Profile Link: https://bikehub.co.z.../profile/140968

FB: https://www.facebook.com/rikus.smit.3

Some Images:

Edited by FreeSoul

Dear hubbers, please don't assume that my silence equals guilt or misconduct. I will soon revert with the full version. I will go through all Luke's messages and compile my responses, I will back up my answers with proof.

Dear hubbers, please don't assume that my silence equals guilt or misconduct. I will soon revert with the full version. I will go through all Luke's messages and compile my responses, I will back up my answers with proof.

Cool - Just post the full WhattsApp convo.

Is AdamA the sellers best buddy?

Nope, I don't even know they guy, I thought it was someone else with 18 x 5Star reviews (who i din't know either) 

Welcome to the conversation Rikus, some proof would be great. Up until now we've been dealing with a one-sided story with no proof and a lot of missing details.