Advice needed For Post Bike Sale

FreeSoul

[2021/01/08, 12:48:39] Luke: So does price include shipping? Also, crack length?

[2021/01/08, 14:50:32] Luke: ?

[2021/01/08, 14:51:01] S Works: No it does not include shipping. It is 172.5. more a mistake, than a lie

[2021/01/08, 14:59:11] Luke: Can you get me a price with shipping?

[2021/01/08, 15:26:34] S Works: Shipping will be R600 extra.

[2021/01/08, 15:32:40] Luke: Cool. Can you perhaps send more pics of the bike? Really keen.

[2021/01/08, 15:46:16] S Works: This is the original color. We put decals over it. ""BIG ALARM BELLS""

[2021/01/08, 15:56:34] Luke: Thanks. Can you send me your bank details?

[2021/01/08, 16:00:05] S Works: It's my friend's details. You can just pay him.  ""ALARM BELLS""

[2021/01/12, 10:24:55] Luke: Quick question, do you know what BB the bike takes? - You're asking this after you paid for the bike!?!

[2021/01/12, 11:19:36] S Works: Hi Luke, it takes a Bb30 bb. Actually just 2x 6806 bearings with 2 circlips. And then a adapter to make a Shimano crank work.

[2021/01/12, 11:23:51] Luke: Great!

[2021/01/15, 11:44:24] Luke: Hi. Got the bike! All looks good. Are the original decals under the new ones?  You're asking this after you received the bike!?!?!

Edited by AdamA

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

[2021/01/08, 12:48:39] Luke: So does price include shipping? Also, crack length?
[2021/01/08, 14:50:32] Luke: ?
[2021/01/08, 14:51:01] S Works: No it does not include shipping. It is 172.5. more a mistake, than a lie
[2021/01/08, 14:59:11] Luke: Can you get me a price with shipping?
[2021/01/08, 15:26:34] S Works: Shipping will be R600 extra.
[2021/01/08, 15:32:40] Luke: Cool. Can you perhaps send more pics of the bike? Really keen.

[2021/01/08, 15:46:16] S Works: This is the original color. We put decals over it. ""BIG ALARM BELLS""

[2021/01/08, 15:56:34] Luke: Thanks. Can you send me your bank details?
[2021/01/08, 16:00:05] S Works: It's my friend's details. You can just pay him.  ""ALARM BELLS""

[2021/01/12, 10:24:55] Luke: Quick question, do you know what BB the bike takes? - You're asking this after you paid for the bike!?!
[2021/01/12, 11:19:36] S Works: Hi Luke, it takes a Bb30 bb. Actually just 2x 6806 bearings with 2 circlips. And then a adapter to make a Shimano crank work.
[2021/01/12, 11:23:51] Luke: Great!
[2021/01/15, 11:44:24] Luke: Hi. Got the bike! All looks good. Are the original decals under the new ones?  You're asking this after you received the bike!?!?!

Those are all immaterial points.

The "seller" must just fix the broken or misrepresented stuff and be on his way.

I just hope that frame doesn't have any cracks other issues, all these stickers and the "seller" and his "friend" ducking and diving. I've been burnt with a dodgy frame, luckily for me the seller was above board and arranged for a replacement rear triangle, it was a royal pita because the new triangle took months to arrive but he still stood by his sale and it was eventually sorted.

The amount of victim blaming that has happened on this, is rubbish. :cursing:

We have people nitpicking timelines, when he asked certain questions and if he put the bike together correctly...

FACT: Seller did not disclose/be truthful enough to warrant being innocent. END OF!! 

Buyer has transferred a large amount of money (whether he shouldn't before seeing the bike is irrelevant) for something which was not advertised. That is the bottom line.

This is precisely the reason why dubious people get away with that they want on the hub. Victim asks for advice and is burnt at the stake because he didn't do 'what you would of done'.

If admin does not permanently ban these people (relation to the other thread regarding 650 vs 29er) it shows that they do not care about its members. This goes for all the 'individuals' trading as such without registering as a dealer. Stuff the fact that you are selling 'on be half of someone' or 'in your personal capacity outside of the shop you own". 

The amount of victim blaming that has happened on this, is rubbish. :cursing:

We have people nitpicking timelines, when he asked certain questions and if he put the bike together correctly...

FACT: Seller did not disclose/be truthful enough to warrant being innocent. END OF!!

Buyer has transferred a large amount of money (whether he shouldn't before seeing the bike is irrelevant) for something which was not advertised. That is the bottom line.

This is precisely the reason why dubious people get away with that they want on the hub. Victim asks for advice and is burnt at the stake because he didn't do 'what you would of done'.

If admin does not permanently ban these people (relation to the other thread regarding 650 vs 29er) it shows that they do not care about its members. This goes for all the 'individuals' trading as such without registering as a dealer. Stuff the fact that you are selling 'on be half of someone' or 'in your personal capacity outside of the shop you own".

Well said.

Admin needs to be fair and just, not jump on the bandwagon of peoples opinion.

This was handled pretty **** by both parties.

OP seemingly getting aggro and rude in the messages, seller for handling it poorly as well.

Handing out bans is going to be seen as unfair by a lot of other people.

