Spinbike Fix - Crank has play - Help Please :(

lyslexic

I bought a spin bike recently off the hub which was "in great working condition"... I'm sure you know where this is going. 

It arrived and it's not. The Crank is loose, moves from side to side. I've tried to tighten it but it seems like it's the bottom bracket that is loose. If I tighten the chain, then the crank / bottom bracket makes a grinding sound which i'm sure is not good. 

I don't have a crank puller so can't remove the crank... 

Do I

A. Find a crank remover, and see what's going on with the BB?

B. Can someone recommend a spinbike mechanic in Cape Town that I can call?

Bike is a Star Trac NXT (Looks like Gen3, not sure which one)

Check this out, I was looking for a spinning bike after a hip replacement and came across this bloke.

The first section may give you motion sickness but stick with it, the info about the bottom bracket is interesting.

I bought an IDT instead.

Check this out, I was looking for a spinning bike after a hip replacement and came across this bloke.

The first section may give you motion sickness but stick with it, the info about the bottom bracket is interesting.

I bought an IDT instead.

Actually watched this video before buying the bike. Seller was in a different province and I asked about the mechanical condition and was told that it was perfect. He lied and I'm 8.5K down :(

Right now I'm just trying to get it fixed so i don't have an expensive lemon taking up space. It's a bit heavy to cart to a bicycle shop and i can't lift it due to shoulder surgery. Finding someone to come out to fix is proving difficult. seems to be loads of people in joburg but not in cape town. 

hindsight, should have gone with a roadbike and idt. 

What does the seller have to say for himself?

If not name and shame. 

Report the seller to the site admins as well. We don't need trash like that ripping off buyers.

Edited by DR ◣◢

Indeed!

A cheap road bike and Kickr Snap or similar would have set you back around R9k - R10k.

That being said, you now have the spin bike. It should be a relatively easy fix. Maybe take it to a bike shop who has a crank puller, or alternatively, buy the crank puller yourself.

*Edit: Spelling

Edited by Schnavel

What does the seller have to say for himself?

If not name and shame. 

Report the seller to the site admins as well. We don't need trash like that ripping off buyers.

Just says take it to a bike shop. It's a proprietary star trac bottom bracket which costs 80gbp so i don't think a bike shop can help but I will try, 

will be sure to leave him a review once I figure out what's wrong. I was skeptical seeing as he had over 100 items for sale over time but no good or bad reviews, but he's been a member since 2015 so I figured it should be fine. 

Actually watched this video before buying the bike. Seller was in a different province and I asked about the mechanical condition and was told that it was perfect. He lied and I'm 8.5K down :(

Right now I'm just trying to get it fixed so i don't have an expensive lemon taking up space. It's a bit heavy to cart to a bicycle shop and i can't lift it due to shoulder surgery. Finding someone to come out to fix is proving difficult. seems to be loads of people in joburg but not in cape town. 

That's a bummer.

A square taper extractor is a fairly inexpensive tool. If you are mechanically minded removing the bearings and sourcing replacements shouldn't be too difficult.

If you have the time and inclination of course.

I would be inclined to ask for some recompense considering you were not informed about the defect.

That's a bummer.

A square taper extractor is a fairly inexpensive tool. If you are mechanically minded removing the bearings and sourcing replacements shouldn't be too difficult.

If you have the time and inclination of course.

I would be inclined to ask for some recompense considering you were not informed about the defect.

Thanks for the advice. I've bought the tool. waiting for it to be delivered.

Will try source new bearings locally first and hope that fixes it before I import the bottom bracket. 

I had a similar problem on a Trojan. (Similar BB to the picture)

The Bearings Were Loose on the Frame. I noticed some Play.

Used Epoxy to Fix It. It Lasted A Couple of Years but Turfed it due to Other Problems.

I had a similar problem on a Trojan. (Similar BB to the picture)

The Bearings Were Loose on the Frame. I noticed some Play.

Used Epoxy to Fix It. It Lasted A Couple of Years but Turfed it due to Other Problems.

After removing the crank, bearings are loose in the frame. Now I feel even more ripped off and feel like I should have spent the 8K on a new spin bike or a road bike and IDT :(

How did you epoxy it? Remove the bearings, apply epoxy, put the bearings back and wait for the epoxy to set?

I'm wondering if new bearings will work but I doubt it.  Might try source some to try first but would still like to know your epoxy method please. 

After removing the crank, bearings are loose in the frame. Now I feel even more ripped off and feel like I should have spent the 8K on a new spin bike or a road bike and IDT :(

How did you epoxy it? Remove the bearings, apply epoxy, put the bearings back and wait for the epoxy to set?

I'm wondering if new bearings will work but I doubt it.  Might try source some to try first but would still like to know your epoxy method please. 

Unless the bottom bracket is worn to the extent that the bearings fall around in there you will probably be able to solve your issue very easily.

You get bearing retaining compound from Locktite (Locktite green)  and other manufacturers, that would assist in keeping the bearings in place. Just make sure that you get the one that will allow for future disassembly. Having said that even the strong retaining compound will break down/release with heat.

I have managed to keep a center bearing on the propshaft on an Isuzu well and properly in place without any issues for at least 50 000 kilometers now.

Applying it is easy. Make sure that the bottom bracket and outer bearing surfaces are completely clean and degreased. Coat the inner surface of the bottom bracket, where the bearing must sit with the compound. Using an earbud works well. Put a bead of compound around the outer edge (that is to say the outside of the race (The edge that would slip in first) and install the bearing. It is advisable that you rotate the outer race as you install it to ensure even spreading of the compound but I suspect that you may struggle to do that. If you coated the surfaces properly it should be more than fine. Assemble the rest of the crank as normal. You would need to give the retaining compound some time to cure.

Edited by Mars1967

I put the bike on it's side.

I coated the inside of the Bearing Cup with the Epoxy and just pushed the bearing in.

Did One Side at the time. It sets within 1 hour or so.

Unless the bottom bracket is worn to the extent that the bearings fall around in there you will probably be able to solve your issue very easily.

You get bearing retaining compound from Locktite (Locktite green)  and other manufacturers, that would assist in keeping the bearings in place. Just make sure that you get the one that will allow for future disassembly. Having said that even the strong retaining compound will break down/release with heat.

I have managed to keep a center bearing on the propshaft on an Isuzu well and properly in place without any issues for at least 50 000 kilometers now.

Applying it is easy. Make sure that the bottom bracket and outer bearing surfaces are completely clean and degreased. Coat the inner surface of the bottom bracket, where the bearing must sit with the compound. Using an earbud works well. Put a bead of compound around the outer edge (that is to say the outside of the race (The edge that would slip in first) and install the bearing. It is advisable that you rotate the outer race as you install it to ensure even spreading of the compound but I suspect that you may struggle to do that. If you coated the surfaces properly it should be more than fine. Assemble the rest of the crank as normal. You would need to give the retaining compound some time to cure.

Thanks, i'll get the loctite green. 

after removing the crank, there was also play in the bottom bracket so i've ordered the new bearings and bottom bracket from the US. Should arrive on Monday. Will add the loctite before installation of the new bearings though.