Advice needed For Post Bike Sale

FreeSoul

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why is Rikus selling these things for "friends"?

Does Rikus have lots of "friends"? [emoji848]

That always goes wrong when issues crop up because the seller just passes the buck, pulls the not my bike bs.

The rule on many forums is if you sell something you take take full responsibility for that sale. Something that Admin should probably institute in thehub classifieds.

Edited by Skylark

Hi  hubbers, I am the seller of the bike Freesoul bought. I am not here for conflict, just to state my side of the story as I got nothing to hide.

I sold the bike for a friend of mine. OP started enquiring about the bike on the 8th of January 2021. I sent him all the photos that was provided, and I also stated that the frame was covered with decals in a different color as the original color just as personal preference as we all know if a frame gets resprayed red flags pops up. He also asked me about the crank length, and I said it is a 172.5mm (My mistake, and I apologized for the mistake as I know I am human, and we all make mistakes). He paid the money into my friends account the next day and send me a POP.

Friend rode the bike before he brought it to me on Monday 11th Jan to get boxed. I went through the gears and saw everything shifts and then boxed the bike. I removed the handlebar and front wheel the fit the bike into the box.

Long story, but one thing doesn't make sense:

If you sold the bike for a friend of yours, why are you stuck with the problem ?

Nowhere do you say, "hold on, let me talk to the seller and see if I can get him to refund your money", particularly as you only have his word that everything was fine.

The seller neglected to tell you about the cracked FD  and you didn't take the bike for a ride, you 

just went through the gears and boxed it.

Surely the right thing to have done is to tell your mate when the OP contacted you the first time to refund the the cash and take his broken bike back?

...serious or not serious question,

apart from the agony in the whatsapp messages. why couldn't the seller(and his friend) just refund him and he sends the bike back?

reading that none paragraph reply has given me a headache, i only managed to get to the point of the crank arms...

Why is Rikus selling these things for "friends"?

Does Rikus have lots of "friends"? [emoji848]

That always goes wrong when issues crop up because the seller just passes the buck, pulls the not my bike bs.

The rule on many forums is if you sell something you take take full responsibility for that sale. Something that Admin should probably institute in thehub classifieds.

Lol... I always wonder the exact same thing when someone is "selling for a friend". Does someone with that kind of cash for a bicycle not access to the interweb or phone that he can use to sell his own sh!t?

1. Saturday arrived, grabbed the bike and headed out to the cradle to meet my team for its maiden voyage.
  2. Rode up the first rise (1km)  then started shifting to biggest great for decent. Heard a weird grinding sound coming from the RD. Stopped too check what’s going on as I have never heard this sound before (I have a TT bike with the same Di2).
  3. At this point in time, I start fiddling with the shifters, but no matter what I do, It's stuck in the same gear and the grinding sound continues.
  4. I check the front FD in case something is off and causing the issue. To my surprise I notice a crack on the side of the motor mechanism. Ride over for the day so I pack up and head home.
  5. I message seller on the way home (15/01/2021) stating what I have observed on the FD and that the RD is stuck. I am obviously pretty pissed off that the FD is cracked as this wasn’t brought to my attention during the sale.

Saturday morning 16th Jan, 06:32am I received a photo of the front derailleur showing the cracked housing, where the buyer says he was about to start riding and he noticed the crack. 10.23am I told him I was trying to get hold of my friend and will revert to him with a plan. 11.25am I phoned him later and told him I am sorry about it and did not notice the crack when I boxed the bike, but I will look for a replacement front derailleur and replace it. I then learned that his gears are not working at all now and he has tried to take it out of crash mode will diagnose it on E-Tube.

‎[2021/01/16, 06:32:28] Luke: ‎<attached: 00000070-PHOTO-2021-01-16-06-32-28.jpg>
[2021/01/16, 10:23:00] Luke: Would appreciate a response.
[2021/01/16, 10:23:48] S Works: Hi Luke, sorry just trying to get hold of the owner to find out from him. As I didn't see that when I boxed the bike.
[2021/01/16, 10:24:22] Luke: Please do and revert with a plan.
[2021/01/16, 10:36:54] S Works: I will definitely get back to you within this morning still.
[2021/01/16, 10:37:06] Luke: Shot.
[2021/01/16, 11:31:58] S Works: Just please make sure that the Derailleur isn't possibly in crash mode.
[2021/01/16, 11:32:45] Luke: Tried already to remove it out of crash mode. No luck. Let me see what E-TUBE says.

