Crank brother egg beaters

Daniel Silva

Hi guys

I am currently running the normal shimano Mtb cleats and peddles on my bike however when I bought my bike I got a set of eggbeaters with them, it’s it worth putting them on and trying them out ?

If so where can I find cheap cleats for crankbrother peddles, new ones are quite pricey so not sure if I really wanna pay full price incase I don’t like them. If anyone knows where I can get them at a good price or has second hand ones please let me know.

Thanks

I've used both - love the eggbeaters.  Don't clog up with mud, can cleat in from front or back.

Boycotted them for a while because of some sh!t attitude I got from the importer over a set I bought that weren't assembled properly at factory, but went back because they better.

Price of cleats tho is ridiculous. Paid NZD50 or so here.

No aftermarket cleats are available so you'll have to suck it up

And they wear out fairly quick(made of brass) so plan on replacing them at least once a year depending on how much riding you do

Sorry to say. Crank brothers cleats are expensive and cleats dont last very long.

My riding partner has fitted look pedals now as the CB cleats were just too expensive.

Apart from the massive amount of reports about bearing failures and it being the very same reason why I sold the only eggbeater set I ever had and would never trust them again I am sure you could try them...

Honestly wouldn't waste money on the cleats if you did not get any with...

My money is on Look and alternatively Time pedals. Never any issues. my Look S-Tracks has about 18000 km on them and I have only cleaned and re-greased the bearings every year or so...

My buddy has Time pedals with similar kms and reliability.

Just buy the expensive cleats and use the eggbeaters. You can thank me later .

From me that has done at least 80 000 Kms on eggbeaters.

I fully agree. My pair is 6 years old and never gave me any problems..Buy the cleats and pay no attention to the doomsayers who "..have a friend who had problems...."etc. 

You are gonna get lots of for and lots of against arguments. At the end of the day it comes down to preference, I have ridden both CB pedals and Shimano pedals and to be honest I have no preference. They are different - the CB has more float and a less distinct click than the Shimano when clipping in, and probably better at shedding mud. Shimano on the other hand has a more solid feel (to me) and I don't think anyone can argue that a Shimano pedal is not reliable - you hear of people having some issues with CB, but honestly I have not heard of many having issues with Shimano pedals. 

My 2c, if you don't have any issues with the Shimanos you have on now, why spend R500 to make an unnecessary change? If you want more float, better mud shedding, etc then it's worth trying. 

I currently run Shimano trail pedals on my bike, I have probably 5 or 6 spare sets of cleats in my spares bin - I will use all of them before fitting my CB pedals again (which probably won't happen in my lifetime). The reason I initially went CB was because I had 5.10 shoes which did not play so well with Shimano pedals - when those shoes were tired the CB came off and the Shimanos went back on and has stayed on since.

Do a search on egg beater in this or many other forums and you will find a lot of good and bad. It is up to you to make up your own mind. Personal experience with failures and having to replace bearings etc. - I got rid of the set I had. I have no problems with look or shimano SPD and have run both lots. Maybe there is also a reason Crank Bros have a bearing kit and others just dont.

Fact is you have a set so weigh out new cleats vs buying other pedals for yourself and decide but I think the fact that you are looking for used cleats etc. you have already made that choice.

Incidently what guys won't tell you is that CB themselves admitted failure in design of their spindle/bearing system and post 2016 redesigned the pedals with a new double spindle seal which seem to help. So depending on whether yours is pre or post 2016's redesign it should influence your decision whether the juice is worth the squeeze or not.

Thanks for all the input, definitely much appreciated. Definitely some really good pints I hadn’t quite thought of so thanks.

Used them for many years and found the following negatives:

1 - Bearings wear out very quickly, creating a wobble and squeaking noises. Bearing kits are not cheap.

2 - The Eggbeater bends rather easily when his against a rock, 2 sets gone because of this. 

3 - Cleats wear out quickly and are not cheap.

These were the positives:

1 - Easy to clip in and out of in any conditions

2 - Lightweight if you get the top end ones

3 - Easy to service

However, after a few sets either breaking or wearing out, I decided to try a set of Shimano XT pedals and have not looked back since. The Shimano is more stable on the foot, the cleat feels more secure when in the pedal. I have not had any issues with regards to clipping in when riding in the mud. I have not had to change bearings or anything since I got them 8 years ago. Absolutely bombproof. 

Thanks for all the input, definitely much appreciated. Definitely some really good pints I hadn’t quite thought of so thanks.

also missing a few pints with this lockdown...

