Marvel T1 indoor trainer

Sudhir Chandanram

Hi any recommendations about the Marvel T1 indoor trainer, i'm new to cycling and would like to invest in a trainer just to get a workout in at home. 

I don't need the latest tech, just to keep myself fit during lockdown. 

regards 

Sudhir 

Hi any recommendations about the Marvel T1 indoor trainer, i'm new to cycling and would like to invest in a trainer just to get a workout in at home. 

regards 

Sudhir 

Sudhir welcome to the Hub

The unit itself does its job ..... so not a "bad buy" ....  

Few years ago I was in your shoes, and bought a similar unit from the same shop.  Used it twice, and hated the noise levels .... it is currently on loan to a friend.

Starting out, you are unlikely to spend more on a "trainer", but still worth understanding the depth of this money pit ....

1)  These units are called "dumb, wheel-on trainers".  The bike wheel runs on a roller (causing the noise), and there is not automatic resistance feedback to the unit.

2) "Smart, wheel-on trainers" .... the wheel still run on a roller, but now there is a box of electronics linking to something like ZWIFT.  As the route climbs a hill the resistance automatically adjusts.  The use of something like Zwift opens another money-pit, as you can now watch the route and other riders while riding .....

https://www.wahoofitness.co.za/wahoo-kickr-snap.html

bit of a price jump though .... and you still need the bits and bobs to link to Zwift, etc etc ....

3) "Smart, wheel-OFF" trainers ..... the rear wheel is removed, and the frame clamped to the trainer. Minimal noise !  :clap:   For the rest it is similar to "2" above.

https://www.wahoofitness.co.za/wahoo-kickr-core.html

Clearly there is a lot more to this topic, but starting out it is not realistic to dump this type of money into a trainer ....

Rather buy a second hand basic trainer for now .... as it most likely will end on a shelf sooner rather than later ....  :whistling:   :ph34r:   If the bug bites, well then you can really go big ...

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/160110-show-us-your-winter-pain-cave/?hl=pain+cave

Edited by ChrisF

regards 

Sudhir 

I don't have any experience with that particular trainer, but if you can afford to spend a bit more on a slightly better rig you won't regret it in the long run.

I can highly recommend a Tacx Bushido (I use mine a lot) which has a built in generator (no plugs needed and no loadshedding problems). It simulates power output and cadence without any additional peripherals - just mount your bike on the trainer and pair it via Bluetooth or ANT+ to your computer or phone and you're ready to go.

Note: If you go with a wheel on trainer it's best to use a trainer specific tyre though - a normal slick tyre will wear out very quickly.

The Bushido Smart works well with virtual training apps like Zwift. If you're thinking of going down that route, then this is a simple and practical way to get started. 

There are a few Bushido's on the marketplace between R5k - R6k. Well worth checking them out for an all-in-one solution.