Buyer says in OP that he notified Seller of the faulty RD and the same time as the cracked FD

Seller says he only learned the gears (RD) were not working after 11:25am

Buyers WhatsApp only indicated a photo was sent at 06:32am

After seeing the posts, i stick by my original statement. Youre both *** at this.

At this point, with what we have in front of us, i feel like fair compensation for the crank, the FD, and half of the RD. Crank was a lie, which sucks, make it right. FD was broken before sale, not mentioned, pay up. RD - chain wizard can apparently be the "best in jhb", but he shouldn't have opened it. Paying half sounds fair but even then i think the buyer should take the whole hit for authorizing his mech for opening the RD up. That eas stupid.

Anyway, hope you guys get this sorted. Nice to know i wont ever want to do business with either of you. Good luck!

What a mess.

Seller, do the right thing and give the buyer a full refund. Then get your friend to cough up. Maybe reconsider who you are friends with.

Buyer, do the right thing and send the bike back once you receive refund. 

Move on with life.  

Edited by Mike Mac

1. Saturday arrived, grabbed the bike and headed out to the cradle to meet my team for its maiden voyage.
  2. Rode up the first rise (1km)  then started shifting to biggest great for decent. Heard a weird grinding sound coming from the RD. Stopped too check what’s going on as I have never heard this sound before (I have a TT bike with the same Di2).
  3. At this point in time, I start fiddling with the shifters, but no matter what I do, It's stuck in the same gear and the grinding sound continues.
  4. I check the front FD in case something is off and causing the issue. To my surprise I notice a crack on the side of the motor mechanism. Ride over for the day so I pack up and head home.
  5. I message seller on the way home (15/01/2021) stating what I have observed on the FD and that the RD is stuck. I am obviously pretty pissed off that the FD is cracked as this wasn’t brought to my attention during the sale.

Saturday morning 16th Jan, 06:32am I received a photo of the front derailleur showing the cracked housing, where the buyer says he was about to start riding and he noticed the crack. 10.23am I told him I was trying to get hold of my friend and will revert to him with a plan. 11.25am I phoned him later and told him I am sorry about it and did not notice the crack when I boxed the bike, but I will look for a replacement front derailleur and replace it. I then learned that his gears are not working at all now and he has tried to take it out of crash mode will diagnose it on E-Tube.

‎[2021/01/16, 06:32:28] Luke: ‎<attached: 00000070-PHOTO-2021-01-16-06-32-28.jpg>
[2021/01/16, 10:23:00] Luke: Would appreciate a response.
[2021/01/16, 10:23:48] S Works: Hi Luke, sorry just trying to get hold of the owner to find out from him. As I didn't see that when I boxed the bike.
[2021/01/16, 10:24:22] Luke: Please do and revert with a plan.
[2021/01/16, 10:36:54] S Works: I will definitely get back to you within this morning still.
[2021/01/16, 10:37:06] Luke: Shot.
[2021/01/16, 11:31:58] S Works: Just please make sure that the Derailleur isn't possibly in crash mode.
[2021/01/16, 11:32:45] Luke: Tried already to remove it out of crash mode. No luck. Let me see what E-TUBE says.

Buyer says in OP that he notified Seller of the faulty RD and the same time as the cracked FD

Seller says he only learned the gears (RD) were not working after 11:25am

Buyers WhatsApp only indicated a photo was sent at 06:32am

You really are nit picking at timelines. The facts remain the same.

After seeing the posts, i stick by my original statement. Youre both *** at this.

At this point, with what we have in front of us, i feel like fair compensation for the crank, the FD, and half of the RD. Crank was a lie, which sucks, make it right. FD was broken before sale, not mentioned, pay up. RD - chain wizard can apparently be the "best in jhb", but he shouldn't have opened it. Paying half sounds fair but even then i think the buyer should take the whole hit for authorizing his mech for opening the RD up. That eas stupid.

Anyway, hope you guys get this sorted. Nice to know i wont ever want to do business with either of you. Good luck!

This is all I was ever after. Fair compensation. Nothing more, nothing less.

Rikus, are going to make things right?

The guy doesn't seem unreasonable, the crank and FD seem indisputable and it would seem decent to at least go half on the RD.

Not really tho - you went from, okay replace the parts, to okay, i lost faith in the bike and refund me. Which is a big ask often - most people are selling a bike to finance a new one, and so cant float that 60k for weeks on end praying you'll not come back.

Fair compensation is fair. Refund for one or two things out of joint isn't, at least not on the used market, inless its a glaringly obvious issue like a repaired frame or something else undisclosed... Anyway, good luck man. Enjoy riding your bike.