Used them for many years and found the following negatives:

1 - Bearings wear out very quickly, creating a wobble and squeaking noises. Bearing kits are not cheap.

2 - The Eggbeater bends rather easily when his against a rock, 2 sets gone because of this. 

3 - Cleats wear out quickly and are not cheap.

These were the positives:

1 - Easy to clip in and out of in any conditions

2 - Lightweight if you get the top end ones

3 - Easy to service

However, after a few sets either breaking or wearing out, I decided to try a set of Shimano XT pedals and have not looked back since. The Shimano is more stable on the foot, the cleat feels more secure when in the pedal. I have not had any issues with regards to clipping in when riding in the mud. I have not had to change bearings or anything since I got them 8 years ago. Absolutely bombproof. 

Sounds like you may just have a set of used cleats somewhere for the man to try them...  :lol:

Re ; Getting more life out of the pedals and cleats;-

I have used CB forever, and they are for me definitely easier to get in and out on muddy conditions. BUT, yes the cleats are expensive and the 'bushings' rather than bearings, are the problem.

My (Man-Friday)Solutions - maybe not for OP , but possibly other CB pedal users.

The CLEATS:

Once the cleats get worn, turn them around, and/or change over to opposite shoe. That gets you more life out of them because the worst wear is mainly at a certain spot.

The Pedals / BUSHINGS:

As far as the bearings go; unless destroyed, they are easy to service/clean/regrease yourself - however the bushing on the crank side gets dirt in and it wears out on the inside surface - requiring replacement.

My solution is to remove the bushing, cut the bushing ring shape open(steel saw) i.e. resulting in a C shape.

The two open ends can then be pushed in/closed, to form a tight fit on the axle again.  Test on the axle for a tight fit - in case the bushing needs to be made even smaller.

I then cut a thin strip off a tin can, shape it into a circle and insert that in the pedals cavity where the bushing goes,  so that the ''now smaller' bushings, with my diy spacer,  fits tight in the pedal cavity. 

(sand the outer sharp edge of the bushing on the one side, and grease it, so that it can slide into the 'spacer'.

(lately I have been using pieces cut from a broken tape-measure to make the 'spacers')

Hi guys

I am currently running the normal shimano Mtb cleats and peddles on my bike however when I bought my bike I got a set of eggbeaters with them, it’s it worth putting them on and trying them out ?

If so where can I find cheap cleats for crankbrother peddles, new ones are quite pricey so not sure if I really wanna pay full price incase I don’t like them. If anyone knows where I can get them at a good price or has second hand ones please let me know.

Thanks

so you're starting a thread about pedals after buying pedals from a pedal peddle peddlar who peddles in pedals without cleats.......hmmmmmm

CrankBrothers main peddler is Omnico (Pty) Ltd.

They peddle to shops like Bikemob.co.za, Bridge Cycles, Olympic Cycles, Williams Bike Shop Chris Willemse cycles cwcyles.co.za etc

Is it worth the switch from Shimano?

Yes if you like lots of float between your shoe and pedal then the eggbeater is the pedal for you.

other advantages include, easy clip in when the cleats and pedals are covered in mud, ore regular maintenance and 4 sided clip in options

Re ; Getting more life out of the pedals and cleats;-

I have used CB forever, and they are for me definitely easier to get in and out on muddy conditions. BUT, yes the cleats are expensive and the 'bushings' rather than bearings, are the problem.

My (Man-Friday)Solutions - maybe not for OP , but possibly other CB pedal users.

The CLEATS:

Once the cleats get worn, turn them around, and/or change over to opposite shoe. That gets you more life out of them because the worst wear is mainly at a certain spot.

The Pedals / BUSHINGS:

As far as the bearings go; unless destroyed, they are easy to service/clean/regrease yourself - however the bushing on the crank side gets dirt in and it wears out on the inside surface - requiring replacement.

My solution is to remove the bushing, cut the bushing ring shape open(steel saw) i.e. resulting in a C shape.

The two open ends can then be pushed in/closed, to form a tight fit on the axle again.  Test on the axle for a tight fit - in case the bushing needs to be made even smaller.

I then cut a thin strip off a tin can, shape it into a circle and insert that in the pedals cavity where the bushing goes,  so that the ''now smaller' bushings, with my diy spacer,  fits tight in the pedal cavity. 

(sand the outer sharp edge of the bushing on the one side, and grease it, so that it can slide into the 'spacer'.

(lately I have been using pieces cut from a broken tape-measure to make the 'spacers')

Love my CB pedals. Good idea on swapping them around.

Think ill hold off the macguyver bushing mod for now