Edit - not picking sides, just saying what a lot of people seem to forget about being a mod/admin for any service is really hard. Look at the flaming the admins took for contemplating what they believe to be in the best interest for the site.

Edited by Jurgens Smit

I asked a similar question earlier about Admin action. The Hub is being abused by all and sundry, be it the Stolen bike section where people post stuff then disappear to these dodgy dealings.

Implementation of a rule that you cannot sell unless you've been around and are part of the "community".

Use the ratings system..

Etc.

Admin needs to be fair and just, not jump on the bandwagon of peoples opinion.

This was handled pretty **** by both parties.

OP seemingly getting aggro and rude in the messages, seller for handling it poorly as well.

How do you expect the buyer to react after paying R60k for broken goods? Come on, I would be vloeking seven ways from Sunday. The fact remains that whether the buyer handled well or not, he was screwed over. Full stop.

I know you not picking sides, but admin MUST start providing action. 

*spelling

Edited by JuddMan

I still think the seller should take the bike back. No need to swap out cranks and FD etc. Just take the bike back and don't hide behind voetstoots. I got my back up the moment you mentioned it.

It will cost the buyer the price of shipping and it will cost the seller whatever to fix the RD.

His 'friend' tested the bike, the actual seller didn't test the bike so he cannot know that it wasn't working

Guys are forgetting Admin has done something atleast by creating 'Bike Hub Pay' facility

Simple enough: https://bikehub.co.za/classifieds/sell-on-bike-hub

Agreed. Good enough model, and anyone who refuses to sell via this should be a red flag.

I still feel that admin should be banning these sellers though, because they are hurting their own image and its members.

How do you expect the seller to react after paying R60k for broken goods? Come on, I would be vloeking seven ways from Sunday. The fact remains that whether the buyer handled well or not, he was screwed over. Full stop.

I know you not picking sides, but admin MUST start providing action. 

Emotion goes a long way in forming someones opinion into you know what F this guy.

Reading the Sellers whatsapps show that he tried somewhat to compromise and accommodate. Whether thats right or wrong is opinion and not fact.

Regardless, if I were to sell something and feel that there was no fault when it left my hands I would also get pissed if I get threatening messages.

"How do you expect the seller to react after paying R60k for broken goods? Come on, I would be vloeking seven ways from Sunday."

Regarding this, onus is on the buyer to ensure he is happy before handing over 60k. I'm sure the seller would have allowed an LBS to inspect the bike if requested. Any reasonable person would. The entire 60k was not broken goods fyi, at max (given 2nd hand etc) 10k was broken, replacing with equal value is a fair compromise.

Again, not picking sides as I have been in the buyers shoes before in getting something that was not in the condition advertised. But the argument goes both ways in saying buyer right/seller wrong or seller right/buyer wrong.

Both acted poorly and made bad decisions.

Agreed. Good enough model, and anyone who refuses to sell via this should be a red flag.

I still feel that admin should be banning these sellers though, because they are hurting their own image and its members.

They aren't hurting their own image though and you don't seem to realize this.

Bikehub has got methods in place to assist the buyer and the seller. If this was not used, it is defs not the site or admins problem.

Secondly, buying 2nd hand private has got 0 warranties and like it or not you can't force the seller into anything because it is bought as is. Unless it is a clear cut fraud case, which this is not.

If you do not use the methods in place you can't whine to admin calling for a ban. Easy as that.

There is also no real supporting evidence that the seller is a con.

This whole sale was a monumental clusterf*** and should have been handled differently, but it is not saying the seller is a thief/bad dealer or whatever you want to call it.

Fact is, people saw one half of the story for +- 10 pages, got emotionally invested into the buyers story before even hearing the other side.

Again, no reason for the admin to ban anyone unless there is concrete proof that the seller tried to screw this guy and others over, which unfortunately there isn't.

Emotion goes a long way in forming someones opinion into you know what F this guy.

Reading the Sellers whatsapps show that he tried somewhat to compromise and accommodate. Whether thats right or wrong is opinion and not fact.

Regardless, if I were to sell something and feel that there was no fault when it left my hands I would also get pissed if I get threatening messages.

"How do you expect the seller to react after paying R60k for broken goods? Come on, I would be vloeking seven ways from Sunday."

Regarding this, (1)onus is on the buyer to ensure he is happy before handing over 60k. I'm sure the seller would have allowed an LBS to inspect the bike if requested. Any reasonable person would. (2)The entire 60k was not broken goods fyi, at max (given 2nd hand etc) 10k was broken, replacing with equal value is a fair compromise.

Again, not picking sides as I have been in the buyers shoes before in getting something that was not in the condition advertised. But the argument goes both ways in saying buyer right/seller wrong or seller right/buyer wrong.

Both acted poorly and made bad decisions.

(1) Why? Why does the buyer have to do things when handing over cash? The seller should be truthful, informed and 100% accurate. We not buying food here, it is something that's worth a small 2nd hand car. (This point of mine only stands if we dealing with a hubber who has good ratings etc. if not, then I agree with you)

(2) Cool, so next time somone buys a car and the gearbox is buggered (without being told, or even being told that everything was fine), we can just be happy with a gearbox replacement and not at all be considerate to the buyers thoughts of confidence in the product or whether he is happy with now having a car (which he was told works) being repaired? Replacement/refund. Only option.